IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bluebell Nursery

Just1MorePalm

I've been buying palms from Bluebell Nursery for a while now and I thought this is a good time to let out my secret...Some of the SoCal members know about Bluebell but many don't...Its been around for many years but is not mentioned much...Sorta like a secret spot...The selection of rare palms is limited, but what they do offer is large and cheap...

Bluebell Nursery Is owned and operated by long time members of the PSSC and have very well grown palms...If you are in the market for a Rhopalostylis baueri, Rhopalostylis sapida or Dypsis baronii you must visit them to compare size and price...I'm confident you will get a larger plant for less money from Bluebell...They also have other palms for sale as well...those are just three of the the palms that I know you will not pass up if you are shopping...

Nurserymen purchase plants from Bluebell and resell at 3x the price...So do others on this forum, Do yourself a favor and visit them and spread the word...Sorry current Bluebell customers if I'm letting out your secret...

I am not affiliated with Bluebell Nursery in any way...Happy Growing!

• 6 months later...

Ditto the previous comments. Bluebell Nursery is a home-based business operated by Jack and Arline Passerello. They have what seems to be 2 acres of palms on a 1/2 acre lot! They prefer to sell only larger pot sizes, 15 gallon and 20 gallon. The location is 5 minutes off the I-5 freeway at Magnolia exit in Anaheim.

Telephone first for an appointment. 714-828-1024

2474 West Orange Avenue

Anaheim, CA 92804

arlinenjack@aol.com

San Francisco, California

• 1 year later...

Bluebell Nursery specializes in large grown specimens of palms that they grow themselves from seed. Everything matures outdoors, some under shade cloth, some out in the open. I picked up the most beautiful 20 gallon chambeyronia macrocarpa I've ever seen, a large 20 gallon multi-trunked dypsis baronii and two large dypsis decipiens for very reasonable prices.

This is definitely one of the best kept secret nursery, if I hadn't seen it listed here, i would have just been tempted to quietly not tell anyone, but that is selfish, so here it is. Arline is really easy going and very enthusiastic about what she does. This appears to be their home, you can see how they dedicated their life is to their passion. it's not a small yard either, they have a whole acre in the middle of Anaheim. if you are looking for large grown specimens of various palms, this is a must stop.

They have all the required licenses and have the red ant tag for the agricultural inspections. Their plants passed with flying colors, no bugs, nothing on them, healthy as a horse.

Here is a picture of the dypsis baronii I got, what a great head start! Can't beat the price too, it's a lot less than you think!

20130318_174015_zpsa5d04c6f.jpg

And here is a shot of their nursery:

20130317_115921_zps8ed933a6.jpg

• 2 months later...

ah, I stopped by a few weeks to a month ago and Arline was as helpful as can be, was nice to walk around and see some of the palms you don't see a lot of in most of the nurseries in the area. i'll definitely be going back sometime soon to pickup a few things since it's always nice to get a bit of instant gratification, especially in a completely bare yard

• 1 year later...

I dropped by as well and I concur

with the previous posts.

Very nice couple Jack and Arline.

Great suppliers if you need large size palms in 15 gallons or larger.

Great varieties of Dypsis albafarinosa, baronii, decaryi, rivularis and decipiens.

R. sapida, R. regia, Sabal mauritiformis, Jubea chilensis, silver queens and king as well.

Highly recommended esp if youre in SoCal.

Give them a call & drop-by.

:36_14_15[1]:

• 1 month later...

I've bought from a lot of sellers around. I am confidant in saying that, if Arline and Jack have the species you want, you will find NO BETTER VALUE in Southern California. Every single plant is gorgeous and huge. They specialize in 20 gal. tubs and you will easily pay less than a third of many growers around for that size.

Sure, there isn't the selection of several growers that you see around, but if they have what you want, you'll be buying from them. In fact, it was hard to decide and even say "no," but I only have so much room.

If you're in Southern California, do yourself a favor and give Jack and Arline a call. You won't be sorry and you'll discover one of the most fabulous growers around.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...