IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Clinostigmas in South Florida

Mandrew968

Sorry, So Cal--this topic's about the east coast! Anyone seen any Clinostigmas growing down here? Fairchild gardens has a Clinostigma Harlandii with about 14' of trunk. A friend of mine is attempting a decent sized batch of Savoryanum--not out of the solid leaf yet, but very much healthy. I know Savoryanum is well represented in California, so my guess is it's a winner down here. The Clinostigma Harlandii looked pretty healthy after two consecutive, harsh winters(by our standards) so I want to believe this lovely palm is also safe. Two down, so what about the other 9? I have been wanting to grow Clinostigma Exorrhizum for some time, but prefer to see it local before I try it out. Lastly, of all the people that may reply to this post, have any of you seen the alleged cone of stilt roots, this genus is known for, or is this an adaptation to their local environment only(the Clinostigma Harlandii at FTB doesn't have stilt roots like described in my literature)?

Im trying to to grow Clinostigmas. In the past 2 years I've killed many. I now have 5 in the ground that seem to be doing OK now, maybe past the frying stage. I've yet to get a C samoense past the entire leaf stage, but my harlandii, exorrhizum, cross (?) & savoryanum seem to be taking hold. I'm pretty far inland & the summer sun gives them a beating.

Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Im trying to to grow Clinostigmas. In the past 2 years I've killed many. I now have 5 in the ground that seem to be doing OK now, maybe past the frying stage. I've yet to get a C samoense past the entire leaf stage, but my harlandii, exorrhizum, cross (?) & savoryanum seem to be taking hold. I'm pretty far inland & the summer sun gives them a beating.

Randy

I also have issues with C samoense. Burned the heck out of one last summer (way too much sun, rookie mistake) and the prolonged cold did it in the following winter. I bought a larger one to give it another shot, but looks terrible right now. It IS pushing a spear, so who knows. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I almost gave up on this one, but you can see a nice new frond on the way up. Fingers crossed!

Randy

post-1035-083073100 1297775288_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

So cold sensitive, shelter from the summer sun--what about the soil? Did you ammend, and how is the speed of these little palms? Thanks :)

We were growing several Clinostigma here at Leu Gardens. After last winter here are results (they were about 4-5ft tall and had been growing for a 2-3 years

Clinostigma exorrhizum- killed

Clinostigma harlandii- killed

Clinostigma ponapense- killed

Clinostigma samoense- killed

Clinostigma savoryanum- no damage

And C. savoryanum has no damage after this winter. I think it will be a good palm for south FL and the warmer parts of central FL.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Keep an eye out for spider mites on young bifid leaves, especially during the dry months. They appreciate some shade when they be young.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Here is a picture of my Clinostigma samoense that has been in the ground since April 2009. It gets sun for about 4hrs (11am - 3pm) during the summer. It burned very badly during the summer of 2009 but I think that was becuase it was new in the ground. It went through the winter of 2010 with no problems and in fact it didn't even slow down its growth (I mark the spears) and had zero damage. During the summer of 2010, it burned a little. It saw 2 more freezes in December 2010 and so far its growing like a champ. In all of the cold that it has seen, it has received no protection. I have tried a few other Clinostigma's (much smaller) and all have died from the cold including my much smaller samoenses that died after the Jan/feb 2010 cold fronts.

post-1490-036706100 1297878623_thumb.jpg

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Thanks for this post Andrew. I have been researching this for a few days now and can give you a surprising report at our next PRA.

Erics report closes the case as his "Savory" did not recieve any damage.

The best part of the story though is the seafood.

Look close at this picture of Bonin

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Sorry, So Cal--this topic's about the east coast!

If you're going to apologise to So Cal, what about the rest of the world ? sorry, capricorn coast etc. :lol:

I just wanted to say that I too would like to know more about which Clinos actually do have a stilt root system, or is this a fallacy. Bo will know..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ron, are my eyes deceiving me or is that a Archontophoenix cunninghamiana. The colouring of the trunk and crownsharft is all wrong.

• Upvote 1

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

You may be onto something Brod. looks nothing like mine..

well, my savoryanum

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I feel so slighted. :(

Well, not really.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I was thinking the same thing. No wonder your Clinostigma samoense has survived, it's Archontophoenix cunninghamiana.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here are a few of my babies chugging along nicely.

post-1035-088785100 1297949883_thumb.jpg

post-1035-074070300 1297949904_thumb.jpg

If you're going to apologise to So Cal, what about the rest of the world ? sorry, capricorn coast etc. :lol:

I just wanted to say that I too would like to know more about which Clinos actually do have a stilt root system, or is this a fallacy. Bo will know..

Au contraire! I love hearing from the Aussies--I went to Costa Rica for two weeks and met a lovely couple while surfing, and picked up their accent; by the end of the trip, my roommate, Adrien, was hating me! :)

here is my Clinostigma savoryanum that has been in the ground about 4 years. No cold damage at all. Slow grower for me. In deep shade.

That looks real nice!

I second that--excellent leaf color.

Here is a couple at Leu Gardens. We have 4 planted out in different locations, none were damaged last winter or this one.

img_4627.jpg

img_3468.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

eric, that palm looks nice also!

I am surprised the C.savoryanum is so cold tolerant. Is anyone familiar with where this palm is from? does it experience low temps in its native habitat? I thought for sure my palm would die in last winter's record cold. Now I see it survives in Orlando also?!? Wow. I'll take some better photos of mine this weekend.

