IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spotted Dracena flowering

Gbarce

I was surprised to find this spotted Dracaena pushing up a flower spike.

The leaves are pretty big but the trunk is only about 2 feet tall so I thought that this was still" young"

post-1017-004783700 1298161997_thumb.jpg

post-1017-093101800 1298162005_thumb.jpg

What now?

Will this mother plant die and new shoots will come out of the ground or will this branch off now?

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Gene--

I think that this is a colorform of Dracaena goldieana. Regardless of its name, it should continue to grow from the same terminal. Main stems of Dracaena don't die (typically) like Agave, Furcraea. Whether it branches from here or sends up additional shoots will remain to be seen.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Looks a bit like Dracaena cantleyi to me, as mentioned earlier this will not be the end of the plant as it will continue to grow from the terminal.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

More photos.

I have been hoping to propagate this but I have been too chicken to top cut it. Suckers would be a very welcome development.

post-1017-055977100 1298197640_thumb.jpg

After a quick google search it does look like Dracaena cantleyi

Thanks for the ID

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

should be pretty easy to pollinate gene ..

the few people I know who have large plants of these often have seedlings for sale .. like Curt Butterfield ..

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

THis large leaf variety is still pretty rare over here and still a bit expensive.

The small leaf spotted Dracaenas are more readily available and are pretty cheap now.

This grows in Asia so hopefully there are natural pollinators around. But I will investigate the blooms just the same and see If I can spread the pollen around

Gene

Manila, Philippines

I had an old common dracena. Flowered a couple times in 5 years. You are lucky if you like the smell of vanilla. My house had a really intense smell for almost 2 weeks (flowered indoors). Was hungry for ice cream for a while.

Edited by Mark lasvegas

looks like the flowers are openning in succession

small and tubular not very showy but i suspect gives off a strong scent at night

post-1017-059283200 1298682022_thumb.jpg

there wasn't any smell this morning

Gene

Manila, Philippines

But something tells me that they might not be ...

... upon closer investigation the ants don't seem to be going onto the flower itself.

post-1017-043407000 1298691753_thumb.jpg

they are all convening at the base of the flowers outside. They probably figured that its easier to get to the flowers' nectar from the outside. If they just puncture the petals then it should ooze right on out.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene how much light do you have yours growing in ?

It looks a little different to this one at Whyanbeel .

It was sheltered but got some full sun .

Seems to have larger markings than yours :unsure:

post-354-061856600 1298698793_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Overhead there are 2 nets both 65% I think. This is in a courtyard so the plants only get about 2 hours of direct light passing through the nets. the rest of teh day they basically just have ambient and reflected light.

I think that the one in your picture is a different variety. ine does not have that prominent a mid rib on the leaf - come to think of it I don't recall it having a mid rib at all. When I got this plant it was aith other varieties of Dracaenas and some of them had that type of spots but most of them were small leafed. I got this one because of the leaf size and I liked the sort of blue spots on it.

The vendor said that they were all brothers and sisters coming from the same cross but I think that was just sales talk. I have seen similar plants in internet photos.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

• 5 months later...