IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germination and stuff

The Palm Nut

Got back from holidays in Queensland and brought back 6 coconuts which I managed to fell with the help of a friend. Believe me its not easy in a town like Gladstone. For one thing Gladstone is not in the tropics and seed is not easy to find particularly viable ones. There's not a short of palms, just that alot of them have unviable seed caused by drought or cold.

Now that Iam back in Port Macquarie I want to germinate these six as fast as possible before winter so I have decided to place all in a compose heap with a center core heat of 35C give or take a few degrees. At this temperature how long would you expect germination to take?

Iam heading off to Canada in a few days and wont be back for atleast a month, these seeds will need to be placed in pots soon after germination. What are my chances of being back in time?

Thanks

I also brought back a Ptychosperma sp. "Watu boho"

How much cold can these take?

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Mike,

I wouldnt worry about being back in time for the cocos when they germinate.

Back in 2003 I collected around 40 cocos that had fallen on the ground and germinated in a coconut grove. I palce them in some sandy soil on my property until I had time to plant them.

All of them survived.

Here they are right after I collected them,

IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/brianexpa/MVC-687S.jpg

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

Mike,

Thats a good way that Brian germinated the coconuts. It's that easy.

My Pty. sp. wotoboho have taken down to 30-32 F. with no problems.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff and Brian.

My main concern was the germination, as I was providing heat through the compost, once the roots emerged moisture was void. The milk in the seed will keep it alive, but for how long?  

Mike

Here is a picture of the compost heap.

post-250-1168336011_thumb.jpg

And as I dont live in the tropics I havent got the constant hot and humid days that I would like.

post-250-1168336239_thumb.jpg

Suprised you had so much trouble finding coconuts in Gladstone.

Here on fraser Island they grow and seed like weeds.

Sunshine Coast

Queensland

Australia

Subtropical climate

Mike,

It wont dry out. I dont know how long the milk last but I have seen several nuts on the ground with a meter long root sitting right on top of the ground in the hot sun, while the nut was pushing out its second or third leave. (this is how I collected mine)They are extremly tough at that age. I foresee your only problem being high heat and humidity that cocos demand once they are planted.

Good luck!

Brian

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

Hi Mike

My P.Woto boto is growing in the garden so you should have no trouble at your place

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I think you will have some germinated coconuts by the time you get back. Dehusked nuts from the supermarket take about 4 wks at 32C.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.