IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Clinostigmas in South Florida

Mandrew968

Update on this palm, above. I think I remember Bo saying that a certain species of Clinostigma holds the simple leaf for longer than most other species--which ever one that is, this is that one(I think samoense). Bad pic...

post-5491-0-17004900-1420561385_thumb.jp

Hi Andrew, yup it's C. samoense that hold entire leaves while still young. Yours is looking good.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is one from a friend's garden. This was a Ken Johnson special.

That thing transplanted well. :greenthumb:
It has not missed a beat! That first week, it dropped a leaf and then never looked back. It came from the Man, so it's what I expected...

good to know that they dig well...

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 5 months later...

Andrew,

We don't have the same climate, so I am looking forward to seeing my Clinostigma getting soon as nice as your. :)

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

• 10 months later...

Updates on this one. There was a lutescens that was causing this palm to bend. So as soon as I saw the kink, out came the machete!

clino1.jpg

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

I love the roots on this thing. They are furry too.

clino3.jpg

Wow, I thought they'd hate yr soil :)   She's a real fatty, look fwd to updates..       Pete

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Yeah, these don't like it here...

clino1.jpg

clino2.jpg

Nice to see such pictures of healthy happy palms,

Thank you!

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

• 7 months later...

Here is Clinostigma samoense. Doing very well and getting thicker.

20170625_134507.jpg

20170625_134518.jpg

20170625_134532.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Andrew.  That thing looks great.  How much did you amend the soil for her?  I am looking to replant in some areas here in the Keys that Irma destroyed.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Has anyone else in the Keys given this one a try?

Joe

On 1/22/2018, 5:07:47, Mandrew968 said:

Clinostigma doing well and looking reptilian.

20171130_164306.jpg

On 2/16/2011, 2:42:22, Ken Johnson said:

Bo has pix of it on his web site. Super cool! :mrlooney::mrlooney::mrlooney::mrlooney::mrlooney::mrlooney::mrlooney:

Hey Andrew.  That thing looks great.  How much did you amend the soil for her?  I am looking to replant in some areas here in the Keys that Irma destroyed.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018, 5:23:43, BPK Palm Addict said:

Hey Andrew.  That thing looks great.  How much did you amend the soil for her?  I am looking to replant in some areas here in the Keys that Irma destroyed.

Joe

Hi Joe--

I had a nice, large, trunking Clinostigma ponapense on Big Pine, about the size of the pictured C. samoense above...and no, it did not like Irma's "let's go snorkeling on the reef at 150 mph" tour. We had 4-5 feet of ocean for 12+ hours at our place on the east side of the island. When I returned for initial damage assessment on 1 October, this one was a blackened casualty. I think Clinostigma (at least C. ponapense) are mountain/rainforest specific and just don't like saltwater.

Aside from our native palms--and many Coccothrinax argentata and Leucothrinax were killed outright as well--very little survived at our place other than the stalwarts Adonidia, Veitchia (V. arecina complex and V. joannis), Cocos, Hyophorbe, Latania, Roystonea, Ptychosperma elegans  and Ptychosperma lineare (all P. salomonense were killed). But some bright spots emerge with some mostly (to me) surprising survivors that you might want to try in your replanting: Ptychococcus paradoxus, Aiphanes minima, Chuniophoenix hainanensis and C. nana, Attalea cohune. Some specimens of Licuala grandis, L. distans and L. spinosa came through with varying damage while my other species of Licuala were completely crisped. Dypsis cabadae and D. pembana are I think quite notable in their good-to-excellent condition after the hurricane, especially considering that we lost virtually all of our Dypsis lutescens, which behaved very unpredictably: Many large stands of D. lutescens in our neighborhood are completely dead, others right next to them are recovering and look all right now. In our neighborhood there are other common and uncommon palms (e.g., Heterospathe sp., Syagrus schizophylla, Copernicia baileyana) that survived in good condition. You may also want to try your hand at some cycads, which almost universally did well...I have a few Cycas, Dioon, Zamia, and am now adding more for obvious reasons!

I hope you didn't lose too much. Onward and upward.

Michael

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Andrew (sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with a hurricane report), I forgot to mention that your C. samoense looks very nice and I'm a little surprised because it looks like it's very exposed and I always thought of this one (and ponapense) as more protected, emergent light-gap species that don't like too much sun as youngsters. Also it looks like you have quite good proximity to the water where you are, did you experience some saltwater drenching during Irma? I heard there was some pretty good water-rise in various areas in Biscayne Bay. Now I'm wondering if C. samoense might have some resistance to saltwater, at least more than C. ponapense did for me...

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I’d love to try savoryanum here. I think it would be a big hit and could even be a big box best seller if propagated and marketed accordingly.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B