IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cool Cordyline Species

JasonD

Another pitch: Who's growing Cordyline banksii, C. indivisa?

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Neither of those species will grow here as they don't like the combination of heat and humidity :(

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Cordyline dracaenoides

img_1519.jpg

Cordyline manners-suttoniae

img_0704.jpg

img_1099.jpg

Cordyline petiolaris

img_1100.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric, nice to see some of the Australian Cordylines in cultivation in the U.S. Cordyline manners-suttoniae is found locally in my area.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Another pitch: Who's growing Cordyline banksii, C. indivisa?

Here's my C.indivisa, photo was from last year, I grew it from a plug. Doesn't need much heat to grow and one of very few that likes a little shade.

Two photos.

DSC00048-1.jpg

Cordyline A. 'torbay dazzler', this photo is from January this year, planted since then.

9f367975.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Jason,

San Marcos has C. banksii and Monrovia has C. indivisa. Gary Gragg has some but not sure which species. Here is a photo from last year.

post-608-061460300 1304139510_thumb.jpg

I can almost certainly say that these are Cordyline petiolaris......An Australian native from the humid subtropics of Queensland and Northern New South Wales.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Jason,

San Marcos has C. banksii and Monrovia has C. indivisa. Gary Gragg has some but not sure which species. Here is a photo from last year.

post-608-061460300 1304139510_thumb.jpg

Monrovia has it wrong.

Some growers in the USA are still using the incorrect name C. indivisia, but are really growing C. 'australis'. To bad they are not growing the real C. indivisia , a much more exotic looking cordyline.

I got mine from 'Rare plant research' a nursery just outside of Portland, Oregon.

Edited by Palm crazy

Dracaena indivisa (???) is sold as a plug plant here in New England, and costs $1 each, or less - very common and used as an annual. Can somebody please confirm that is really what they are, or a Cordyline, or what ?

There's also a purple leaf form of the same.

Dracaena indivisa (???) is sold as a plug plant here in New England, and costs $1 each, or less - very common and used as an annual. Can somebody please confirm that is really what they are, or a Cordyline, or what ?

There's also a purple leaf form of the same.

The green ones used as annuals in New England are Cordyline australis. The colorful ones are selections and hybrids of same, like 'Atropurpurea', 'Dark Star', and 'Red Star'.

Daxin, I've not yet seen San Marcos's C. banksii crop.

Suncrest had a crop of either C. indivisa or C. banksii last year (can't remember which) but it turned out to be C. australis.

I once grew a crop off the now-deceased C. banksii at SFBG, some individuals of which are still scattered around town (including in my backyard). Some of them are clear X self and others are X australis.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

I think there are two types of plants being discussed as the annual plugs - one has wider leaves (Cordylines including those cultivars), and then there's one that has grass-like long leaves - quite distinct from the other. If somebody else knows what I'm talking about, please chime in.

Best, Jude

C. indivisa has the most impressive foliage of any Cordyline species, IMO. It is actually slightly hardier than C. australis, but is very vulnerable to attack by phytophthora. Avoid clay soils and seepage areas. Although it comes from mountainous areas, it tolerates salt winds very well. Here is a link to a mature specimen growing at Mount Stewart Gardens, Northern Ireland.

Cordyline indivisa

Michael, SW Ireland, cool oceanic climate

16 yr absolute min -3c, 16 yr absolute max +28c

July av. max/min 20/14c, January av. max/min 10/6c

Real beauties!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I've tried C. banksii and C. indivisia here and neither survive.

Most C. australis die here too.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is last years link to some of the cordylines I have and most of these are only one/two years in the ground. Cordyline red sensation ( not hardy for me hates wet cold winters) die to the ground this winter but the rest are ok and some will develop trunks this summer.

Click here. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=23906&st=0&p=397673&hl=cordylines&fromsearch=1&#entry397673

Edited by Palm crazy

Here is this years new one or at least new for me. Easy to fine in Cali but not in Washington state. I got two then someone got the last three. :mrlooney:

Cordyline australis 'Krakatoa' likes to grow in part shade during the hottest weather other wise color bleaches out.

DSC00015-1.jpg

Here is this years new one or at least new for me. Easy to fine in Cali but not in Washington state. I got two then someone got the last three. :mrlooney:

Cordyline australis 'Krakatoa' likes to grow in part shade during the hottest weather other wise color bleaches out.

DSC00015-1.jpg

These are gorgeous, the red is stunning.........if only they wouldn't collapse on me in the summer months !!!

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

• 8 months later...

