28 replies to this topic

#1 bgl

bgl

Creating my new Palm Paradise

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts
  • Location:Leilani Estates, 25 miles S of Hilo, Island of Hawai'i

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:20 PM

Annika and I have started a new site for the new LPG Pomaikai garden, in a blog format. No palms planted yet, but it won't take long before the first ones will go in the ground. Maybe this coming weekend! :)

http://lundkvistpalmgardencentral.com
Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 tinman10101

tinman10101

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:41 PM

Bo

I can't wait till you start dropping palms in. I am sure you will have many followers on your blog!!!

Cheers!

Tin
"delectare et movere"

#3 BS Man about Palms

BS Man about Palms

This TVR is trapped in my garage by PALMS!

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,452 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

May I suggest "pages"? As the people with dial up (yes, I know less and less) will take forever to load the home page.... and if you ADD to it... forget it!

Looking forward to it all though...
Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."
"Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."
-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

#4 Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff in Costa Rica

• IPS MEMBER
  • 6,291 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

Hi Bo, Nice site! I enjoyed the photos and can't wait to see more...

Jeff Anderson
Costa Rica

#5 Annika

Annika

• IPS MEMBER
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:53 AM

May I suggest "pages"? As the people with dial up (yes, I know less and less) will take forever to load the home page.... and if you ADD to it... forget it!

Do you mean Apple's pages? This is a wordpress hosted blog so we are currently working with various wordpress templates. Or do you mean "Pages" as in a listing of Pages in the sidebar?

#6 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:49 AM

Like that Live Feed thingy except I'm not from the Gold Coast.
Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.

#7 BS Man about Palms

BS Man about Palms

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,452 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:15 AM

Do you mean Apple's pages? This is a wordpress hosted blog so we are currently working with various wordpress templates. Or do you mean "Pages" as in a listing of Pages in the sidebar?

Not sure what to call it other than pages... with all the pics on the opening page, it takes a while to download. If you come back only every couple weeks, your computer will have to reload them all... Maybe a "recent progress photo log" on the home page and history links... ?
Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

#8 Annika

Annika

• IPS MEMBER
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:48 AM

I'm not from/in whatever part of Bavaria the Live Feed lists for me as well. I have learned over time that the Live Feed is not totally accurate, but it appears to get the general region correct and, sometimes is spot on as well.

#9 Annika

Annika

• IPS MEMBER
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:50 AM

Not sure what to call it other than pages... with all the pics on the opening page, it takes a while to download. If you come back only every couple weeks, your computer will have to reload them all... Maybe a "recent progress photo log" on the home page and history links... ?

Thanks for the input and it is always very useful to know the different issues users are having. We are experimenting with different templates so may indeed try one out in the future in which all the posts and pics (or all the most recent ones) don't appear on the homepage.

#10 Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff in Costa Rica

• IPS MEMBER
  • 6,291 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'm not from/in whatever part of Bavaria the Live Feed lists for me as well. I have learned over time that the Live Feed is not totally accurate, but it appears to get the general region correct and, sometimes is spot on as well.

Mine says Parrita, Puntarenas which is close enough. Parrita is the next town north of here about 30 minutes away.
Puntarenas is the province where I live.

Jeff Anderson
Costa Rica

#11 aussiearoids

aussiearoids

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

Mine indicates Mossman , and I used to live there and still have my old ISP that is based there . But its a few hundred K away :winkie:
Michael in palm paradise,
Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.
Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

#12 bgl

bgl

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

Everybody - thanks for the input! Very much appreciated! And I'll let Annika respond to the technical issues/questions. She is much better at that than I am (big understatement! :) ). And just added two posts to the blog showing today's adventures! :)
Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

#13 aussiearoids

aussiearoids

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

What are the cinders you use for the road Bo ?
Here we use crushed grey granite .
The local rock here is nicely cream/pink coloured and fairly cheap .
Michael in palm paradise,
Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.
Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

#14 bgl

bgl

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:46 AM

Michael,

Since this entire island is of volcanic origin, there are not that many choices when it comes to road material. What Greg is delivering here is a load of basically crushed red and black cinders. This one is called "two inch minus", which means it's been screened and there shouldn't be any chunks larger than that. Most of it is actually much smaller. Some cinder is very red and some is very black in nature. All depends on where in the cinder pit they're removing it from. This load is sort of in between. Generally, the red is a bit more porous. It's very lightweight and crushes down easily. A load of this is US$190. That's for 20 cubic yards. Later on, when I will be ready for a more finished look I will be adding a different type of material, referred to as "clean". This is crushed bluerock, and the bluerock is much heavier. More like granite. That material will provide for a much more stable driveway. When digging a hole manually here, if you encounter red cinder you can easily break through that manually. If you encounter bluerock, you have one choice and one choice only: give up! :lol:

