Curling/spiraling leaf?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mandrew968

Mandrew968

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:45 AM

Just got a joey altifrons seedling with a leaf curl on the only leaf. I had this once with a bizzy seedling, and found out that it was the root, cirling the bucket, looking for more room. Is this probably the same situation, and I'll have to unearth it and untwist the root, or is this something else entirely? I have no experience with Joeys... Thanks guys and gals!

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 palmislandRandy

palmislandRandy

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:11 AM

I've seen rootbound palms put out some twisty fronds. That could be your issue.

Randy
"If you need me, I'll be outside"                  -Randy Wiesner                       Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish    

#3 Mandrew968

Mandrew968

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:27 AM

This is a seedling with just one curled leaf--not possible that it's rootbound, yet.

#4 PiousPalms

PiousPalms

Moe'uhane Oihana mahi ai

• IPS MEMBER
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

I have found that this occurs and it is not a problem. It will out grow this spiraling in the next leaf or tow with no side-effects. It doesn't slow growth speed. Just leave it be and it will be fine.

I personally have my own theory on why this happens: I think it is the plant's mechanism to twist and turn to find it's way from beneath obstructions. Remote germinators tend to exhibit this behavior much more often. Perhaps it thought it had a branch or something it was going to have to get around and the spiraling is it's automatic response to grow in the path of least resistance.

I've germinated tens of thousands of palm seeds and observed this behavior a few times... Don't worry!

William DeBoe

Aloha mai no, aloha aku; o ka huhu ka mea e ola 'ole ai.

When love is given, love should be returned; anger is the thing that gives no life.

#5 Mandrew968

Mandrew968

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

Thanks a million, William! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users