IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms I would never plant!

Mandrew968

I would never plant a coconut palm. Too plain and normal for me in these parts

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

No more of these for me. Twice the space and it seems like they use double the fertilizer.

Bill

5459872178_5313eab45c.jpg

100_0486 by schmidt_we, on Flickr

That's an awesome looking palm!

Thanks Palmlover and WestCoastGal. I must confess that this was posted as a joke

and that I would happily grow this/these guys. I was surprised that not too many folks

noticed this one, maybe it's a more common site than I am used to. It almost made be

wreck my car when driving past!

Bill (proud grower of queens, arecas, manilas, washies, coconuts, foxtails, royals, triangles, kings, capenterias, and lipsticks)

PS - (oh yeah, spindles too)

There is a Walgreens by my house that almost every ptychosperma elegans is a double or triple head(maybe two or three have four heads).

Hmm, that's interesting Mandrew968. Of the hundred or so (P. elegans) I've seen here in Puerto Rico, including 10-20 in the vicinity of the specimen

in my photo, this is the only one that exhibits dichotomy. That goes as well for the 1000's of palms of all genera I've seen here. Perhaps

the Solitaires you reference were to induced branch by artificial means? Please post some photos of the Walgreens, sounds like a cool place.

Bill

PSS - I forgot I proudly grow Licualas as well

• 1 month later...

These are those double and triple ptychos I was promising(been a long time coming).

post-5491-081952300 1304339869_thumb.jpg

post-5491-027512800 1304339878_thumb.jpg

post-5491-045829100 1304339889_thumb.jpg

post-5491-002500000 1304339899_thumb.jpg

post-5491-070193900 1304339909_thumb.jpg

I love coconuts and have 5 or 6 planted. To me, they are so tropical. One looks like hell after this winter but it is recovering. I have a queen X that was here when we bought the place. It is behind the barn and gets lots of water and manure run-off and is beautiful. I have another one that is a volunteer and it is doing well. I don't have any D. lutescens but if they are well cared for and trimmed, they are a nice palm as well. I don't like spiny palms because they are a menace to me and my husband. I do have a P. sylvestris that is finally getting tall enough so it doesn't attack us. I have a grove of S. schyzophylla (sp.) that came through the winter and are doing very well - even blooming. I have a grove of D. pembanas that also did well and are beuatiful - one of the few dypsis species I've been able to grow.

As I said in the early part of this topic, I plant what does well and what looks good after the winter. And I plant almost anything that people give me. Free is good.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Ay Andrew,heres a couple of snaps of black palms (normanbya normanbyii)not the best photos though.Ive found they grow well here in southern queensland in white sand they do not recieve any irrigation only rain.In habitat they are stunning very tall and slender and often adorned with orchids and other epiphites.Craig. :drool:

post-3749-048632500 1304428242_thumb.jpgpost-3749-024973100 1304428282_thumb.jpg

Much nicer than a foxtail--my dad's foxtail is bulging like crazy(I think it wants to be a royal)I hear that the black palm stays uniform in their trunk, but they are a tough grow(in South Florida), from what Ive been told. Foxtails in South Florida seem to have iron problems--is there a lot of Iron in the soil where they naturally occur? Most turn yellow here, if you are not on top of your fertilizing.

Edited by Mandrew968

Much nicer than a foxtail--my dad's foxtail is bulging like crazy(I think it wants to be a royal)I hear that the black palm stays uniform in their trunk, but they are a tough grow(in South Florida), from what Ive been told. Foxtails in South Florida seem to have iron problems--is there a lot of Iron in the soil where they naturally occur? Most turn yellow here, if you are not on top of your fertilizing.

Iron will be a problem in alkaline soils for many palms that are iron dependent. Some of these are foxtails, phoenix rupicolas, beccariophoenix alfredii and windowpane palm, caryotas, dypsis leptocheilos, and your favorite.... queens :D . QUeens look lousy pretty much all over florida. They just dont like our sandy soils or the alkaline soils in much of the south florida area. Chlorosis can also occur when roots are continually wet, perhaps more likely there than here. I noticed that the palms that love south florida are not necessarily the same ones that love the west coast of florida, though some are common. Alkaline soils are good for some palms like copernicias... My trip to south florida led me to believe that foxtails arent particularly happy down there, but royals and many other great species are.... I didnt see many dypsis or archonto species... But plenty of other palms. Love the black palms, but they are not an option at all in my zone...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Iron will be a problem in alkaline soils for many palms that are iron dependent. Some of these are foxtails, phoenix rupicolas, beccariophoenix alfredii and windowpane palm, caryotas, dypsis leptocheilos, and your favorite.... queens :D . QUeens look lousy pretty much all over florida. They just dont like our sandy soils or the alkaline soils in much of the south florida area. Chlorosis can also occur when roots are continually wet, perhaps more likely there than here. I noticed that the palms that love south florida are not necessarily the same ones that love the west coast of florida, though some are common. Alkaline soils are good for some palms like copernicias... My trip to south florida led me to believe that foxtails arent particularly happy down there, but royals and many other great species are.... I didnt see many dypsis or archonto species... But plenty of other palms. Love the black palms, but they are not an option at all in my zone...

Disagree about the queens, there are very nice ones growing in the muckier parts of central Florida. I think they tend to look better the further north and inland you go in Florida, until it gets too cold for them.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 4 years later...
On 2/17/2011, 8:18:04, Manolitus said:

Queen palms are the devil incarnate.

Pretty much 95 % of what is sold in Home Depot.

In Miami, 90 % of the palms out there are all the same. The same Veitchias, the same Christmas palms blah blah blah......

We have ALOT of Livistona Chinensis out here as well.........

Manny

Haha, I would kill to have a queen live up here. But I understand you all down there, they are very overused and so under-cared for all over the place.

Queens are the best palm trees EVER! That's why everyone has at least one in their yard....:bemused:

It's pretty sad if you can't grow a nice queen in a great climate...:winkie: