Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

what am I ?

13 posts in this topic

Pretty little palm I saw recently :drool:

post-354-062804900 1304399102_thumb.jpg

New leaf looks pretty amazing so i am told .

post-354-067474000 1304399237_thumb.jpg

this is the underneath .

Pretty little palm I saw recently :drool:

post-354-062804900 1304399102_thumb.jpg

New leaf looks pretty amazing so i am told .

post-354-067474000 1304399237_thumb.jpg

this is the underneath .

Pinanga Vietchii ?

Did you get any, Michael? It does look like P. veitchii....

hahah thats what I said when I first saw it . Wrong continent .

hahah thats what I said when I first saw it . Wrong continent .

Geonoma epetiolata or geo leptospadix

Yep im going with Geonoma epetiolata too, and a good sized one at that :drool:

Correct , and yes a very nice size .

No prizes for guessing who has it either .

A nice seedling of this on 'that popular auction site' being offered for a high price right now ..:unsure:

Finishes tonite .. no bids so far , and I am not going to make 1 .:mrlooney:

I am not going to buy anymore expensive palms :winkie:

Michael:

You are probably wise to keep your coin in the old oak chest. In spite of this species obvious allure, it is extremely difficult to succeed with outside of origin. I have fought with mine for more than 5 yrs years; they are maddeningly difficult to grow to perfection, much less transplant across international borders or to succeed with if one does not have a suitable greehouse. I would wager that that Jeff Searle, the good "Wizard of Oz" and the gifted Mr. Marcus would all concur. I have four near flowering-sized, seed-grown plants re-established in California and around 10 in Guatemala and would not recommend them to anyone who is not an exceptional cloud forest palm grower with access to good water and a good array of new generation fungicides.

Pinanga veitchii, while difficult for almost everyone is, indeed, a much more practical challenge for most tropical palm growers. High white Pinanga disticha, IMO, is an even better choice for people who like this look.

J

Yes Jay , good advice and I will stick to my couple of different Pinanga disticha forms atm.

I lost my white disticha last dry season.... very annoyed with that....

Michael:

You are probably wise to keep your coin in the old oak chest. In spite of this species obvious allure, it is extremely difficult to succeed with outside of origin. I have fought with mine for more than 5 yrs years; they are maddeningly difficult to grow to perfection, much less transplant across international borders or to succeed with if one does not have a suitable greehouse. I would wager that that Jeff Searle, the good "Wizard of Oz" and the gifted Mr. Marcus would all concur. I have four near flowering-sized, seed-grown plants re-established in California and around 10 in Guatemala and would not recommend them to anyone who is not an exceptional cloud forest palm grower with access to good water and a good array of new generation fungicides.

Pinanga veitchii, while difficult for almost everyone is, indeed, a much more practical challenge for most tropical palm growers. High white Pinanga disticha, IMO, is an even better choice for people who like this look.

J

Over the years in which many trips were made to see palms in natural habitat, this Geonoma species probably ranks as the #1 or maybe #2 as far as shear beauty, it's unique requirements to sustain itself, variations in color patterns within it's species, and how bloody hard it was to get there to see them!!!

I have yet to see any nice plants in cultivation, BUT, I'm hoping to see them maybe growing at Nong Nooch Gardens at this upcoming Biennial. I have faith in you, Kampon.

A nice seedling of this on 'that popular auction site' being offered for a high price right now ..:unsure:

Finishes tonite .. no bids so far , and I am not going to make 1 .:mrlooney:

I am not going to buy anymore expensive palms :winkie:

Michael, I am trying to grow some from seed at the moment, wish me luck, a few have sprouted, fingers crossed.