IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I read something interesting about palms!

Howeadypsis

I got a copy of The Living Wisdom of Trees by Fred Hageneder for xmas and it features a CIDP, had to have a look!

It mentioned that palms are so called because of the word palma, which denotes the hand. That bit I knew already, and  of course Phoenix is the  mystical bird that builds its nest and pyre out of myrrh and frankincense. After its death by fire it rises from the ashes for another life cycle of 1,461 years. Not sure what that bit has to do with palms but  it then goes to say that the dates were called 'fingers', and the greek word for fingers is 'dactyl'.

And the latin name for CIDP is Phoenix dactylifera!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

The date palm is one of the original "starter set" of scientific names for plants, having been published in 1753.  Here's the citation, from Missouri Botanical Garden's TROPICOS:

Phoenix dactylifera L. - Species Plantarum 2: 1188. 1753

I'm sure Linneaus was simply using a name that was already widely used.  He was no Latin scholar, so he wouldn't have been doing anything clever.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Palm tree in modern greek is φοινικιά (something like phoynikia - foy-nee-kee-ah). I would like to know when it started and what is the relation with the mythical bird.

Carlo

Carlo- some of the characters aren't showing up. Is a bunch of &#and 3 digits of numbers. Also, CiDP is Phoenix canariensis. The Phoenix dactylifera is the Edible date or just Date.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

I thought the latin for cidp is phoenix canariensis?

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

duh me,i goofed there! I  just realised I meant to write date palm not CIDP!

I wouldnt worry Larry most of us goof from time to time.

Regardez

Juan

PS. Pleeez keep your cold weather up there as I grow many "tender" plants down here without protection.(Clyostoma,Podranea,Tecomaria and very many others including a Cestrum which has been flowering away for at least a year

I suspect many friends esp in the States find it almost impossible to believe the wild climatic differences we experience in this very tiny island.

If you can garden well here you will find the Med real easy and the tropics even easier!

Juan

Bilbo, I see from your profile you're in England too,must be somewhere well south of me! The wind is atrocious up here at the moment!

Larry; Im sure a lot further south of yourself being almost on the beach in West Sussex -  couple miles west of Worthing.

I am about thee hundred yards from the seafront.

Cant usually see the sea from here (due to a shelter belt) but can certainly hear it when its windy!

I too am sometimes caught by gales and of course the Great Storm some years back caused local damage.

The main difference between us is daylight temperature and marine influence.

The Isle of Wight to my west gets a little of the "Gulf Stream" as its popularly called and I get a trickle of that N.Atlantic Drift that makes a very big difference.

The area between Bexhill and Bognor also enjoys the highest levels of summer sun and hence stronger growth and better ripening by autumn.

I know Im lucky but I made my own luck by moving here in 1993 a distance of a bare 1.5 miles south but a quantum leap in possibilities.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Dear Folks  :)

I do not know much about Latin.But one thing is clear

that nursery people and gardeners in india must have

undergone a course in latin.

Since whenever i showed stills of CIDP from TIME

magazine or from National Geography,those Idiots

kept telling me that they are nothing more than

regular date-palm trees growing in cooler parts of

the world and they are healthy as they are regularly

fed with fine quality Fertz.

And as a boy i had no choice but to believe what those

Nuts told me.so i went on a rampage collecting fine

quality date palm seeds which i procured from U.S &

Middle-east.

lots of seeds germinated & grew up into healthy saplings.

3 different species were planted at our residence & rest

were all given away to our workers who live in villages.

Only recently i can to known about my folly & repented a

lot.for wasting such expensive real estate value_by mearly

planting edible date palms,instead of my child-hood love_

Phoenix Canariensis(CIDP's).

And when i explained this information to those Idoits,who

thought they knew every thing.they immedietly said that

those CIDP's want grow in S.India.

GOD SAVE US FROM THOSE GUYS !!!  :D

Thanks for listening..

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

that kinda reminds me of the old fable about the only sighted guy in the country of the blind.

They didnt believe either.

Just keep at it!

Regardez

Juan

Juan

hey Bilbo,it sounds nice where you are,and you obviously have some palms growing outside. strictly indoor palms for me up here! someone up the road had a newly bought CIDP in planter out in the front garden and they just covered it in a loosely fitted black bin bag-we've had frost so i expect its dead now!

Larry you are probably right about that CIDP and esp as itsa ina poly bin bag!

No real frost protection there and that poly is only going to make things worse as it wont breathe!

CIDPs are cheap and quick and hence widely planted - but usually too close to a house or garden wall which means future probs.

Sure the guy in the Garden Centre said palm roots wont cause damage and in most cases thats certainly true but palm trunks DO expand (!) hence the eventual tears and traumas.

You are right that I am lucky here with my local climate down here.

Palms grown in no particular order:

Cham.humilis: 6'+

Cham."Cerifera": 2'

Trachy.fort : 12'

B caps (x2) : 8' and 17'+( in fruit galore now)

CIDPs x3 : to 10'

B armata: 7'

B edulis :  7'

S romanzoffiana : 18'

( only B.edulis has ever shown any slight winter damage and all are unprotected)

Thats next to no palms by many of our members reckoning.

Anyway you could grow all of those and more perhaps but for the cruel facts of our climate difference

Cest la vie mon ami.

You are welcome down here this year but give me loadsa notice - next year in 2008 I will be charging as part of the NGS Yellow Book Scheme for charities.

The journalists will no doubt hate NOT to see herbaceous borders, hanging baskets and immaculate stripey lawns (yuk).

Regardez

Juan (Jon Kenahan)

As you are a new member I should mention that some of us have picked up aliases along the way including our IPS President.

Juan

(Carlo Morici @ Jan. 07 2007,16:35)

Palm tree in modern greek is φοινικιά (something like phoynikia - foy-nee-kee-ah). I would like to know when it started and what is the relation with the mythical bird.

Carlo

The Phoenix, or Egyptian Bennu, is said to be the soul of the Sun God Ra, associated with resurrection and the sun, and represented by an eagle with red and gold feathers, maybe evolved from a winged disc symbol of the sun. When its wings become heavy with age, the bird builds a nest of spices, herbs, and resin in the top of a date palm. The heat of the sun ignites the twigs, and the phoenix stands in the flames with outspread wings. The bird burns to ashes [symbolizing winter?]. In cool starlight a young phoenix forms in the remains of its parent. The reborn bird rises [like every good boy sun god] with the rising sun and spreads its bright new wings to greet the day [and keep our palms alive].

The Eagle is evolved from the symbol of the Phoenix, the sacred sun bird of the Egyptians and Phoenicians, and the Native American version is the Thunderbird. In fact, the original model for the Seal (as proposed by the 3rd Great Seal Committee) had a Phoenix resting in a nest of flames instead of an Eagle.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I sincerely regret that my earlier remarks on UK climate have proven only too true.

Storms for sure, 7 folks are dead and considerable but llimited damage  here in the UK.

I personally have been very lucky indeed with no probs.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

well Bilbo we're feeling those storyr today,its incredibly windy today,difficult to walk in. btw in that list of palms you are growing what genus  is the last one? (romanzoffiana) not heard that before!