IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wodyetia x Veitchia

ellidro

Looking for this hybrid for sale in the san diego area preferably 5g or bigger.

Thanks

Nick

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Rancho Soledad. 15 Gal and up. But be prepared - not cheap. $1000 and up.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(LJG @ Jan. 07 2007,00:48)

Whoa!

I paid 50 bucks for my 7 gallon!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

little, I mean WAYYY to steep for me!  Thanks for the info though.

(ellidro @ Jan. 07 2007,01:02)

little, I mean WAYYY to steep for me!  Thanks for the info though.

Me too that is insane. I paid 75 for my 7 gallon.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Target had some 3 gallon Foxtails for sale right before Christmas at $14.  Guess what was in the grouping??

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Yes Mike...that was a good deal back then :D  But, I am taking care of your palm well, so in that you can take solace  :;):

Larry 

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 07 2007,09:48)

Target had some 3 gallon Foxtails for sale right before Christmas at $14.  Guess what was in the grouping??

Tell me you snagged them all!

If you did....got any you want to get rid of?  You know that you really dont have room for any of them in your yard and they would look great over heer in Tarpon  :P

Larry 

The case for a trip to Florida becomes more compelling by the day . . . .

d

ave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Larry,

I bought the two in the batch and one is already planted at my sisters condo.   The other is going to Pine Island.  I'll bet all the Target stores got a similar shipment.  The store by me still had some Foxtails out there as of this past Tuesday.

Ray

Go ahead, just keep rubbing it in guys......  :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

RSN's are very large though. Not typical 15 and 35 gallon. But yes, I agree. They are not cheap.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

How do you tell the difference between the hybrid and a regular foxtail.  I saw some at a local nursery that looked mysteriously like the hybrid.

(ellidro @ Jan. 08 2007,09:20)

How do you tell the difference between the hybrid and a regular foxtail.  I saw some at a local nursery that looked mysteriously like the hybrid.

If in doubt, buy one  :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(ellidro @ Jan. 07 2007,16:20)

You would know. :)  They have the Wodyetia trunk and has more plumose leaves like Wodyetia, but has the Veitchia leaflets. I guess that is the easiest way to describe it.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for the link, anyone have a pic of a wodyetia for comparison?

These hybrids are so easy to make that it would be a shame to pay more that $5 for a 3 gallon.

The hybrids without verrigation seem to have hybrid vigor and they grow much faster than either parent. The one drawback is that the leaves are not as wind tollerent as either parent.

If you are real observant of the mother palm you can catch her when the males are finished and the females are ready to open. Make sure the next newest bloom spike is removed so its pollen will not get to your females and simply add pollen fron the other species. Mothers can produce hundreds (1000?) of seed.

I guess if you can sell them for such big bucks in Cali. you could "get rich quick". Just don't let the competition read this post!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

This is purely a rip-off at it's finest! :angry:

Jeff

Ken,

Nice looking palms.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 07 2007,18:29)

Jeff

Ken,

Nice looking palms.

While I agree they are way overpriced, they are closer to 24" box size...or 25 gal.   I know for some of that price is the "natural selection" They germinated all off the palm, let them grow enough to spot the natural hybrids, then DUMP the rest.....  :(   Thus overpricing.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 07 2007,22:08)

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 07 2007,18:29)

Jeff

Ken,

Nice looking palms.

While I agree they are way overpriced, they are closer to 24" box size...or 25 gal.   I know for some of that price is the "natural selection" They germinated all off the palm, let them grow enough to spot the natural hybrids, then DUMP the rest.....  :(   Thus overpricing.

Why dump the non hybrids?  Wouldnt they still have value?

And....I agree with Jeff.....even a 25 gallon Foxy Lady would not be worth $1000 (or anything even close) considering the growth rate.

Larry 

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 07 2007,10:07)

Larry,

I bought the two in the batch and one is already planted at my sisters condo.   The other is going to Pine Island.  I'll bet all the Target stores got a similar shipment.  The store by me still had some Foxtails out there as of this past Tuesday.

Ray

I checked 3 Targets yestyerday and nary a Foxy Lady was found :D

Larry 

Not defending, just adding facts.......

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 08 2007,10:03)

Not defending, just adding facts.......

I know....sorry if I sounded harsh.

I just cant see such a fast growing palm like this increasing in value that quickly.  Id say that mine has gone from a 7 gallon to probably what would be sold as a 25 gallon size in less than a year.  Even if I paid a premium for the 7 gallon size of say $100 (I didnt as I paid $50), not counting soil, pots, labor, etc going from $100 to $1000 in one year is a 1000% return!  

I believe this is what Jeff S. (who has a much better handle on true costs)  is getting at.

Larry 

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 07 2007,21:29)

Jeff

Ken,

Nice looking palms.

Jeff, you need to know that these Woodveitcha crosses for sale at RSN are 15 feet tall with a trunk that is 10 inches at the base, very large specimen plants. The reason these are $1000.00 dollars is that they are grown in Hawaii then shipped to California, a very expensive endeavor to ship a 20 gallon, 15 foot plant. So the price is about right considering what goes into getting these plants.  In Florida, you don't have to deal with the same issues we do, so the prices can obviously stay inexpensive. So even though the plants are expensive, we should be thankful that we have the options to buy larger palms in California. As a nursery man yourself, you can understand that very few nursery's are money-makers, they just come and go. To have an operation as large as Rancho Soledad with a growing grounds in Hawaii, the plants have to be priced to make money.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

That's quite a lot for a fast growing palm.  My guess is that this palm should grow as fast as or a tad faster than a wodyetia.  I have 6 wodyetias in the ground for about 2 years now and they are pretty fast.  For example, my smallest and shortest was only about three inches at the base and about 4 feet tall when first planted.  Now, it is close to seven inches at the base and about seven feet tall.

