IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Tale of a Hummingbird and -- the Devil!

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Some of you may recall an earlier post concerning my kitten-cat, the Devil, pictured below.

post-208-022623300 1295404712_thumb.jpg

He's cute, and he's a cat, which means his play is training for the kill.

So far, he's mostly stuffed his kibble-hole with kitty-cat kibble.

But . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here he is against the backdrop of the office.

post-208-089401000 1295404831_thumb.jpg

Today, I was having the new windows installed in the back by our very own Palmazon.

He saw the Devil under the dining room table with what looked like a mouse.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

A wing poked out, so it wasn't a mouse.

Closer examination revealed it to be an adult male hummingbird!

post-208-053988200 1295405128_thumb.jpg

I haven't done anything to that picture.

And, it only partially captures the magical ember-glow of that red bib. These guys look like live meteors, blazing through the atmosphere, then dead-stopping in front of a flower to drill it for nectar. When people come here from other countries, they're usually quite freaked when they see one for the first time.

Old spouses (and souses?) love to tell about how if you handle a live bird, it will get a heart attack and die.

That's absolutely untrue. While it might not always be best for a bitty birdie to handle it, that alone will cause no more than stark terror.

This one just winked and blinked at us.

He didn't seem that frightened.

Maybe he was beyond terror, after being saved from the clutches of the Devil.

Here's another picture, still in Palmazon's hand, this time in a sunbeam.

post-208-042376800 1295405532_thumb.jpg

Aw, poor little thing!

I couldn't think of anything better to do . . .

. . . .so I parked him (and he IS a he, female hummers are drab-looking) next to my computer in my comfy, safe, and (for the moment) cat-free office.

Nice and sweet on a paper napkin.

post-208-073536200 1295405754_thumb.jpg

Some live fast, and some live faster, and hummers live the fastest of all. I'd read somewhere that they barely survive overnight without eating their metabolism is so fast.

So, I had to do something. But what?

H m m m m m

Hmmm.. . . .

I'd read somewhere that hummers had to have sugar, and that they shouldn't be given refined sugars.

So, I dissolved a lot of brown sugar into a little glass of water, then poured it into a saucer.

post-208-026086800 1295406025_thumb.jpg

It looks like icky sewage, leavened with some sludge. But it was nice and sweet. (I tasted it!)

Hmm.

I picked the bird up and he didn't want to let go of the napkin, which I guess was promising.

I stuck his beak into the sugar water and he drank it, you could see his flaming throat undulate as he swallowed and gulped.

But that portside list, evident in the previous picture, got worse.

Oh, dear.

And, the Devil waits, outside.

Muah ha ha ha . . . .

post-208-044103900 1295406331_thumb.jpg

post-208-057774000 1295406326_thumb.jpg

Suddenly . . . .

holy cow!

The helpless little bitty birdie took off!

And flew straight at the window and rapped against it.

I grabbed him (gently!) you could hardly feel him, he was so light, like holding a little puff of air in your palm.

He spread his wings and flapped against my lummoxen mitt.

I went outside . . .

And he flew off!

Off he went, into the screaming blue yonder, the perfect contrast to his red throat.

Zoooom!

All the way to the moon!

He flew in that special, slightly-spiral way that terrified birds do, when they've cheated death.

Which he certainly had.

Well, the Devil didn't seem all that annoyed.

post-208-096762800 1295406715_thumb.jpg

He kibbitzed by the computer afterward.

post-208-063459700 1295406747_thumb.jpg

I'm sure the belly rub helped.

Great story! Love the kitten, he is so cute :)

-Krishna

• Like 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

What an extraordinary story! :D

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'd read somewhere that hummers had to have sugar, and that they shouldn't be given refined sugars.

Refined (white) sugar is fine. Mix it at a rate of 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. I like to bring the mixture to a boil to help it dissolve, but it's not necessary.

This is my favorite type of feeder - the Hummzinger. It comes apart for easy cleaning and you can put it in the dishwasher if you want.

I've got 4 of those feeders around the yard and one hangs right in front of the window where I sit at my computer. I looked up this evening around twilight and saw 3 hummers all feeding at the same time. They're usually very pugnacious and chase each other off but I guess they were trying to get one last gulp of nectar before hitting the sack.

• Upvote 1

Love the story. Hate the cat. Cats kill more birds each year than anything else.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Hooray! Great story Dave!

Kitty - you surprise me! Cats kill birds to eat, same as they do with mice. At least ours do.

