IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pittosporum resiniferum- Petroleum-Nut Tree

Eric in Orlando

Our Pittosporum resiniferum is flowering for the first time. The flowers are small and clustered around the stems. They are very fragrant and the fragrance resembles that of Cestrum nocturnum, Night Blooming Jessamine, but not as strong.

This is an evergreen tree native to the Philippines and Malaysia. The common name comes from the fruit smells like petroleum and the seed contains a flammable oil that is used in candles and lamps. It is also an excellent candidate for biofuel and lots are being grown in the Philippines. During World War 2, the Japanese used it for tank fuel. Supposedly the Allies used it for jeeps when fuel ran short. Even the leaves have a slight resin smell when crushed.

Despite being native to totally tropical regions, ours had no damage the past 2 cold winters.

img_5102.jpg

img_5099.jpg

img_5100.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

As always, you enlighten and entertain me at the same time with your great photos and information. Thank you! This will be yet another for my wish list...

Cindy Adair

Interesting that it seems to bloom in leaf axils of year-old growth as well as being cauliflorous. I remember that you showed me this when I was there last time; sure looks like it's put on some size. How big do they get in their native range?

Foliage reminiscent of Pittosporum viridiflorum (Cape Pittosporum). Have you ever tried it at Leu? Would be curious if it would take higher temps and humidity of Florida?

----

And far more common, but seldom this well-maintained, here's a large P. tobira (Midway City, CA) that I could smell half a block away.

DSC04871.jpg

Edited by fastfeat

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Interesting that it seems to bloom in leaf axils of year-old growth as well as being cauliflorous. I remember that you showed me this when I was there last time; sure looks like it's put on some size. How big do they get in their native range?

Foliage reminiscent of Pittosporum viridiflorum (Cape Pittosporum). Have you ever tried it at Leu? Would be curious if it would take higher temps and humidity of Florida?

----

And far more common, but seldom this well-maintained, here's a large P. tobira (Midway City, CA) that I could smell half a block away.

DSC04871.jpg

I've never tried any Australian/NZ Pitts here.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 1 year later...

Hi

Im an Aussie living in Queensland, and Ive been reading about the Pittosporum Resiniferum (Petroleum Nut Tree) and its apparently the highest Octane grade (54) of any plant Biofuel thus far (Octane level for vehicular gas is 91) and am really interested in trying to grow it here. Apparently it likes to be in or around Pine trees (go figure).

Cant find any place in Australia that stocks it so Im currently looking into the process of importing either the seeds or plants into Australia. Australia has one of the toughest quarrantine requirements in the world so theres a bit of paperwork and research involved.

Eric in Orlando, what sort of climate is it there in Orlando, I suspect possibly semi tropical? Im in a subtropical area here in Queensland Australia but am wondering what are the temperature ranges there in summer and winter, have you frosts, dry or wet seasons, or is it classically the 4 seasons there?

Im interested in the soil type as well pH, acid or base or neutral?

If you have time and dont mind passing on the information it would be really helpul as would the name / website / contact details of a supplier or Nursery who stocks these.

I recently bought a small valley (the cattlemen here didnt value the slopes, semi rainforest and steep gully so I got the acreage cheap) its proving to be a little paradise and thus far have discovered some wild native Guavas, small but really tasty fruit,really ancient mango trees, a few Crows Ash (have incredible prickly star shaped seed pods bigger than a hand when open)lots of other trees Im yet to identify and enough cleared land for a house and the 50 or so fruit and nut trees Ive got to plant there once the irrigation system is in palce and up and running. So Ive got time to look round for the Pittosporum Resiniferum if anyone can give me a pointer in the right direction

Cheers

Dyffryn

The climate here is subtropical hot, rainy and humid in summer and drier in winter. Normal winters we can get 2-3 nights below freezing but usually not below 27-29F. Our soil is very sandy and well drained an on the acidic side.

Ours was donated by a local grower who collects oddball plants. I don't know of anywhere selling seed/specimens of this plant.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 1 month later...

Hi Eric, This is Phoebe from Tampa, Florida. I am interested in seeds of the P. resiniferum as they are endemic to my country (Philippines) but I'm having a hard time getting seeds from there. Can you suggest a source where I can buy them? I appreciate any kind of information you can pass on to me. :yay:

Ours was donated by a local grower who collects oddball plants. I don't know of anywhere selling seed/specimens of this plant.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a