IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The New Caledonia collection...

BS Man about Palms

I forgot to add that after a year of waiting/requesting/hunting I was very lucky to get one of these too.

post-27-0-24920100-1346000306_thumb.jpg

Clinosperma bracteale

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

But I went out to look where I keep these to a bad news/good news thing.. :(:)

I had got these in the shipment too...

post-27-0-68979600-1346002489_thumb.jpg

NOW, they are .. "a spike, and GONE"! :angry:

Something thought those leaves were delicious and ate them up..

BUT did not eat the others in the tray.. tanga, humboltiana, etc. (knock on my wood head)

So I made a slight relocation i hope no more nibblin...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 month later...

Thought I should post that I planted a coastal form of Chambeyronia lepidota.. heres hoping it does well!

post-27-0-87343200-1350859534_thumb.jpg

If its like the others I've seen around here, a mere 10 more years it should be 2 feet tall! :D

Thought I should post that I planted a coastal form of Chambeyronia lepidota.. heres hoping it does well!

post-27-0-87343200-1350859534_thumb.jpg

If its like the others I've seen around here, a mere 10 more years it should be 2 feet tall! :D

Hi Bill,Best place for N Cal palm seedlings is certainly inground , up top doesnt seem much is going on but down below the roots are hard at it , setting up for a bright , cheery future :) Best of luck with ALL your new plantings Bill, hows the Clinosperma you posted a few months ago going? is it inground yet?

The following pics are 2 of Cham lepidota, ( 2 of 3 inground lepidota seedlings from Tyrone and Teresa (Utopia) a small Basselinia Moorei that germinated 12 mths ago ( it will go inground in Dec) and a close up view of Cyphokentia macro which is really on its way now and loving the daily warm temps. Last pic is of Campecarpus f which also is on the move. Pete :)

post-5709-0-59001300-1350888200_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-02360100-1350888248_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-19057900-1350888408_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-78539600-1350888561_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-09343600-1350888770_thumb.jp

lepidota coastal form?! We really should try to stick to "mid" (400-800m) and "high" (900-1500m)! Here's a pic of the class of 2010 to show relative growth rates in the same conditions. front to back, lepidota high, lepidota mid, houailou, watermelon (from habitat with small seed), hookeri.

post-264-0-00142300-1350934807_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

SWEET Rich!

And I'm sure you figured out coastal is a "mid"... Hmmmm maybe I will be retired when they start to flower... :D

Nice job Pete on the Moorei. I have found it to be the most difficult of the larger Basselinia's to grow and the slowest. I am down to three plants with one in the ground.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Nice job Pete on the Moorei. I have found it to be the most difficult of the larger Basselinia's to grow and the slowest. I am down to three plants with one in the ground.

I will be looking after this Moorei Len as its the only 1 I have :) , its slow but very steady, will be even better inground.

Rich, the best place for all yours are certainly inground where they can "get to work" :)

Too risky just yet Pete as I'm building steps/boardwalk and fighting bamboo in the planting area. Going to be a mass planting of all the Chambey. species/varieties. Should look great in a few decades.

• 1 month later...

So... added "the other" C.lepidota into the ground yesterday... (take my word for it, its in a 5 gal pot "surround", with no bottom to it and wire cage at the bottom)

post-27-0-99509600-1355678318_thumb.jpg

Its in a resting place where i "did" have a Basselinia tomentosa.... but there are SEVERAL of THOSE carcass' around.. :(

for size, its slightly smaller than the B. pancheri when I planted it out... maybe 2/3 as big.. But bigger than the mid alt lepidota and cerifera :)

post-27-0-69247300-1355678385_thumb.jpg

Dang , :mrlooney: i am going to be extra careful pulling out all those weeds now Bill !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Yeah troy... I may need to put a flashing light and razor wire around some of these slow, rare New Cal palms!.... I'm not even sure of who else has one of this type Lepidota in the ground! B)

• 7 months later...

So, planted 2 more New Cal palms a week or so ago.. maybe 3 weeks?

post-27-0-42271800-1374947619_thumb.jpg

A Burretiokentia viellardii

And a little tiny Clinosperma bracteale

post-27-0-20411600-1374947762_thumb.jpg

Guardedly hopeful about both.

And I see I forgot to add my Chambeyronia sp. hookeri finally in the ground about 6 months now.

post-27-0-19777300-1374949162_thumb.jpg

Bill - It must have taken some time locating and acquiring all these New Caledonian species.

post-1729-0-47741600-1375018024.jpg

By the way, I got one of these for your Birthday.

Sorry, Jeff Searle contacted me and said you already had one.

Happy Birthday Bill :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

Weeellll... the bracteale is already done for.. :(

BUT, I decided to plant another cool one about where it was..

Introducing my Basselinia faveri IN DA GROUND. :)

post-27-0-94299300-1376249587_thumb.jpg post-27-0-86079700-1376249644_thumb.jpg

And in a burst of enthusiasm... I went back over near my recently planted kentiopsis piersoniorum and planted a Burretiokentia grandiflora.

Burretiokentia grandiflora. thats an uncomon one for sure . I remember Jeff Brussue telling me that his died from unknow reasons ?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Burretiokentia grandiflora. thats an uncomon one for sure . I remember Jeff Brussue telling me that his died from unknow reasons ?

I have had a few do the same. Certainly the toughest Burretiokentia to grow for us here in SoCal.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Well, I figured its chances were better in the ground than in a pot (I hope) With the exception of Basselinia tomentosa, it seems if I plant a healthy new Cal palm it lives.... oops.. except for Kentiopsis piersoniorums too.. still trying to find the happy medium there. I think the ones that died were getting to much shade and water.

I love all the New Caledonian stuff, there is something Dypsis about all these seedlings must be the island genes.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

• 1 year later...