John,

Yes, they do kill birds - our native song birds. Feral cats and pet cats that are left to roam outside are a very bad thing. Cats kill over 1 BILLION birds each year in the US alone. That is more than any other cause of death. They are not native here. They will even eat their dead owner if left alone.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Palmermaid speaks my position about cats. Dave, thank you for the sucessful recovery! Why is it that domestic cats roam outdoors unsupervised? People would be outraged if their neighbor's dog roamed their property and killed small animals. :hmm:

San Francisco, California

Palmermaid speaks my position about cats. Dave, thank you for the sucessful recovery! Why is it that domestic cats roam outdoors unsupervised? People would be outraged if their neighbor's dog roamed their property and killed small animals. :hmm:

In Spain we have wild/loose/stray/abandoned/ dogs and cats. All ferrel cats are the same, they spend their lives looking for scraps to eat. Some in our garden live off avocados, but I'm sure rats and birds figure on the menu too, but they eventually die of malnutrition or someone puts down poisoned food to control the population. The dogs fall into 2 camps, those that run around in packs like a scene out of a Disney movie, and others which turn bad and go on killing sprees. We had one last year that in the space of a few days, decimated our neighbours rabbits leaving body parts all over the garden, it killed goats, chickens, decapitated a cat and finally met it's end with an axe swung by another neighbour.

You can't supervise a cat. They are naturally free-roaming.They kill mice, rats, lizards, grasshoppers and birds - but as a source of food. If you have a ferrel cat problem then that is a different matter, but there is no way that bird population figures could ever be put in jeopardy by cats on the loose.

Kitty, the US consumes 18 BILLION chickens a year, 271 MILLION turkeys and 116 MILLION pigs. Why should cats not be entitled to join our merry food chain?

So tell me, John. Do you accept predation of native birds by domestic cats to be socially acceptable? If so, why do you not support dogs behaving in the same manner?

San Francisco, California

So tell me, John. Do you accept predation of native birds by domestic cats to be socially acceptable? If so, why do you not support dogs behaving in the same manner?

I don't support it Darold, it's just a fact of life!

I don't support it Darold, it's just a fact of life!

I have to say John has a point. We humans broke the chain of nature a long time ago. In the grand scheme of issues that has caused, I'd say cats don't even make a rounding point.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Gotta disagree with you Keith and John. Everything makes a difference. The attitude that small things don't matter is not valid. Small things add up to medium things that add up to large things. Cats are only 1 example. And just because we have broken the chain in so many places doesn't mean we can break it indiscriminately. We should always be concious of our actions. Cats are a big problem. Here in Palm Beach, 2 groups fight over who should feed them! No one should feed them and elimination should be key.

Dogs are not in the same category when it comes to predation. Cats are the apex predators of the animal kingdom, even over us. In their native habitat, that is fine. Not here.

And yes we kill and eat millions of other animals. Those animals are raised for food, not killed by hunters.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

When Western Broward County (Ft Lauderdale area) was more rural, dogs were more of a problem than they are now. Farmers and ranchers pet dogs and guard dogs would meet up at night and prowl in packs, doing a good deal of damage. In my yard, there are three cats that come around. A big fat one that must be owned by somebody, a sleek black one that I suspect is owned by somebody, and a little skinny thing that is a stray and gets into my garbage when I put it out twice a week. For native predators, we have raccoons, fox and opossum, plus owls and hawks. I have no idea if native predators kill more birds than cats do but that is irrelevant. Cats should not be killing any birds.

I would never dream of letting my dog Sparkinator, go wandering the neighborhood so why is it that cats can? There is a leash law for dogs but most people don't realize there is also a leash law for cats. Walking a cat on a leash is kind of an absurd thought but it does not mean it is OK to let cats wander freely.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Hmm.

This is getting really interesting!

Agree. Cats belong inside or on a leash. The average lifespan of an indoor cat is much longer than that of one that is allowed to roam freely outdoors. I believe the average lifespan of an outdoor cat is somewhere around three (human) years. Our three (rescue) cats are perfectly happy inside looking out. :)

2005031204.jpg

Georgie20080726-01.jpg

BlueInGreenNeko20090912-01.jpg

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

I wish the Coyotes that used to be in our canyon were back, but they were trapped and/or killed a couple years ago. Might keep the rabbit, raccoon, possum and maybe even gopher population down...

But the feral cats around here occasionally get a gopher, so I'm thankful..

(before anyone goes off, a longtime owner in the hood' took one out with a rifle due to it starting to make lunches of some of the small dogs in the neighborhood....in daylight, in the front yard....with owners in the same yard... believe it or not, it was one of those owners that not much later regretted that the coyote was gone as he knew the food chain would be upset))

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Coyotes, or maybe Coy-Dogs have made it down here to South Florida. There is a town just a half mile from me, (Parkland) that had a problem with them last year. One lady was walking her little doggie down the sidewalk when a coyote jumped out of the bushes and took it. The city hired a trapper but as far as I know he only got one. The trap was set in the evening, the next morning the trapper went to inspect his trap only to see evidence that he caught a coyote but an alligator ate it up.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Coyotes, or maybe Coy-Dogs have made it down here to South Florida. There is a town just a half mile from me, (Parkland) that had a problem with them last year. One lady was walking her little doggie down the sidewalk when a coyote jumped out of the bushes and took it. The city hired a trapper but as far as I know he only got one. The trap was set in the evening, the next morning the trapper went to inspect his trap only to see evidence that he caught a coyote but an alligator ate it up.

LOL.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Feral cats and pet cats are thankfully consumed by wiley coyote in most of California :)

The Devil is the survivor of a litter-cide by a (I think) a coyote on September 22, 2010 . . . .

One out of four.

Mommy, too.