IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

More Red Fruit

iwan

Noticed these vibrant red infructescences on a group of Phoenix dactlifera (?) at a local shopping center on New Years Eve.  Is this a particular cultivar, or hybrid seed?  I have never noticed red fruit on these before, but their gardeners tend to be pruning happy so ripe fruit is rare.  There are other datclifera around around with standard orange fruits.  The only other Phoenix sp nearby are canariensis.  

Waiting for a big storm to start bringing these infructescences down.

photo143.jpg

photo144.jpg

photo142.jpg

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Dear Robert  :)

those were fentastic stills of date palms,which is

common to N.Africa,middle-east region.

at present i have 3 varities of different phoenix

grounded in my house garden_

they are_

1.local phoenix(common indian variety).

2.californian date palm(seeds got from pitted dates

sold in containers).

3.the variety seen in your stills(derived from edible

dates from Oman).

Here are those stills for you_

post-108-1167807913_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

this phoenix raised from dates that came from

Oman & all the 3 species & its frond size & trunk

stoutness is very different_

post-108-1167808190_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Robert,

Those date clusters are beautiful.  They certainly add to the beauty of the trees.  I presume they must be in N. Calif?

Something important to remember about P. dactilifera:  They are a suckering palm and the suckers should be removed when they are young, otherwise it's almost an impossible task to remove them when they get older.  I made the mistake of leaving the suckers on to long and it became an impentrable mess.  I finally had to remove the entire palm.  It was just to much to fight with.

Also, the leaf blades are rigid and stiff and have sharp tips so they should be planted well away from foot traffic.  Mine was to close to a path and I was afraid someone would put an eye out.  When younger and the fronds are at eye level, Phoenix can take up a lot of garden space.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Robert,

Looking at your P. dactilifera pics again:  The trees are so loaded with fruit, one would think they had been hand pollinated, but I doubt that's the case.  If the only other male plant around is a P. canariensis, then the seedlings will be hybrids for sure.

I forgot to mention if you have a female Phoenix and a male nearby, the seedlings have a tendency to come up everywhere in your garden and they can become real pests in a short time.  Much past the seedling stage and it takes a shovel to remove them.  The same goes for Washingtonias too.

Once established, and given ample water, P. canariensis and Washingtonias can grow at an astonishing rate.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Very nice photos.  I had not tried eating Medjool dates until this past holiday season.  I can't believe what I'd been missing all these years.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I forgot to mention these are in Fresno, CA.  These would have to be naturally polinated as I can't imagine someone would go to the expense or spend the time to hand pollinate those.  Their landscape maintenance company tends to prune yearly so there are not many trees with fruit.  The next closest Phoenix sp are more dactlifera that are ~500' away, but there are are maybe 100 trees in the 500+ acres that make up two shopping centers.

Thanks for the warnings Dick.  I have two acres here, so big species are not an issue.  I have noticed almost no naturalization of Phoenix sp here.  I think our rainfall is way too low.  I don't even see seedlings around the usually well watered commercial plantings.  I suspect there may be some self-seeding in dense private gardens though.  Same holds for Trachycarpus and Syagrus.  Washingtonia, on the other hand germinates freely.

Robert

9A

Ciao  Iwan!!

Seems  to  be  Phoenix  Dactylifera  "Zahidi""

One  male  can  pollinate  more  than  50  female,  and  probably if  you  look  again  you  will  find  male  palm

If  you  collect   seeds , please , let  me  know  if  you  want  swap  some

Ciao  M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

(M@ximus @ Jan. 09 2007,22:19)

Ciao  Iwan!!

Seems  to  be  Phoenix  Dactylifera  "Zahidi""

One  male  can  pollinate  more  than  50  female,  and  probably if  you  look  again  you  will  find  male  palm

If  you  collect   seeds , please , let  me  know  if  you  want  swap  some

Ciao  M@x

Thanks for the ID M@X.  We had a decent wind storm last week and was hoping some of the infructescences would have broken off, but if they did the landscapers had cleaned them out already.  That area is very busy with vehicles and I am hoping to pick up a few infructescences instead of trying to pick up a bunch of loose mushy fruits.

PM me in a few weeks to see if anything has fallen yet.  I only get into town once a week or two.

Robert

9A

I would like to see if the seeds are viable. Every time I try to pick up seed from the Dactylifera's in the shopping center parking lots the seeds are deformed and very small. I wonder if the red ones will work. I was told it has to get real hot for the seeds to develope correctly. Has anyone ever herd this.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Ciao  Ed!!

I  find  very  easy  to  germinate Phoenix  dacty

I normally  buy  dates  on  supermarket,  but  the  only  ""cultivar"" available  are  Deglet noor  or  Medjool

and  i  love  the  red  dates of  "Zahidi""

I  use  the  tipical  germintion  metod

I  keep    the  seeds on  a   glass  with  warm  water  for  a week  , and after  put  them  in  a  polistirene   container   with  lid ,  filled  with  perlite  or  similar  

I  keep  the container  in my  second  flor( is  the  more  heat  part  of my  house)  and  the  temperature   have  an  average  between  22/25 c

Naturally  is  summer  season  I  keep  the  container  out   of  my  house

I  never  used  greenhouse or  heated  box  and  the  germination  rate  is very  high(70%)  

Ciao  M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

(The Germinator @ Jan. 10 2007,03:10)

I would like to see if the seeds are viable. Every time I try to pick up seed from the Dactylifera's in the shopping center parking lots the seeds are deformed and very small. I wonder if the red ones will work. I was told it has to get real hot for the seeds to develope correctly. Has anyone ever herd this.

Yes sir you are correct! For a date to fully develop it's seed it needs deset temps. There is a very nice grouping of some very beautiful dac's down the street from my house. They are all flowering right now but I know the seed will not fully develop.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

We get tons of heat here in the central valley and this year had very desert like temps.  If anything, the growing season was too short with the almost constant rain and cool temps until late April.

Robert

9A