I'd like to resurrect this thread. I am interested in tracking down some species Cordyline to try as potted houseplants here in Wisconsin, USA. I can also give plants some indoor protection during our long cold and dry wintertime here.

Can anybody suggest ideas for finding some of these true species such as C. banksii, C. petiolaris, C. indivisia or others for mail order?

Here's the whole list of everything that RarePalmSeeds.com is currently offering...

• Cordyline australis
  • Cordyline banksii
  • Cordyline dracaenoides
  • Cordyline fruticosa (= C. terminalis)
  • Cordyline indivisa
  • Cordyline mauritiana
  • Cordyline neocaledonica
  • Cordyline petiolaris
  • Cordyline pumilio
  • Cordyline sp. (Cyclops)
  • Cordyline sp. (Wide Leaf)
  • Cordyline stricta

I'd be interested in any observations or thoughts on germinating and growing any of these.

I'd like to resurrect this thread. I am interested in tracking down some species Cordyline to try as potted houseplants here in Wisconsin, USA. I can also give plants some indoor protection during our long cold and dry wintertime here.

Can anybody suggest ideas for finding some of these true species such as C. banksii, C. petiolaris, C. indivisia or others for mail order?

Fry Road Nursery does mail order, they have a few nice colorful hybrids. Their shipping is pretty high! They have a lot Heat and Cool loving tropicals you might like to, check them out. (Wholesale / Retail)

http://www.storesonlinepro.com/store/2418111/search?pathprefix=%2Fstore%2F2418111%2F&account=2418111&pid=1326576920702&searchwords_4920=cordyline

Edited by Palm crazy

Here's the whole list of everything that RarePalmSeeds.com is currently offering...

• Cordyline australis
  • Cordyline banksii
  • Cordyline dracaenoides
  • Cordyline indivisa
  • Cordyline mauritiana
  • Cordyline petiolaris
  • Cordyline pumilio
  • Cordyline stricta

I'd be interested in any observations or thoughts on germinating and growing any of these.

Cordyline stricta and Cordyline petiolaris are both Australian native Cordylines that occur naturally in the subtropical rainforests of Queensland and northern New South Wales. They are both easy species to propagate and grow and will grow in just about any soil as long as it is well drained. Seed strikes very easily and has quite long viability. Cordyline petiolaris is one of my favourite Australian Natives, but can only be grown successfully by seed or by tuber cuttings.....it doesn't strike well from cuttings.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

• 1 month later...

• Cordyline australis - easy to germinate; try 50-75F
  • Cordyline banksii - also easy, same temp range. Beautiful broad leaves arranged in clear spirals in the crown. Branches.
  • Cordyline dracaenoides
  • Cordyline indivisa - I'd suggest cooler temps, 40-70F; protect from heat
  • Cordyline mauritiana
  • Cordyline petiolaris
  • Cordyline pumilio - A grassy species, tough, minimal trunking
  • Cordyline stricta - easy to grow indoors but gets mealybug. Pretty purple flowers. Thicketing, each stem is slender with dainty leaves. Almost like a large Miscanthus.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

• 2 weeks later...

Cordylines seems to do quite well in our cool, humid climate and C. indivisa is something of a star performer albeit slower than australis, banksii and stricta. I grew mine from seed some years ago and this one was seriously neglected for 2 years or so. Despite being dried out, frozen solid and generally kicked about, it immediately responded to a bit of TLC and is now developing into a very handsome plant with a thick, 30" trunk. This was taken back in January just as it was resuming growth. A new offset has appeared in the past 12 months so with a bit of luck it will eventually become a multi-trunked specimen.

indivisa_2012_1.jpg

And 12 months earlier:

indivisa-1-1.jpg

Coastal South Devon,  England

Cordylines seems to do quite well in our cool, humid climate and C. indivisa is something of a star performer albeit slower than australis, banksii and stricta. I grew mine from seed some years ago and this one was seriously neglected for 2 years or so. Despite being dried out, frozen solid and generally kicked about, it immediately responded to a bit of TLC and is now developing into a very handsome plant with a thick, 30" trunk. This was taken back in January just as it was resuming growth. A new offset has appeared in the past 12 months so with a bit of luck it will eventually become a multi-trunked specimen.

indivisa_2012_1.jpg

And 12 months earlier:

indivisa-1-1.jpg

Nice Photos there Dave, I have seen the cool climate New Zealand Cordylines growing in gardens featured on the British show 'Escape to the Country'. They are obviously quite cold tolerant.....they don't do any good here though, they survive ok in the winter but the tropical humid summers knock them over.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

That's the biggest indivisa I've ever seen in cultivation! Congratulations.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a