I still remeber about 6-8 years ago wodyetias cost about $200-$300 at Home Depot.  The same palm now cost about $39.

(BigFrond @ Jan. 08 2007,12:38)

I still remeber about 6-8 years ago wodyetias cost about $200-$300 at Home Depot.  The same palm now cost about $39.

Ill second that.

I think I have about 15 Foxtails in my yard now and didnt pay more than 10 bucks for any of them (3 gallon size).

Actually.....I did buy one that was a wimpy 7 gallon and paid $25 for it.  That one, which was pretty pathetic when I bought it, has exploded in the past year.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 08 2007,12:44)

(BigFrond @ Jan. 08 2007,12:38)

Ill second that.

I think I have about 15 Foxtails in my yard now and didnt pay more than 10 bucks for any of them (3 gallon size).

Actually.....I did buy one that was a wimpy 7 gallon and paid $25 for it.  That one, which was pretty pathetic when I bought it, has exploded in the past year.

I found that the fat, little guys grow better that the bigger ones.

Hello Gary,

A 15' tall in a 20 gallon pot, with a 10" base. And grown in Hawaii. Hmmm, anyway you slice it up, this palm is extreamly fast.

Listen, I understand there's extra cost in shipping this palm over to Calif. And everthing else involved.  And Jerry certainly has every right to price his plants accordingly. I'm sure someone out there thinks some of my palms are expensive.

This is just my opinion, based on what it takes to grow this palm. And this is a very fast palm to grow.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(BigFrond @ Jan. 08 2007,12:47)

I think so too.

As such, I have pretty much avoided buying any larger palms that have that "drawn out" look.   It seems such palms will have a much harder time becoming robust and good looking specimens.  Theyve had their "formative years" spent in perhaps unideal circumstances and it seems hard to recbound from that.

Palms that havent yet trunked are also better to nuture into prime specimens it seems, if one doesnt mind waiting a bit.

Larry 

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 08 2007,12:56)

Hello Gary,

A 15' tall in a 20 gallon pot, with a 10" base. And grown in Hawaii. Hmmm, anyway you slice it up, this palm is extreamly fast.

Listen, I understand there's extra cost in shipping this palm over to Calif. And everthing else involved.  And Jerry certainly has every right to price his plants accordingly. I'm sure someone out there thinks some of my palms are expensive.

This is just my opinion, based on what it takes to grow this palm. And this is a very fast palm to grow.

Jeff

I know Jeff, we are just faced with a very different problem here in So Cal that you don't have to deal with in Florida. It's nice to at least have a source where you can buy a large palm in So Cal, even if it costs quite a bit more. There is also the supply and demand issue that determines the proper cost of an item, the Woodveitcha's are apparently priced right since they sell as fast as we bring them in.

GAry

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

(ellidro @ Jan. 06 2007,19:15)

Looking for this hybrid for sale in the san diego area preferably 5g or bigger.

Thanks

Nick

Nick, I think Jungle Music still has some left from their last batch, although these are little guys (1 gal or liners) and still not cheap.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 09 2007,03:13)

(BigFrond @ Jan. 08 2007,12:47)

I think so too.

As such, I have pretty much avoided buying any larger palms that have that "drawn out" look.   It seems such palms will have a much harder time becoming robust and good looking specimens.  Theyve had their "formative years" spent in perhaps unideal circumstances and it seems hard to recbound from that.

Palms that havent yet trunked are also better to nuture into prime specimens it seems, if one doesnt mind waiting a bit.

Couldn't agree more. Patience is a veitchia, er, virtue.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Matt,

We are essentially out of them.  I might have a few left for $35.  We sold about 50 of them during our Sale.  They are quick, but not as quick as when grown in HI.  Remember, we let our plants see cold, typically about 38 degrees during the winter.  This slows them down but gives them hardiness.  What's nice right now (15g) are desirable Dypis like pembani, lanceolata, saintlucei, leptocheilos, etc. and  Chambeyronia, Kentiopsis, etc.  As we're not a big store selling everything from drywall to nails, we appreciate any business we can get.  Although everyone gets excited when HD gets a rare palm, I'd love to see palm enthuisiasts support their loal specialty nurseries, the "little guys".

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Hi Phil,

I've been trying to give you my business for about two years now.  Is the sudden oak death thing still a problem for shipments to Florida?  I visited the nursery back in August but you were out of town.  I foresee another trip to SoCal next month.  Hopefully, I can make it down there again.

Ray

Matty B Thanks for the feedback.  

Phil I give home depot enough of my money, I have no interest in feeding them more money for my palm addiction.  I've bought some nice stuff from you in the past and will continue to do so!

Nick

Which Veitchia is crossed with Wodyetia? I thought it was V. arecina. If that is true, then I will have a Foxy Lady factory in a few years as I have several V. arecina and W. bifurcata downwind of eachother if the wind is either from the east or west. How easily do these hybridize? The foxy lady is a beautiful palm.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Ruskin,

You are correct: Veitchia arecina.  However, I think it would hybridize with any Veitchia.  And, it's usually been accomplished passively with an overhead arecina drifting pollen down onto the Wodyetia.  Someone on this list talked about manually transfering the pollen, which would obviously be the best method.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads