IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Society of Southern California

DoomsDave

It's that time again!

Our March, 2011 meeting, on March 23, 2011. Be there, or be square . . . .

This is a 21-year-old garden, entering its prime. Gregg Hamann, our host, started back in 1990 with a few Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, but he didn't stop there.

The Hamann garden now has 401 different species of palms (species, not plants), including many Madagascan and New Caledonian species.

Unlike many other gardens, the Hamann garden is unique for its use of relatively rare species for its canopy.

There are literally scores of outstanding specimen palms in this garden. Mr. Hamann's favorites include: Syagrus glaucescens, Dypsis tsaratenensis, Dypsis plumosa, Cyphophoenix nucele, Dypsis cereceus and Chambeyronea. Many palms have trunk way overhead.

This garden is full of other unique features. The Hamann's driveway is imprinted with leaves of more than 60 species of palms. There is a uniquely "palmy" entrance way, and tropical pool area. Finally, the Hamanns use a unique way of labeling their plants.

Food (glorious food!) will be a buffet-style potluck lunch. Bring your favorite salad, side dish, main dish, appetizer, dessert, or all of these. (Not sure what's appropriate? If you like it, bring it, others will like it too!)

There will also be an auction and raffle following the luncheon.

Chairs for sitting will be provided.

Please wear comfortable walking shoes, as this garden is on a hillside.

ITINERARY

- PSSC Board meeting, 9:30 a.m.

- General Meeting, 11:00 a.m.

- Lunch begins, 1:00 p.m.

- Announcements, 2:00 p.m.

- Plant Auction and Raffle, 2:15 p.m.

- Adjournment, 3:30 p.m.

For the plant auction, please bring no more than six (6) plants, rare species preferred, maximum size 5-gallon pot.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

march 23 is a wednesday.

i think you meant to say march 26,which is a saturday :blink:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Just testing . . . .

Will you be coming?

This sounds like a hell of a garden, oops! Used a bad word . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm very excited about this meeting! Almost 4 years ago I was at a friends wedding at this property. This was before I was into palms, and seeing a large Caryota gigas in this yard is what got me hooked to palms. So yeah, to be able to have the chance to go back there when I can actually identify more and enjoy the variety will be amazing! We're very fortunate here in southern california to have such nice gardens to tour.

• Upvote 1

Who else is coming?

March 26, 2011

Where is it?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Where is it?

El Cajon on a hill towards Spring Valley.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

If my son's t-ball game is early enough (cross our fingers) I'll be there.

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Looks like I might just make it after all. Fashionably late of course, but there nonetheless! I think the entire Hofmann-fam will be in attendance! Is this meeting kid friendly?

FINS TO WARM WEATHER!

-eric

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

How kid- friendly I would suppose depends on the kid....... :huh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

its pugsly from the addams family. :lol:

still "warning-free."

How kid- friendly I would suppose depends on the kid....... :huh:

Bill,

I suppose if they're willing to grant admission to the likes of you, my son shan't have anything to worry about.

So, who else is coming?

me.

oh,wait,i already said that.

but i'm still coming.

still "warning-free."

This is supposed to be one of the best private gardens around. There should be a lot of people.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Dave, when was the last time the PSSC visited this garden? I remember attending as a guest.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Last time I was there for a meeting, I remember I was intrigued by his concept of using RO water. I think he used it extensively. Some of the nursery owners were very interested, and we discussed the pros and cons. Some even invested in RO systems because of the difference it appeared to make.

Would someone please ask if he is still doing this, and if so, do the symptoms of hard water like brown tipping seem to be any less in this garden.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dave, when was the last time the PSSC visited this garden? I remember attending as a guest.

Not since i've been a member.. which is about 5-6 years now..

Of course I've done a drive by a couple times... But I hope others can figure out where it is... Look at the PSSC website?

Not since i've been a member.. which is about 5-6 years now..

Of course I've done a drive by a couple times... But I hope others can figure out where it is... Look at the PSSC website?

I was just about to say something about that. Is there an address?? Not finding much on google maps.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

The meeting address is: (in my best Garrett Morris voice):

11123 Valley Lights Drive

El Cajon, CA 92020

Will the tour happen rain or shine?

• Upvote 1

yes

• Upvote 1

Group,

This should be an excellent meeting. I've known Gregg since he began his garden. It is a very large and enjoyable garden. He started almost everything from small plants. Over time, many have gotten quite large. He has some very unusual species with a good representation of Madagascar species. Even if it's raining, the metting will take place. Just bring an umbrella or raincoat.

There will be an auction/raffle. For those bringing plants, the limit on number of plants accepted from any one person is eight! Don't bring a pickup full of plants for auction! The preferred size is 1g, 2g or maximum 5g plants. Moving bigger plants around creates problems for people. Please follow these rules. You can bring as many donated raffle plants as you wish.

We will not be touring his commercial property. We could not figure out how to do both locations at once as Gregg can only be at one location at the same time.

See you Saturday.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

the PRA team is meeting at my place at 9am for coffee then car-pooling to the hamann garden.all are welcome to join us.the address is 4157 rolando blvd.

still "warning-free."

Shall we supply our own Dog Nuts?.. :D

no cruelty to animals,please.

coffee & refreshments will be provided.

still "warning-free."

That's very nice of you Paul, to invite people over to your garden for a pre-tour coffee walk. Paul's garden is beautiful and I highly recommend people coming over and joining us for a meet & greet and garden walk before we head over to Greg's place. Thanks Paul, sounds fun. Should we RSVP to you so you know how much coffee to brew?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

i didnt say you could come. :mellow:

still "warning-free."

By all accounts, this meeting should rock.

Be there or be square . . . .

I will be bringing a three leaf Trachycarpus princepts seedling for the auction!

It's the variety that is blue on the bottom and top of the leaf! 1 year old.

Pics are of the same seed batch. I have had three seedling batches come out of the same seed.

All about a year apart. The pics are the first batch.

Click on pics to enlarge!

post-1270-056001700 1301073338_thumb.jpg

post-1270-091562000 1301073334_thumb.jpg

post-1270-063414800 1301073341_thumb.jpg

See you there!

Randy

test

Pauul can Randy bring his trachycarpusses?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"