IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

what am I ?

aussiearoids

Pretty little palm I saw recently :drool:

post-354-062804900 1304399102_thumb.jpg

New leaf looks pretty amazing so i am told .

post-354-067474000 1304399237_thumb.jpg

this is the underneath .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Pretty little palm I saw recently :drool:

post-354-062804900 1304399102_thumb.jpg

New leaf looks pretty amazing so i am told .

post-354-067474000 1304399237_thumb.jpg

this is the underneath .

Pinanga Vietchii ?

Did you get any, Michael? It does look like P. veitchii....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

hahah thats what I said when I first saw it . Wrong continent .

hahah thats what I said when I first saw it . Wrong continent .

Geonoma epetiolata or geo leptospadix

Yep im going with Geonoma epetiolata too, and a good sized one at that :drool:

Correct , and yes a very nice size .

No prizes for guessing who has it either .

• 11 months later...

A nice seedling of this on 'that popular auction site' being offered for a high price right now ..:unsure:

Finishes tonite .. no bids so far , and I am not going to make 1 .:mrlooney:

I am not going to buy anymore expensive palms :winkie:

Michael:

You are probably wise to keep your coin in the old oak chest. In spite of this species obvious allure, it is extremely difficult to succeed with outside of origin. I have fought with mine for more than 5 yrs years; they are maddeningly difficult to grow to perfection, much less transplant across international borders or to succeed with if one does not have a suitable greehouse. I would wager that that Jeff Searle, the good "Wizard of Oz" and the gifted Mr. Marcus would all concur. I have four near flowering-sized, seed-grown plants re-established in California and around 10 in Guatemala and would not recommend them to anyone who is not an exceptional cloud forest palm grower with access to good water and a good array of new generation fungicides.

Pinanga veitchii, while difficult for almost everyone is, indeed, a much more practical challenge for most tropical palm growers. High white Pinanga disticha, IMO, is an even better choice for people who like this look.

J

Yes Jay , good advice and I will stick to my couple of different Pinanga disticha forms atm.

I lost my white disticha last dry season.... very annoyed with that....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Michael:

You are probably wise to keep your coin in the old oak chest. In spite of this species obvious allure, it is extremely difficult to succeed with outside of origin. I have fought with mine for more than 5 yrs years; they are maddeningly difficult to grow to perfection, much less transplant across international borders or to succeed with if one does not have a suitable greehouse. I would wager that that Jeff Searle, the good "Wizard of Oz" and the gifted Mr. Marcus would all concur. I have four near flowering-sized, seed-grown plants re-established in California and around 10 in Guatemala and would not recommend them to anyone who is not an exceptional cloud forest palm grower with access to good water and a good array of new generation fungicides.

Pinanga veitchii, while difficult for almost everyone is, indeed, a much more practical challenge for most tropical palm growers. High white Pinanga disticha, IMO, is an even better choice for people who like this look.

J

Over the years in which many trips were made to see palms in natural habitat, this Geonoma species probably ranks as the #1 or maybe #2 as far as shear beauty, it's unique requirements to sustain itself, variations in color patterns within it's species, and how bloody hard it was to get there to see them!!!

I have yet to see any nice plants in cultivation, BUT, I'm hoping to see them maybe growing at Nong Nooch Gardens at this upcoming Biennial. I have faith in you, Kampon.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A nice seedling of this on 'that popular auction site' being offered for a high price right now ..:unsure:

Finishes tonite .. no bids so far , and I am not going to make 1 .:mrlooney:

I am not going to buy anymore expensive palms :winkie:

Michael, I am trying to grow some from seed at the moment, wish me luck, a few have sprouted, fingers crossed.

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c