IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

some old palms at the FIT campus in Melbourne,FL

Eric in Orlando

Saturaday I went over to Melbourne to the FL Institue of Technology. There was a spring plant sale being held so went to that and walked around the campus. The campus has a 15 acre botanic garden. This area is in amoist hammock area where Crane Creek runs through and is referred to as "the jungle'. The college was started in the ealry 1960s. It has no botanical program but the founder, Dr. Keuper, wanted to landscape it nicely and plant lots of palms. he enlisted the help of Dent Smith who lived in Daytona Beach. Dent is one of the founders of the Intl. Palm Society. He helped plant the campus and by the late 60's/early 70s it had several hundred species, one of the largest palm collections in FL. By the 1980s the collection was being neglected and many of the tender species were wiped out in the freezes of the 80's.. Survivors remain and in the last few years the botanic garden has been cleaned up and is being restored.

here are some of the old survivors planted prior to the 12/1989 freeze

Arenga engleri in full sun

img_5003.jpg

Attalea cohune

img_5025.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis- this one is probably the oldest specimen in central FL, planted back in the 1960's. It has been neglected for years so is not as big as it would be with care. It is also one of the tender silver forms. About halfway down the trunk you can see damage, probably from the freezes of the 1980's

img_4995.jpg

Elaeis guineensis- African Oil Palms, they look rough after the past 2 winters. These survived the 80's freezes and seed heavily. The adjacent swamp area have hundreds of seedlings naturalizing

img_5034.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Hyphaene thebaica- 3 of the 4 trunks are branching

img_4985.jpg

2 old Livistona decora (decipiens) Ribbon Palms

img_4984.jpg

img_5013.jpg

old Livistona mariae

img_4983.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

I'm curious about your remark regarding the Bizzie. I thought the more glaucous ones were more cold hardy. The tender ones are the greens that I see between Miami and Homestead.

Alex

Los Niños y Los Borrachos siempre dicen la verdad.

large Phoenix canariensis

img_4992.jpg

old Roystonea elata-Florida Royal Palm

img_5028.jpg

Sabal bermudana

img_4988.jpg

Sabal mauritiiformis

img_4987.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Nice.

Edited by Palmə häl′ik

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

and some recent plantings

Astrocaryum mexicanum

img_5016.jpg

Attalea butryacea

img_5027-1.jpg

Borassus flabellifer-recently planted

img_5000.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Sabal causiarum

img_5038.jpg

Wodyetia bifurcata- Foxtail Palm

img_5002.jpg

Dypsis leptocheilos

img_5036.jpg

Livistona saribus

img_5012.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

a few other non-palms

Cycas rumphii- Queen Sago Cycad, an old specimen

img_5035.jpg

Lepidozamia peroffskyana

img_5021.jpg

Pandanus utilis

img_5010.jpg

Araucaria bidwillii- Bunya Bunya

img_4997.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

I'm curious about your remark regarding the Bizzie. I thought the more glaucous ones were more cold hardy. The tender ones are the greens that I see between Miami and Homestead.

Alex

There are some tender forms of blue Bismarckia that burn in the upper 20sF

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I missed you, and also failed to tour the palms. It was a nice sale. I went home with a small Kentiopsis oliviforme. Maybe I should have been looking for Dypsis leptocheilos. That's a nice specimen.

Non-palm, the Native Plant Society had some very nice Yucca filamentosa, a nice plant that isn't cultivated nearly enough.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Great photos Eric, you must do a lot of walking, that's a lot of trees, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

A. cohune looks different to mine.... Hhhhmmmmm.... :unsure:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Eric,

Alex

"burn in the upper 20sF" Dang! How cold tolerant are the blue not tender palms?! If they get hardier than what you are saying, then they should be seen all around Panama City beach, Fl.

I missed you, and also failed to tour the palms. It was a nice sale. I went home with a small Kentiopsis oliviforme. Maybe I should have been looking for Dypsis leptocheilos. That's a nice specimen.

Non-palm, the Native Plant Society had some very nice Yucca filamentosa, a nice plant that isn't cultivated nearly enough.

I was there around 10:30. Thats a good sale over there. 3 different palm vendors with a good selection of hardy and tender.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Great photos Eric, you must do a lot of walking, that's a lot of trees, Ed

Thanks ! I love walking gardens !!! or trails

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A. cohune looks different to mine.... Hhhhmmmmm.... :unsure:

I'm just speculating, I don't think it has been positively ID'ed. I was also thinking it may be A. rostrata.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Nice photos Eric, - very informative

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Eric,

Alex

"burn in the upper 20sF" Dang! How cold tolerant are the blue not tender palms?! If they get hardier than what you are saying, then they should be seen all around Panama City beach, Fl.

In the early/mid 1990's when Bismarckia first started trickling into central FL I remember hearing reports that some people were having their palms (blue forms) burn at 28-29F, almost as tender as the green forms. But as they got more popular I didn't hear this anymore. I don't know if a different strain/source of seed started being grown but now most of the blue ones tolerate lower than 28-29F without damage.

The big one here at Leu Gardens was planted in spring 1990. I have been here since 1992 and it has never been damaged. Not the last 2 years and not Feb. 1996 when it dropped to 26F. Thats the coldest temperature since I have been here. The one in the previous photos in Melbourne has survived long durations of low to mid 20s in the 3 big freezes in the 1980's including 2 back to back (12/83 and 1/85 then 12/89). Maybe some are growing in PCB.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Nice photos Eric, - very informative

Thanks !

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I can confirm that there are genetic weaklings among silver Bismarckia out there. I acquired mine around 1997, and it fries to a crisp at 28-29 F. The last two winters have completely defoliated it, though it comes back each time (a bit slower to do so this year, I'm guessing from repeated defoliations).

-Michael

A nice collection - Kudos to Dent and his contribution !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of Bismarckia, a tall one at Heathcote Botanical Gardens in Ft Pierce is looking unhappy, though it looks as though it'll be putting out normal new leaves. This, in a garden where Satakentia under canopy was undamaged, spindle undamaged, etc.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

That garden looks great! I didn't even know FIT had a garden. Next trip south, I will have to stop. Thanks for the introduction.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88