Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fresh Chamaedorea costaricana seeds

3 posts in this topic

I just cut these four seed clusters I hand polinated last spring. post-1839-017432800 1296703181_thumb.jpg

I'd like to trade for seeds of palm species I don't have. -Or I'll just send you some. Thanks,...PM me. Perry

I am pretty new to palms, and I haven't ever harvested or grown from seed myself. Do you have an pointers for germinating chamaedorea sp.?

And how did you hand pollinate? I have a few cham. oblongata growing and I would like to make sure I get viable seeds. Is there a specific timing on collecting, storing and then pollinated?

Thanks

Todos Santos- These particular seeds I just plant in a deep flat in peatmoss & perlite mix and put out in my greenhouse. Some seeds like bottom heat to help them germinate. I have access to an isolated male and take the flowers home to polinate the female in my garden. The female seems to be ready towards the end of the time that the male has flowers. I dust the flowers a couple times a day and then when the male flower seems shot, I hang it on the topside of one of the female flowers. Perry

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0