IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala grandis/ elegans problem

Bradford

Hi everyone,

Some of my Licuala Grandis/Elegans are having shriveled brown leaves. It began with one leaf dehydrating turning brown-whitish discoloration.

Now more leaves are turning that way. They were excellent deep green when I brought home. I am not sure if it's due to the new location or over watering (twice daily since or using HB101 plant vitalizer spray on the leaves (contain: cedars, pines extracts - www.erip101.com)or too much sun or ???

What do you think is the cause?

post-5696-053073800 1302156192_thumb.jpg

post-5696-093872400 1302156211_thumb.jpg

I am not sure of the reason in your case but I have seen this happen to Licuala grandis when placed indoors in air conditioning. They do not respond well to low humidity. You water twice a day, so this may not be the problem.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Were the roots grow to the ground before you bought it? Did they have yank it out of the ground and cut the roots?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

sun

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I kept my 2 grandis inside this last winter and they came out, in spring, looking better than the other ones that stayed outside. Too much sun will cause brown spotting. Too much water will cause the plant to give up on leaves--is the drainage good? I think, probably, either the plant was just planted when you got it, or it was shocked by being pulled from it's place.

Thanks to all :)

The pictured palm is actually still in it's original black u/v plastic sleeve at the base. They were perfect when I got them a fortnight ago.

Could spraying cockroach pesticide nearby (about 3 ft away) have done it? No breeze was around when I sprayed.

I have 3 others, same species, placed into the ground a fortnight ago near my fence (out in the open sun) but they do not have the same symptom or dehydrated leaves except for some slightly brownish leaf edges and slight yellowing of some leaves.

All the Licuala Grandis/Elegans were sold with black u/v plastic covering at the base.

Edited by Bradford

I think it was growing in the ground and they cut the roots. Some don't mind, some will suffer. I killed one of my licuala... trying to plant it out from pot. The roots grew into the ground. Even though, we tried so hard to be careful, it still died. Is there spear there? If the spear opens, it should be ok.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Something similar happened with a Licuala orbicularis that I bought. It was balled out ( I didn't know anything about palms back then) and it was particularly disheartening since it was one of my first big palm purchases.

If they are still in their pots/bags I suggest you place them in deep shade (just ambient light ) for about a month or untill they show signs of new growth.

PS- I agree that some of the major roots may have been damaged or even cut. At least these are not as sensetive as the closely related Joey which would most certainly die if their roots are damaged.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I sprayed wasps under the leafs of a L. grandis a few years ago. They looked very similar to the pictures here a few weeks later.

David

This Licuala was in pristine condition (totally green when I got it) and now looks like this, photo taken hours ago.

It is still in it's original u/v plastic sleeve at the bottom.

All Licualas sold at the nursery are sold with u/v plastic covering on the base.

p/s

Today I went to the nursery and discovered one Licuala had similar problem like mine! They had about 15 Licuala Grandis/Elegans there. (14 of them looking very green and healthy)

When I pointed out the Licuala plant which had the same problem, the seller told me to simply cut the dehydrated looking leaf off.

He was unable to tell me what caused the problem! When I left, he actually snip the affected leaves off.

post-5696-003848100 1302344247_thumb.jpg