IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

nice warmup coming for cali - back into the high 70s

trioderob

I was nice to see several cities record maximums above 70F\ 21.1C today for the first time in quite a while. But more importantly, it was great that most areas were above freezing this morning. Nice week ahead but another cold storm may drop out of the Gulf of Alaska next week; hopefully it won't be anything like what just left. :unsure:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Generally March is the last month for significant rainfall in southern California and this may be the pattern for a while. After a brief warm-up this weekend, we should be in the path of systems dropping south out of the Gulf of Alaska for the next few weeks. So far this rain season has been great and the Sierra Nevada mountains are heavy in snow pack. Maybe the state will declare an end to the drought and allow increased water usage this summer. :mrlooney:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

it looks like LA NINA is starting to peter out as per the NWS.

we will be back to normal conditions in a few months and I am predicting a much warmer summer than last year.

ALOT WARMER

we will be back to normal conditions in a few months and I am predicting a much warmer summer than last year.

ALOT WARMER

Yeah, La Nina is weakening very fast but normally California is very dry during La Nina episodes; unlike this winter. I think it is a safe bet that summer will be warmer than last year since it broke all records for coolness.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

ALOT WARMER

Yeah, La Nina is weakening very fast but normally California is very dry during La Nina episodes; unlike this winter. I think it is a safe bet that summer will be warmer than last year since it broke all records for coolness.

And MattyB broke all records for Koolness. Sorry, it was there and I had to use it. :rolleyes:

Carl

Vista, CA

Generally March is the last month for significant rainfall in southern California and this may be the pattern for a while. After a brief warm-up this weekend, we should be in the path of systems dropping south out of the Gulf of Alaska for the next few weeks. So far this rain season has been great and the Sierra Nevada mountains are heavy in snow pack. Maybe the state will declare an end to the drought and allow increased water usage this summer. :mrlooney:

Happ...You cant just throw this out there...Is this a frost episode again or just cold nights at 40F that we should be expecting...

Thx for all your weather info and insight...

Edited by Just1MorePalm

ALOT WARMER

And MattyB broke all records for Koolness. Sorry, it was there and I had to use it. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol: I have no idea what that means.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

ALOT WARMER

:lol::lol: I have no idea what that means.

In the meantime please enjoy this snippet from Jobim..

♪ Tall and tan and young and lovely the girl from Impanema goes walking….♫

To stay on topic, it looks like a nice stretch of weather for Socal the next 5 days. This weekend will likely see planting preparations made.

Carl

Vista, CA

Happ...You cant just throw this out there...Is this a frost episode again or just cold nights at 40F that we should be expecting...

Thx for all your weather info and insight...

I don't think we will see another episode this winter [which ends in about 20 days] of arctic air like what occurred last week but the Gulf of Alaska is very active and frost can occur in March. The National Weather Service is predicting 40's for some nights next week.

Thanks for the compliment; we have such a benign climate that any variation is noteworthy.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

• 2 weeks later...

The end of winter is just days away, and looking back this has been a very mild winter for me. While Texas and the East Coast has experienced record breaking cold, my low for the winter was 27F on two different occasions. Normally I can expect a low of around 25F give or take a couple of degrees. This winter my Lantana is not even killed back or any damage showing on my Parajubaea cocoides which is about the most cold sensitive palm I can grow. For the past week my daytime temps have been in the upper 60's and night time, the 40's. Off and on rain is forecast here for the next several days but I don't expect much from it, except the cloud cover will raise the nighttime temps.

Dick

Richard Douglas

bad storm going to hit tonight

this one will do damage in southern cal

Wind is howling...Damage is being done now! 1 broken Hedeyscepe...Dypsis Lutescenes exploded...R. baurei fell over onto a Dypsis plumosa...So far...

and its blowing harder now then ever... :angry:

Edited by Just1MorePalm

It's been raining, misting, or drizzling in the Bay Area for the past week with only a few brief periods of sun. The forecast is for another week of soggy weather with a couple of major storms. The ground is saturated with water standing where it normally doesn't. The vacant lot across the street from me looks like a lake and there are ducks swiming in it. Another major storm or two and we will have flooding in N. Calif. Most locations in the Bay Area are reporting well above average rainfall. Temps have been normal for this time of the year with no frosts. Things are starting to grow.

Dick

Richard Douglas

We had a very nice soaking 1.4" of rain, but its clear now so that may be it for a while...The big story was the wind...We had winds from the south gusting for hours yesterday...early predictions put them at 60-70 mph...not sure what the actual was, but it blew hard...

We had gusts over 40 for sure, possibly stronger at times. The wine bottles on the rack were vibrating as the house shook. Doesn't look like any trees blew over though. I'll have to take a closer look down in the garden this afternoon. 1.3" overnight is great! I thew down fertilizer before the rain so that was perfect.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Now I think I know what it's like to sit in the spa during a hurricane, well almost! We got a total of 1.80" with the storm. Most of it was within one hr!

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Nothing but constant off and on rain in N. Calif. It is so soggy at my place that the earth worms are crawling out of the ground. All of our resevors are full and overflowing, and the snow level in the mountains is about %150 of normal. If we have a sudden warm up, there will be major flooding with the snow melt..

Dick

Richard Douglas

Nothing but constant off and on rain in N. Calif. It is so soggy at my place that the earth worms are crawling out of the ground. All of our resevors are full and overflowing, and the snow level in the mountains is about %150 of normal. If we have a sudden warm up, there will be major flooding with the snow melt..

Dick

look on the bright side

no water shortage

Dick

I read about the flood advisories in much of northern California. Next week could be quite warm w/ lots of melting snow!

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I read about the flood advisories in much of northern California. Next week could be quite warm w/ lots of melting snow!

Yep, when temps are getting close to 70F at 8,000ft, all of that snow is going to be melting quick...

Edited by enigma99