IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lundkvist Palm Garden Pomaikai

bgl

Annika and I have started a new site for the new LPG Pomaikai garden, in a blog format. No palms planted yet, but it won't take long before the first ones will go in the ground. Maybe this coming weekend! :)

http://lundkvistpalmgardencentral.com

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

May I suggest "pages"? As the people with dial up (yes, I know less and less) will take forever to load the home page.... and if you ADD to it... forget it!

Looking forward to it all though...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi Bo, Nice site! I enjoyed the photos and can't wait to see more...

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

May I suggest "pages"? As the people with dial up (yes, I know less and less) will take forever to load the home page.... and if you ADD to it... forget it!

Do you mean Apple's pages? This is a wordpress hosted blog so we are currently working with various wordpress templates. Or do you mean "Pages" as in a listing of Pages in the sidebar?

• Upvote 2

Like that Live Feed thingy except I'm not from the Gold Coast.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Do you mean Apple's pages? This is a wordpress hosted blog so we are currently working with various wordpress templates. Or do you mean "Pages" as in a listing of Pages in the sidebar?

Not sure what to call it other than pages... with all the pics on the opening page, it takes a while to download. If you come back only every couple weeks, your computer will have to reload them all... Maybe a "recent progress photo log" on the home page and history links... ?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm not from/in whatever part of Bavaria the Live Feed lists for me as well. I have learned over time that the Live Feed is not totally accurate, but it appears to get the general region correct and, sometimes is spot on as well.

Not sure what to call it other than pages... with all the pics on the opening page, it takes a while to download. If you come back only every couple weeks, your computer will have to reload them all... Maybe a "recent progress photo log" on the home page and history links... ?

Thanks for the input and it is always very useful to know the different issues users are having. We are experimenting with different templates so may indeed try one out in the future in which all the posts and pics (or all the most recent ones) don't appear on the homepage.

I'm not from/in whatever part of Bavaria the Live Feed lists for me as well. I have learned over time that the Live Feed is not totally accurate, but it appears to get the general region correct and, sometimes is spot on as well.

Mine says Parrita, Puntarenas which is close enough. Parrita is the next town north of here about 30 minutes away.

Puntarenas is the province where I live.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Mine indicates Mossman , and I used to live there and still have my old ISP that is based there . But its a few hundred K away :winkie:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Everybody - thanks for the input! Very much appreciated! And I'll let Annika respond to the technical issues/questions. She is much better at that than I am (big understatement! :) ). And just added two posts to the blog showing today's adventures! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

What are the cinders you use for the road Bo ?

Here we use crushed grey granite .

The local rock here is nicely cream/pink coloured and fairly cheap .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael,

Since this entire island is of volcanic origin, there are not that many choices when it comes to road material. What Greg is delivering here is a load of basically crushed red and black cinders. This one is called "two inch minus", which means it's been screened and there shouldn't be any chunks larger than that. Most of it is actually much smaller. Some cinder is very red and some is very black in nature. All depends on where in the cinder pit they're removing it from. This load is sort of in between. Generally, the red is a bit more porous. It's very lightweight and crushes down easily. A load of this is US$190. That's for 20 cubic yards. Later on, when I will be ready for a more finished look I will be adding a different type of material, referred to as "clean". This is crushed bluerock, and the bluerock is much heavier. More like granite. That material will provide for a much more stable driveway. When digging a hole manually here, if you encounter red cinder you can easily break through that manually. If you encounter bluerock, you have one choice and one choice only: give up! :lol:

Bo-Göran

Michael,

Since this entire island is of volcanic origin, there are not that many choices when it comes to road material. What Greg is delivering here is a load of basically crushed red and black cinders. This one is called "two inch minus", which means it's been screened and there shouldn't be any chunks larger than that. Most of it is actually much smaller. Some cinder is very red and some is very black in nature. All depends on where in the cinder pit they're removing it from. This load is sort of in between. Generally, the red is a bit more porous. It's very lightweight and crushes down easily. A load of this is US$190. That's for 20 cubic yards. Later on, when I will be ready for a more finished look I will be adding a different type of material, referred to as "clean". This is crushed bluerock, and the bluerock is much heavier. More like granite. That material will provide for a much more stable driveway. When digging a hole manually here, if you encounter red cinder you can easily break through that manually. If you encounter bluerock, you have one choice and one choice only: give up! :lol:

Bo-Göran

Wow, you are lucky. Here we use Limestone, with a similar grading system. Unfortunately, it is about $900 for a 14 yard load.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

Not sure that "luck" had anything to do with it. Moving here to the Big Island 15 years ago was a very deliberate decision and all about simplifying my life, and I'm still evolving in this interesting process. With reference to your "2011 simplication" thread in Ohana Nui! And yes, I am being a bit facetious! But still 100% serious, if that's possible! :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

Bo, hopefully you can get your old site back online somehow. I use to like to go and see a lot of the plams I have but large and see what they look like over the years as your added photos over many years.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

If you're referring to http://www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com it's still up and running, and no change is planned. I just havn't added any photos lately.

Bo-Göran

It was down a few times with some temp page up. I am glad it will stay online. Lots of data there.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

That must have been just a temporary glitch. Certainly no plans to take down the site.

Bo-Göran

It was down a few times with some temp page up. I am glad it will stay online. Lots of data there.

Here's the issue. I design & maintain the site so I think I know what you were seeing.

As my dad pointed out, the site is up and running and there have been no periods when it was taken down. The following link is and has always been the main page for the site:

http://www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com/

Above is the VALID link

However, at some point and for some reason I can't remember, the site was once linked to, in Share-A-Site, the following link:

http://www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com/web

Above is a (now) INVALID link

This was once a valid link. The addition of "web" on the end pointed basically to just a duplicate of the site that I, as the designer, would use to test out layouts, page templates and so forth. Many people viewed the site through this "web" folder, which is now gone. I removed it simply because it makes no sense to have a duplicate of every page plus it creates slightly more work, for no apparent reason, on the designer side. This "duplication error" is entirely my doing, but there you have it. That's probably where you were going and seeing the error site. Sorry for any confusion!!!

• Upvote 1

Annika,

Thank you very much for that excellent explanation! More than I would have been able to come up with! :) And, incidentally, the first palms will go in the ground VERY soon at the LPG Pomaikai garden. To be documented on the blog (obviously! :) ). Every now and then I will also add something here on PalmTalk, but the blog will be more up-to-date on a continuous basis.

Bo-Göran

Hi George,

Thanks a lot! And planted my first palms there yesterday. Once I get a few more in the ground I'll start a new thread here on PalmTalk but it's already up on the blog. And Annika and I are currently checking different themes for the blog, so until we find the one we really like, the appearance will be different from time to time.

Bo-Göran

I like the current layout very much Bo and Annika! as of 8:30am PST Monday..

Yep. I had /web bookmarked :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Bill, thanks for your feedback and yes I like this one as well. I told Annika that unless she finds another theme that is really outstanding, then I'd like to stick with the one we have right now.

Len, glad we (well, Annika!) were able to get that straightened out! :)

I'll stay tunned to see the progress of this project!!!!

Great job!!!

Ciao

Giovanni

Noci (BA) Italia

350m a.s.l.

Zone 8b

Giovanni,

Thanks a lot! And there will be frequent updates! :)

Ciao,

Bo-Göran