IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapis humilis

Darkman

I have a Rhapis humilis that survived the 2009/2010 winter that had lows of 19.3 on two occasions (if memory serves me right). This winter with lows of 24 I thought would be a snap however I did something stupid. I left a sprinkler on a created a Winter not Wonderland but a Hellish Artic Nightmare. My humilis (ten trunks about three foot tall) now has spear pull. Does anyone have any experience with cold damaged humilis?

Darkman in Pensacola - Looking for cold hardy palms and plants that make Pensacola look tropical

Life - Some assembly required, Side effects frequently experienced, Mileage may vary, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Opinions that analyst twist to support the insanity of those that pay them.

• 1 month later...

At least one of the trunks is pushing a new frond. It is the one that was the furtherest away from the sprinkler and was shielded some what by the other trunks.

Darkman in Pensacola - Looking for cold hardy palms and plants that make Pensacola look tropical

Life - Some assembly required, Side effects frequently experienced, Mileage may vary, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Opinions that analyst twist to support the insanity of those that pay them.

Rhapis take forever and a day to come back--my dad transplanted a large clump of excelsa and months, months, plus a few more months later and a little baby is sprouting at the base of the old stem... some didin't make it, looks like.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to give up and I'll continue to feed and water. Hopefully it will come back. It really sucks as it had just started to growing good from when I transplanted it several years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I noticed today that two small trunks are coming out of the ground about two foot away from the main clump and a small trunk is coming up in the main clump. Is it common for these to send out runners?

• 1 month later...

I now have three of the old trunks growing and the two new ones are looking great. I'm still curious about the new ones. I wonder if a root was damaged and that initiated the new growth or could it have been from the shock of the main clump experiencing the freeze damage?

I now have three of the old trunks growing and the two new ones are looking great. I'm still curious about the new ones. I wonder if a root was damaged and that initiated the new growth or could it have been from the shock of the main clump experiencing the freeze damage?

No root damage. Sending up runners is what rhapis do. Assuming that all of your humilis are males and that you have no other rhapis around, all of your new canes will be pups of the original plants you put in. They should come back relatively quickly from a freeze, even when frozen to the ground (although maybe not as fast as excelsa). If you're lucky, you'll have the clump from hell in a few years and be fighting back humilis canes as long as you own the house.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 2 weeks later...

No root damage. Sending up runners is what rhapis do. Assuming that all of your humilis are males and that you have no other rhapis around, all of your new canes will be pups of the original plants you put in. They should come back relatively quickly from a freeze, even when frozen to the ground (although maybe not as fast as excelsa). If you're lucky, you'll have the clump from hell in a few years and be fighting back humilis canes as long as you own the house.

Thanks Jason,

They are not exactly speedsters but I hope I do have a great clump one day. I'd like to be able to devide it and start new clumps in many locations.

• 11 months later...

Update

I now have three clumps, the original one and two runner clumps one of which may overtake the original in height.

• 3 years later...

Update:

Winter of 13/14 & 14/15 was real bad! All burnt to ground level.

Center (original) clump did not regrow but two outside clumps have and are now about two foot tall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...