IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Loulu, The Hawaiian Pritchardias

hanapalms

This site is a blog at http://www.myloulu.wordpress.com. Come check it out and let me know what you think. It's a work in progress.post-3769-080222700 1293266162_thumb.jpg

This Pritchardia remota grows in the Garden at Wakiu where I have been collecting as many of the Pritchardia species as I am able to acquire, I'm about halfway to acquiring all of the Hawaiian species and growing them in the same location.

More of my palm collection may be viewed at my blog site: http://www.hanapalms.wordpress.com

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

:mrlooney: Great collection of palms. Pritchardias are one of my favorites.I am tryin to grow a few different one here in FL.. But the winter weather last year and this year has keep most of them in pots. Do you sell seeds? If so PM

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

:mrlooney: Great collection of palms. Pritchardias are one of my favorites.I am tryin to grow a few different one here in FL.. But the winter weather last year and this year has keep most of them in pots. Do you sell seeds? If so PM

Prichardias are also one of my favorites. P. pacifica was my favorite of the genus, but these are just too damn cold sensitive. Mine lasted about 5 years but last winter got it.

I dont think P. pacifica can make it long term anywhere but the SE coast of FL, as even the ones I saw on Pine Island last year looked like they got blowtorched.

BUT, P. hillebrandii (IMO) is a reasonable alternative and is much hardier. My father has one in the ground in Palm Harbor, FL and it lived through last winter, as did a very small one I had in the ground. Mine was planted right next to my pacifica, and the pacifica was totally blasted, while the hillebrandii in its shade barely spotted.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Very nice article!

Thanks for sharing,

:) Jonathan

Yes...very nice!

Its great to see all those palms in the ground, so many of which cannot be so anywhere else in mainland USA. Although Florida is aptly named, nobody does it like Hawaii!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

• 3 weeks later...