Bump...

What a thread, AMAZING !!! so many great newcal palms out there, thought I would add my 2 little basselinia into the mix, looking forward to seeing more updates on this thread in years to come.

basselinia velutina and favieri

post-7381-0-23352600-1434273653_thumb.jp

Paul

• Upvote 1

Your collection is fantastic and I am thrilled you shared it. I am in love with every single NC palm and visiting there is near the top of my palm wish list.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Just brought home a few more "retries" today as a matter of fact.. :) Thanks for the kind words folks!

Steve, the alba is turning out to be a fairly rugged palm, but slow. I would treat similar to an Acktiniokentia divarticata. (More sun on the coastal, partial shade inland)

• 1 month later...

Just brought home a few more "retries" today as a matter of fact.. :) Thanks for the kind words folks!

Steve, the alba is turning out to be a fairly rugged palm, but slow. I would treat similar to an Acktiniokentia divarticata. (More sun on the coastal, partial shade inland)

Thanks for the advice Bill. I have a small one gallon seedling. Perhaps when it fills the container out I will plant it. Perhaps I will plant it next to my A. divaricata:)

• 10 months later...

Bump for me to update some soon..

• Upvote 1

Some updates..

Sadly, my large K. piersoniorum was killed by a freak winter storm that brought 65-70 mph winds right at it. I think it twisted and broke something inside and the fungus got in right away..  :rant: :crying: :sick:

Now I have a Psuedophoenix eckmanii in its place. Its pushed about 1/16 to 1/8 ".. :interesting:

The Cyphophoenix (Moratia) cerifera

20160529_111931.thumb.jpg.388e47e36ffbe2

The lowland variety of Chambeyronia lepidota

20160529_111917.thumb.jpg.e50f6806254c1f

• Upvote 1

And on other Chamberonia fronts... the C. houliou is trunking nicely now.. This thing grows like a freight train year round..

20160529_111958.thumb.jpg.eb6558e0b38ccb

A similar trunk, but a VERY different leaf on this Chambeyronia sp. hookeri

20160526_095047.thumb.jpg.566c5f2429119c

• Upvote 2

Switching it up, the trunkal area on said C. hookeri ..

20160528_085826.thumb.jpg.23b22647095594

And you can see the top of the C. houliou to the far left of this pic..

20160512_092050.thumb.jpg.48e4c195ef2c5c

You can also see the larger Chambeyronia macrocarpa behind in this pic too.

• Upvote 2

Said standard Chambeyronia is showing a little bit of the watermelon style.. :)

20160529_111940.thumb.jpg.dc25f5abbbd30b

And lastly, the other wee Chambeyronia lepidota highland version?

20160529_112112.thumb.jpg.8ed5d2a62a6996

more pix later..

• Upvote 2

Lets move to the remaining Basselinia's..

My larger B. pancheri carked for some unexplained reason. Got hit a bit when the mass weeding was done last year and never seemed to shake it off. Got this seedling last year and decided to plant it after it barely survived winter in a liner. Its back to growing again. I planted it near where the old one was..

20160529_111830.thumb.jpg.e4ac476260cc29

The B. eriostachys/gracilis etc. Continues to grow and be very happy..

20160529_112217.thumb.jpg.cd51909a757fde

Sorry for the Kentiopsis magnifica photobombing in the background.. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

The Basselinia tomentosa is so far the hardest of the New Cal Palms to grow... but B. moorei is only slightly harder to kill than the "winter death" tomentosa.. Actually I may amend that.. I have several tomentosa that get to a decent 1 to 2 gal size, then die  it seems when you turn your back.. on the other hand, I have yet to see a moorei larger than 3-4" tall...

The Basselinia glabrata, ex Alloschmidia may sit in the top 5, or for sure top 10 easiest to grow New Caledonia palms.. mine seems pretty happy.

20160529_112038.thumb.jpg.9797ded70229fc

The Basselinia faveri met its demise..  but I kept a Basselinia in there with this B. humboldtiana in its stead. It seems to be doing well. It overwintered in that spot.

20160529_133036.thumb.jpg.c65cdec12d505e

• Upvote 1

My Cyphophoenix elegans is really happy and fairly big. It would look larger except for the Tri-bear hybrid monster that dwarfs it!

20160529_112102.thumb.jpg.632fb4e5370702

Yes, you can see where I have not got to the weeds... but hey, much better than it has been. B)

THe Cyphophoenix nucele has been an order of magnitude slower to grow. I have seen this to be true, but occasionally some people have the opposite results and have the elegans slow and the nucele the fast one.. Not sure why.

20160529_133112.thumb.jpg.51354dfd6a52b9

3 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

OOPS!  

That should be CyphoKENTIA cerifera..... and the MID altitude lepidota instead of lowland... Sorry.

I've always enjoyed this thread Bill. Have you tried the Clinosperma bracteale again? Can't find too much info about this one in our area. Your eriostachys looks absolutely great.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Great update Bill, congrats on finally getting a cerifera, great size too, you have plenty of Basselinia's, , your Humbolt  looks darn super healthy :wub:, wish I had1 or 5,   my 1 and only Moorei passed on quickly after months of rainfall, it was just too wet, or truthfully planted in the wrong position..

Sorry to hear about your Pancherii. it was look'n great guns.

I  will post some pics when my other stuff is done n dusted and I can get a good Apple :)

Your gardens lookn great, and very weed free, well done.

Pete  :)

• Upvote 1

Bill, how are you growing the B. moorei ?  Indoors or out ?  I have  killed several from Jeff's first release indoors in my greenhouse.  Now I am thinking of trying a seedling directly in the ground.  Is it Aaron Bagley who has had good results with direct planting of NC species ?  Thanks for any info !

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California