IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia marmorii (like) rare specie

Gaston in Argentina

I recently returned from the north of my country with a palm friend of the US, from a small place that i did knew since years ago where grew some very rare multiple stemmed Butias with subterranean trunks i had pictured many times and keep the location as secret.-

The palm was very rare, difficult to see and just a few people knew the place where they grew.-

. SAD, SAD! to see that from  just less of 30 palms that were growing in the small grasslands, just only one is surviving now (after a long search the only i saw), the rest were digged up.-  Some palms will be seen just by pics taken four and five years ago that are in PACSOA website.-

This is - was an different then any specie named under B. marmorii but this is now just a remember.- Hard to be withness how an palm specie was from rare status to completely extint.-

Fortunately some few seeds of this palm i was able to harvest some seeds years ago wich i sent to the US (Calif, Texas, Hawaii) and to the UK.-

Gaston in Argentina.-

Gaston,

Do you have photos?

Where did the seeds get sent to and what was the result?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

this is very sad.reminds me of the story on msnbc today

about the endangered nepalese rhinos that just went missing.i think we're going to be seeing more & more of this :(

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Gaston,Who dig up this palms? What was the purpose?Transplant or destroy? Probably you also have seedlings..........?

BTW How are ´´mine´´ B. microspadix?????

Um abraço.Alberto

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Very sad.  I hope it can at least survive in cultivation.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Gaston,

Did you get any nice photos of Trithrinax on your trip north?  Love to see them.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Yes, really sad to search in the same place where theres now holes, grasses but not palms.-

I think were digged up for sale and think i know who was, and but i unknow certainly how he did know about the place,  also there was some lower quantities of Allagopteras.-

I get just two seedlings of this clustered Butia sp.- There was not fruits this time in the single surviving palm.-

. - Gaston

• 1 month later...

Hi, Gaston;

A VERY sad, disheartening story.  In this sort of situation, it is difficult to avoid the kind of catastrophe that occurred here.  My philosophy is  to keep the location confidential, but gather seed, and a very, very small number of plants, and get some dedicated plantsmen reproducing the plant before the original population disappears.  Obviously, this won't always work; we have some endangered sand hill spp. in Florida which won't survive in microclimates less stringent than their native range.  Sabal etonia isn't one of them; it's doing fine!   Best Wishes,  merrill

• Upvote 1

merrill, North Central Florida

I would hate to think that it was Dr Noblicks published palm article recently in the IPS journal that led to their demise.

There was also an online article in Brazil.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

(Gaston in Argentina @ Jan. 07 2007,23:41)

I get just two seedlings of this clustered Butia sp.-

Gaston, is this the same seed you sent me ?

You sent me Butia campicola and I have 1 seedling, and also the clustering Butia of which I have one, but this is a big seedling.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Hi Nigel.

I sentyou seeds of this Butias but also from another ones.-

Here´s a pic of the only one survivor of the Butia marmorii like palm i found after an entire afternoon long search in the sitemarmoriial0.jpg.-  Gaston,

I found at ................................................................................

......  http://www.cemunnos.nl/assortiment/palmen/butia/butia.html

...... Butia campicola offered. how rare or common are this? are this field dug or cultivated specimens????

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Alberto.

Butia campicola is an extremely rare palmeira, none into cultivation.- They grow near as wild near your place, border with Py.-

Gaston

If it is not cultivated..... how this rare palms are now been offered in Holland? Pretty large specimens....

Gaston,I ´m afraid ´´your´´B.marmoriis,also went the same way to one or another nursery in or outside South America. :(

(Alberto @ Mar. 06 2007,06:41)

If it is not cultivated..... how this rare palms are now been offered in Holland? Pretty large specimens....

Gaston,I ´m afraid ´´your´´B.marmoriis,also went the same way to one or another nursery in or outside South America. :(

I know Dennis at Cemmunos , he is a good person not capable of things like that.

I ask him about it and report back.....

Resident in Bristol UK.

Hey Nigel

When do you have these on sale?

Regardez

Juan

PS only kidding!

Will ring you latter on another palm matter.

Juan

(Bilbo @ Mar. 06 2007,08:11)

Hey Nigel

When do you have these on sale?

Juan,

When my lonesome seedling from Gaston bears babies !

I got a reply from Dennis at cemunnos....

Hi Nigel!

Yes please, i understand that people don't understand dutch, but we are

not offering them, we give information about the species!

Palms we offer can be found at our forum and offer site, but in Dutch!

Thank you very much, i hope you are allright by the way :-) ,

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Cemunnos, Uw partner in vorstbestendig exotisch tuinieren

Dennis Oosterhof

[a]: Bultsweg 38

[p]: 7532 XH - Enschede

[t]: +31 (0) 53 4611424

[m]: +31 (0) 6 53326469

[e]: info@cemunnos.nl

Resident in Bristol UK.

Maybe this well intended article sealed their fate ?

Online article

Resident in Bristol UK.

The pic of Butia campicola in the Cemunos website is mine, from i plant i bring (was in a road border next to death) for show how the clustered palms develope from the mother trunk in the subterranean sand.- Bring two for try to rescue it but none survived.- Note the narrow leaflets and soft leaves.-

After the Noblick article, i undestand they arent true B. campicola if not the new described B.marmorii.-

Alberto, i have nothing to do with that palms, but i have my feelling they are growing in a nursery of here or in Spain or Italy, not in the northern Europe.-

Gaston