IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why can't we post freebies or trades without paying?

The Silent Seed

Some of us are not wealthy enough to pay for a full membership, yet some of us (such as myself) would love to share / give away some seeds, or trade - where no money is involved - Why should we be required to pay a hefty fee just to post something we are giving away?

I understand the wisdom in having vendors / sellers having to pay something, but what about the little guys who just enjoy sharing a few seeds here and there? I mean, this puts people like myself in a position where we are "taking advantage" of the "freebies" because those people giving those seeds away, have to pay, and those of us who get those seeds, cannot return the favor.

What was the thinking behind not letting people give away, or trade seeds, if they cannot afford the membership?

Jude

Why should we be required to pay a hefty fee just to post something we are giving away?

The simple answer is that you receive so much more than just being able to post freebies. Crucially, membership pays to keep the forum running. It's a simple strategy. Everyone who joins the IPS is making it possible to post here in the first place.

Here's a possibility. Since no money is being spoken about you could maybe sneak that into the disscusing section and get away with it. Also lots of folks use PM's or emails to communicate palmy stuff so maybe there is a chance there.

Members do need bennies so here, there are some, but that may not leave you out in the cold. No pun intended. We love our NE friends.

Can you post pictures of your stuff please?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Pay attention! That's why we added the Freebies sub-forum in the Palm Exchange.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo, I think there's some misunderstanding in that case. In the Freebies forum "sticky", it opens by saying:

This is a new forum for all members to use..

If that means all members (IPS and PalmTalk) then perhaps it should be clarified? We shouldn't need to second guess or read between the lines where rules are concerned. Specifying, "for all PalmTalk forum members" would be more transparent.

Bo, I think there's some misunderstanding in that case. In the Freebies forum "sticky", it opens by saying:

This is a new forum for all members to use..

If that means all members (IPS and PalmTalk) then perhaps it should be clarified? We shouldn't need to second guess or read between the lines where rules are concerned. Specifying, "for all PalmTalk forum members" would be more transparent.

I will clarify that. But for the last four years those in the "IPS MEMBERS" group have been those who are IPS Members, and those in the "FORUM MEMBERS" group are those that are only Forum members. I assumed "all members" would have been read to include all members.

At any rate, an attempt by any registered user to list a free item in the "Freebie" section would have been just that - free (and easy).

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

But I, as an unpaid member, cannot post in the freebie section, which really doesn't make sense to me, since I'm giving something away ?

But I, as an unpaid member, cannot post in the freebie section, which really doesn't make sense to me, since I'm giving something away ?

Have you tried? A quick check of the Freebie Forum will reveal many FORUM MEMBERS like you are posting there.

Santoury, I am not a member either, and I just did a test without any problem. Have fun trading your freebies.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Santoury, I am not a member either, and I just did a test without any problem. Have fun trading your freebies.

Matt

Let me specify before some of you take an "end run" trying to avoid IPS Membership. The Freebie Forum was created, and is intended as a place to offer free items only - not a place to trade plants for other plants, other merchandise, work, precious metals, etc. And as noticed, also no free items offered with excessive shipping/handling charges attached, or other clever schemes to turn a profit. If you wish to profit, you will need to be willing to share the 12 cents a day it will cost you to post in the appropriate section of the Palm Exchange.

Matt

Let me specify before some of you try and take an "end run" around avoiding IPS Membership. This forum was created and is intended as a place to offer free items only, not a place to trade plants for other plants, other merchandise, work, precious metals, etc. And as noticed, no free items offered with excessive shipping/handling charges attached, or other clever schemes to turn a profit. If you wish to profit you can afford the 12 cents a day it would cost you to post in the Palm Exchange.

It's amazing how much you have to baby sit full grown adults, I can see it now, "Palm Seeds for Trade, will trade for $$$" :)

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Matt

Let me specify before some of you try and take an "end run" around avoiding IPS Membership. This forum was created and is intended as a place to offer free items only, not a place to trade plants for other plants, other merchandise, work, precious metals, etc. And as noticed, no free items offered with excessive shipping/handling charges attached, or other clever schemes to turn a profit. If you wish to profit you can afford the 12 cents a day it would cost you to post in the Palm Exchange.

It's amazing how much you have to baby sit full grown adults, I can see it now, "Palm Seeds for Trade, will trade for $$$" :)

And Matt, you don't get to experience the explanations and hand holding that goes on "behind the scenes."

I don't know why, but when I first joined (recently) - The "post new topic" was unavailable to me, on the freebie section. Maybe I had to be "broken in" before being allowed to? I just checked, and I now can... odd.

As for Ken's comment - I'm not going to touch that one. Maybe some people on here are sleazy, but I won't join their ranks. Sad how people automatically assume the worst sometimes.

Night all

Jude

I was about to post some freebies, but could not find anything about charging postage. I see the quote from Palm Mod saying "excessive" charges - but what about normal postage costs?

Is this intended to mean that a person can be expected to cover what it actually costs to ship, or is this a "100% free with free shipping" forum?

I'm thinking of asking people to reimburse me for shipping once they receive their freebies, since obviously each package costs a little different.

I was about to post some freebies, but could not find anything about charging postage. I see the quote from Palm Mod saying "excessive" charges - but what about normal postage costs?

Is this intended to mean that a person can be expected to cover what it actually costs to ship, or is this a "100% free with free shipping" forum?

I'm thinking of asking people to reimburse me for shipping once they receive their freebies, since obviously each package costs a little different.

As I have tried to explain, apparently unsuccessfully, is that we wanted to provide a place for anyone to promote good will and facilitate the free exchange of palms, seeds, and plants. And for those who wished to do so, out of the goodness of their hearts, an IPS Membership was not necessary. But it was not a place to be used for those wishing to gain or profit.

So, if you asked for the actual costs of shipping, then there would be no profit or gain - and certainly actual costs could not be considered excessive.