Bo-Göran

#15 _Keith

_Keith

• IPS MEMBER
  • 8,499 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

Michael,

Since this entire island is of volcanic origin, there are not that many choices when it comes to road material. What Greg is delivering here is a load of basically crushed red and black cinders. This one is called "two inch minus", which means it's been screened and there shouldn't be any chunks larger than that. Most of it is actually much smaller. Some cinder is very red and some is very black in nature. All depends on where in the cinder pit they're removing it from. This load is sort of in between. Generally, the red is a bit more porous. It's very lightweight and crushes down easily. A load of this is US$190. That's for 20 cubic yards. Later on, when I will be ready for a more finished look I will be adding a different type of material, referred to as "clean". This is crushed bluerock, and the bluerock is much heavier. More like granite. That material will provide for a much more stable driveway. When digging a hole manually here, if you encounter red cinder you can easily break through that manually. If you encounter bluerock, you have one choice and one choice only: give up! :lol:

Bo-Göran

Wow, you are lucky. Here we use Limestone, with a similar grading system. Unfortunately, it is about $900 for a 14 yard load.

In my post I sometimes express "MY" opinion.   Please do not feel insulted if your opinion differs from my opinion.  That is fine.  You get to have one, I get to have one.  Its kind of like they teach you in Kindergarten, but we don't even have to share.  Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data.  Other terms may apply.

#16 bgl

bgl

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

Keith,

Not sure that "luck" had anything to do with it. Moving here to the Big Island 15 years ago was a very deliberate decision and all about simplifying my life, and I'm still evolving in this interesting process. With reference to your "2011 simplication" thread in Ohana Nui! And yes, I am being a bit facetious! But still 100% serious, if that's possible! :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

#17 LJG

LJG

Lavoixia macrocarpa

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:04 PM

Bo, hopefully you can get your old site back online somehow. I use to like to go and see a lot of the plams I have but large and see what they look like over the years as your added photos over many years.
Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)
Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-- Alfred Austin

#18 bgl

bgl

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

Len,

If you're referring to http://www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com it's still up and running, and no change is planned. I just havn't added any photos lately.

Bo-Göran

#19 LJG

LJG

Lavoixia macrocarpa

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

It was down a few times with some temp page up. I am glad it will stay online. Lots of data there.
Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)
Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

#20 bgl

bgl

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

Len,

That must have been just a temporary glitch. Certainly no plans to take down the site.

Bo-Göran

#21 Annika

Annika

• IPS MEMBER
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:06 AM

It was down a few times with some temp page up. I am glad it will stay online. Lots of data there.

Here's the issue. I design & maintain the site so I think I know what you were seeing.

As my dad pointed out, the site is up and running and there have been no periods when it was taken down. The following link is and has always been the main page for the site:

http://www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com/

Above is the VALID link

However, at some point and for some reason I can't remember, the site was once linked to, in Share-A-Site, the following link:

http://www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com/web

Above is a (now) INVALID link

This was once a valid link. The addition of "web" on the end pointed basically to just a duplicate of the site that I, as the designer, would use to test out layouts, page templates and so forth. Many people viewed the site through this "web" folder, which is now gone. I removed it simply because it makes no sense to have a duplicate of every page plus it creates slightly more work, for no apparent reason, on the designer side. This "duplication error" is entirely my doing, but there you have it. That's probably where you were going and seeing the error site. Sorry for any confusion!!!

#22 bgl

bgl

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:46 AM

Annika,

Thank you very much for that excellent explanation! More than I would have been able to come up with! :) And, incidentally, the first palms will go in the ground VERY soon at the LPG Pomaikai garden. To be documented on the blog (obviously! :) ). Every now and then I will also add something here on PalmTalk, but the blog will be more up-to-date on a continuous basis.

Bo-Göran

#23 George Sparkman

George Sparkman

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

Hi Bo,
looks like a great project and will be most interesting to follow.

Happy planting,
George Sparkman
Cycads-n-Palms.com
Happy growing,
George Sparkman
Cycads-n-Palms.com

#24 bgl

bgl

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

Hi George,

Thanks a lot! And planted my first palms there yesterday. Once I get a few more in the ground I'll start a new thread here on PalmTalk but it's already up on the blog. And Annika and I are currently checking different themes for the blog, so until we find the one we really like, the appearance will be different from time to time.

Bo-Göran

#25 BS Man about Palms

BS Man about Palms

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,452 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

I like the current layout very much Bo and Annika! as of 8:30am PST Monday..

#26 LJG

LJG

Lavoixia macrocarpa

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:14 AM

Yep. I had /web bookmarked :)
Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)
Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

#27 bgl

bgl

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

Bill, thanks for your feedback and yes I like this one as well. I told Annika that unless she finds another theme that is really outstanding, then I'd like to stick with the one we have right now.

Len, glad we (well, Annika!) were able to get that straightened out! :)

#28 Ampli

Ampli

• IPS MEMBER
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:45 AM

I'll stay tunned to see the progress of this project!!!!
Great job!!!
Ciao
Giovanni

Noci (BA) Italia
350m a.s.l.
Zone 8b/9a

#29 bgl

bgl

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

Giovanni,

Thanks a lot! And there will be frequent updates! :)

Ciao,

Bo-Göran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users