IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bulletproof Dypsis for Southern California?

Ice Blue

Gabriel:

Your observations are in keeping with mine.

Pembana and lanceolata like a bit of shade, especially the pembies, here in La Habra, which is more coastal, but not by the beach.

Hovitra takes the sun here, as does saintluciei. I'd be curious to see how they do for you.

I think albofarinosa is best with a bit of shade. Leptocheilos is great in teh sun here, as is arenarum.

Might be worth a shot for you, too.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

I have never tried hovitra, first time hearing of it actually. I have failed three times with saintluciei. One was never happy and died, the other two seemed unhappy as well, they were in pots, and I moved them to a more favorable areas. They immediately responded and started growing fast and looking good. Then, they suddenly died after last winter. Maybe I'll give  it another try.

I have a couple of small arenarums, and glad to hear that they can take the sun. 

How has your experience been with Dypsis hybrids?

I've had one "tri bear" that seems okay, thought it's in a grove with a Roystonea and other plants, not in full sun. But it's growing well. Other smaller ones are just getting started, I have them in the semi-shade.

Other than that, no experience with Dypsis hybrids.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 months later...

I bought a 1 gal tri bear that has been in the ground a year and a half and it is starting to become one of the fastest growing palms in my garden.  Full sun 1 mile from coast in Carlsbad.  My other one gets more shade and it is way slower.   Neither one show any damage coming out of the winter. Pembana always has some spotting coming out of winter but gets close to full sun and is pretty fast too.  Bought as a triple 5 gal now has seven and biggest has three rings of trunk in 4 yrs.. Decaryi is a no brainer here and my leptochelios thrives as well.  Fronds seem to grow through winter but hold off opening til Spring so then bang bang bang.   Lutescens also a no brainer here.  Replanting a planter with albofarinosa st lucei plumosa lanceolata and heteromorpha.  From reading the other posts seem like they should all do well.  We will see.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I moved out of the house where I planted these but here were my results:

D. plumosa - too thin.  Blew over and split during a storm

D. ambositrae - did really well

D. baronii - also did very well

D. onilahensis - excellent grower

D. decipiens - killed 2.  probably due to my impatience.  Will try again

• Upvote 1