IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arenga Pinnata fruit

Kumar

One of the seeds I collected in Thailand was that of Arenga Pinnata - a giant short lived monocarpic palm of huge dimensions. The fruit itself resembles a peach and is soft and yielding when ripe and yellow. Here it is -

DSC02184.jpg

Anyway, I was cleaning some of the other seeds that I had brought back so as to ensure they dont start rotting and it was the turn of the Arenga. So with a knife I started peeling the flesh off. Unfortunately the fruit contained not one but three seeds?? and somewhere along the way one of the seeds coated with a sticky gelatinous substance went into the air straight towards my neck and lodged itself under my shirt where it came into plenty of bodily contact.

Now I know the literature says that the flesh of the arenga is irritating but that is surely an understatement and whoever wrote that must have had the skin of a rhinocerous, for within ten minutes of extricating the seed, there arose a pleasantly mild itch, within the next ten discomfort and in half an hour it felt as though dozens of red ants were stinging me all over - very very unlpleasant. the pain turned into an ugly rash which subsided only in the evening and even now the memory is hurtful.

Nevertheless, if that Arenga thought it could get away with assault and attempt to cause grevious bodily harm using deadly force it was mistaken. The offender was duly recaptured and stripped of its powers, literally.

Here is how the coated seed looks

DSC02186.jpg

And this is the cleaned seed, quite safe

DSC02191.jpg

Anyone have experience germinating these?

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

This is the mother plant

DSC01936.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Looks like a Syagrus.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Looks like a Syagrus.

Sorry - i may have put in the wrong photo - here is the correct one, with unripe fruit

DSC01959.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Calcutta, India

That's a better pic. They germinate very easily. Some Arengas can take some months to come up. I had an A westerhoutii seed come up about two years after the first one in the batch. You'll probably get 100% germination as you have very fresh seed.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

That's a better pic. They germinate very easily. Some Arengas can take some months to come up. I had an A westerhoutii seed come up about two years after the first one in the batch. You'll probably get 100% germination as you have very fresh seed.

Best regards

Tyrone

That sounds promising. I'm no good at germinating seed (except for phoenix - which must be the easiest to germinate) and in fact would have sent these to Kris but he has his hands full with his son so I will have to do the job myself.

Edited by Kumar

Kumar

Bombay, India

Calcutta, India

Germination is really easy in a moist substrate. Arenga seeds are not rot prone at all so its a somewhat bulletproof procedure!smilie.gif

These are remote germinators so care should be taken during transport of germinated seed to not break the radicle. Also,keep the germinated seed/young seedling in a well draining mix as they can rot. For me,they are slow as seedlings...

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''