IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea cataractarum seeds wanted

hydrophyte

Hi All,

I am developing a list of wanted species and I will have more threads like this one on the way, but the first on my list is Chamaedorea cataractarum. I wonder if anybody might have seeds or seedlings of this species available(?).

I can pay for seeds and I also have a few interesting things to offer in trade. Gifts are also graciously accepted ( :) ) and I'll be happy to pay for postage.

Cheers,

hydrophyte

• 4 weeks later...

Hydro,

Most of the cats I see 'round these parts are 3 gal or larger. I'll keep an eye out at the big box to see if any are of seedling size.

As common as these are - I'm surprised you haven't found any yet?\

Best Regards,

Rich

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am developing a list of wanted species and I will have more threads like this one on the way, but the first on my list is Chamaedorea cataractarum. I wonder if anybody might have seeds or seedlings of this species available(?).

I can pay for seeds and I also have a few interesting things to offer in trade. Gifts are also graciously accepted ( :) ) and I'll be happy to pay for postage.

Cheers,

hydrophyte

I will have to look but I think I may have a few seedlings left under my cataractarum you may have.

Hey Scott I sent a PM back to you. That would be great to get some of those seedlings. Do your plants have any new seeds developing?

• 10 months later...

Gosh I haven't been back to Palm Talk in a long time.

I am looking for C. cataractarum again. I prefer smallish seedlings with just a couple-few leaves. To get them cost-effective they also need to be pretty cheap, but maybe it would be worth your while if you can send a good-sized lot of them.

Thanks!

All your big box stores should carry these in different sizes. Our local Lowes Home Improvement, Wal Mart, and Home Depot as well as several florists and nurseries all get them in several times a year. They are cheap and already grown and potted. They usually label them "Cat Palms". I love growing from seed too but with Cat Palms so cheap and flooding the market it does not pay to worry with seeds on this one. Now for the rarer palms, seeds may be the only way.

Thanks. This is for a growout project and what I really need are seedlings between 4" and 12" tall. I have heard that cat palm is very common as a houseplant but I have never seen it for sale here in Wisconsin. We see parlor palm everywhere with many seedlings all stuffed in one pot and I wish I could find cat palm the same way, but I never have here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't been back here in a while, but I'm still looking for C. cataracturum seedlings.

I need quite a few and I need 'em cheap.