The first is samoense which has definitely been the fastest for me. Planted from a five gallon 3 years ago, but liked stated above seems much more tropical in its requirements. My savoryanum, which is much slower does keep a pretty good pace in the cooler months

post-4696-053321400 1298120940_thumb.jpg

post-4696-092804100 1298120984_thumb.jpg

post-4696-012755800 1298121209_thumb.jpg

About the development of stiltroots: first of all, these are generally not stiltroots in the traditional sense, like Socratea or Verschaffeltia. Those two genera will develop very unique and striking stiltroots, no matter what. That's not quite the case with Clinostigmas. C. harlandii is probably the species that come the closest, but those stiltroots, unique as they are, will never be on the "level" of a Socratea for instance. C. exorrhizum may also develop stiltroot looking roots, but it really depends on the soil conditions. Planted in deep soil they are less likely to do this. Planted in rocky conditions, which is generally the case here where I am, those rocky conditions will encourage the development of more stiltroot looking root systems. A bit off topic, but this is the same with Areca vestiarias. They can develop spectacular stiltroots if planted in rocky conditions. In deep soil, those roots will stretch out just below the surface, and it will be a very different look. Much less dramatic.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

eric, that palm looks nice also!

I am surprised the C.savoryanum is so cold tolerant. Is anyone familiar with where this palm is from? does it experience low temps in its native habitat? I thought for sure my palm would die in last winter's record cold. Now I see it survives in Orlando also?!? Wow. I'll take some better photos of mine this weekend.

The palm is from Bonin Islands. Look it up, you may like the story of the palms namesake. Very interesting! I have not found much about the natural history of the palm or other vegetation in those islands. It seems that the main island has been overused by humans, not much of the preexisting conditions remain. The other Clino's. may have more info. This one seems to be much different and may grow well in South Florida. If it forms as nice a palm as Dave posted it will be a welcome introduction to the palm landscape here.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Hi All,

The only clino that I am familiar with is C.exorrhizum.

Here is a pic of it in habitat at about 6000 meters elevation on Taveuni Island.

Jim

post-710-031924100 1298142770_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

And here is a closer view.

post-710-045897900 1298143034_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

About the development of stiltroots: first of all, these are generally not stiltroots in the traditional sense, like Socratea or Verschaffeltia. Those two genera will develop very unique and striking stiltroots, no matter what. That's not quite the case with Clinostigmas. C. harlandii is probably the species that come the closest, but those stiltroots, unique as they are, will never be on the "level" of a Socratea for instance. C. exorrhizum may also develop stiltroot looking roots, but it really depends on the soil conditions. Planted in deep soil they are less likely to do this. Planted in rocky conditions, which is generally the case here where I am, those rocky conditions will encourage the development of more stiltroot looking root systems. A bit off topic, but this is the same with Areca vestiarias. They can develop spectacular stiltroots if planted in rocky conditions. In deep soil, those roots will stretch out just below the surface, and it will be a very different look. Much less dramatic.

Thanks Bo, very well explained.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi All,

The only clino that I am familiar with is C.exorrhizum.

Here is a pic of it in habitat at about 6000 meters elevation on Taveuni Island.

Jim

THAT SHOULD SAY 600 METERS

NOTHING THAT HIGH HERE

I really don't know. I'm horrible at keeping track of plant age. However, It seems like I bought it and planted it around 4 or 5 years ago. It was a nice seedling at the time so add another year or two. Sorry, I'm not too sure. GTC palms of brevard grew it. I'll ask them of the palms age. I planted it and forgot about it until it started to get some size and showing itself.

I have another one in the yard that I planted last year. It is pretty small (about a two feet overall height).

They don't seem fazed by the cold. They are in a protected area, but probably saw near 32F if not a degree or two lower for a few hours.

• 2 years later...

Yes. this is an old topic. But I am in love with Clinostigma's!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG they are to die for especially, Clinostigma ponapense. So I am in SouthWest Florida. Please tell me I can grow this palm here. I am really curious to know how all of your Clinostigma's are doing now. If you have photos please share. I need more palm eye candy :drool: .

Clinostigma savoryanum is probably the easiest to grow(also the slowest) for us and the only one that should handle our freak colds, guaranteed. I have two in the ground and Ken Johnson has a lot more than that and they are getting huge. The other species seem to be a gamble in South Florida, though I have seen some adult samoense and a harlandii here and there...

I'm down to 3 from my original 5 & these are becoming well established. The second two photos are what I think is a harlandii & appears to be starting stilt roots. The first one I'm not sure of & the last two came from Searle's & was tagged as a hybrid from what I remember. Sorry the color setting on my camera was off, but you can get the idea of growth from the previous photos in post #17.

post-1035-0-88902700-1386255173_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-55682300-1386255191_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-57407700-1386255212_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-02920500-1386255229_thumb.jp

post-1035-0-44598400-1386255246_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

My small C. savoryanum died this summer. Couldn't handle all the rain in combination with the Spiraling White Flies.

My friend has one on Bird Key here in Sarasota growing about 4ft away from his sea wall and it's doing great. Still a huge SWF magnet though.

• 9 months later...

I believe this is a samoense. We left it in a pot for too long and it started to decline. I told my dad we need to get her in the ground if we want to keep her(she wasn't going to sell in her condition). A year or so later and she is really starting to take off!

post-5491-0-56839800-1411573406_thumb.jp