Loulu, The Hawaiian Pritchardias

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hanapalms

hanapalms

• IPS MEMBER
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:39 AM

This site is a blog at http://www.myloulu.wordpress.com. Come check it out and let me know what you think. It's a work in progress.Pritchardia sp. (remota, sm.seeds) 11.26.06.jpg
This Pritchardia remota grows in the Garden at Wakiu where I have been collecting as many of the Pritchardia species as I am able to acquire, I'm about halfway to acquiring all of the Hawaiian species and growing them in the same location.

More of my palm collection may be viewed at my blog site: http://www.hanapalms.wordpress.com
William
Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.
Visit my palms here

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Steve the palmreader

Steve the palmreader

• IPS MEMBER
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:20 AM

:mrlooney: Great collection of palms. Pritchardias are one of my favorites.I am tryin to grow a few different one here in FL.. But the winter weather last year and this year has keep most of them in pots. Do you sell seeds? If so PM
Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

#3 Xenon

Xenon

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:02 AM

Very nice article!
Thanks for sharing,
:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

#4 spockvr6

spockvr6

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

:mrlooney: Great collection of palms. Pritchardias are one of my favorites.I am tryin to grow a few different one here in FL.. But the winter weather last year and this year has keep most of them in pots. Do you sell seeds? If so PM

Prichardias are also one of my favorites. P. pacifica was my favorite of the genus, but these are just too damn cold sensitive. Mine lasted about 5 years but last winter got it.

I dont think P. pacifica can make it long term anywhere but the SE coast of FL, as even the ones I saw on Pine Island last year looked like they got blowtorched.

BUT, P. hillebrandii (IMO) is a reasonable alternative and is much hardier. My father has one in the ground in Palm Harbor, FL and it lived through last winter, as did a very small one I had in the ground. Mine was planted right next to my pacifica, and the pacifica was totally blasted, while the hillebrandii in its shade barely spotted.

Edited by spockvr6, 25 December 2010 - 09:24 AM.

Larry
Palm Harbor, FL 9b/10a
Bokeelia, FL 10b

#5 spockvr6

spockvr6

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:27 AM

Very nice article!
Thanks for sharing,
:) Jonathan

Yes...very nice!

Its great to see all those palms in the ground, so many of which cannot be so anywhere else in mainland USA. Although Florida is aptly named, nobody does it like Hawaii!
Larry
Palm Harbor, FL 9b/10a
Bokeelia, FL 10b

#6 LindaB

LindaB

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:02 AM

Great link William.

Thank you,
Linda

0 user(s) are reading this topic