IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Sabal seeds

AggiePalms

I've got some strange Sabal minor seeds to give away...I had a thread on here earlier this year about the mother plant; the leaves lay almost horizontal, the plant has only a few leaves at any time, but it grows new leaves like crazy, and hasn't increased in size much since I planted it in 1995 or so. No trunk or above ground development; all leaves are directly from the ground. I can supply photos, too. Very healthy, just an odd growth habit.

Act now and I will throw in some Sabal palmetto seeds too. Two Sabal species for the price of one! ($0.00)

Just give me your mailing address; these are very cold hardy seeds. I can probably supply 3-6 interested sprouters.

David

• Upvote 2

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

david i am just curious how big these palms get--whats the tallest you've seen?

i have had one in the ground for about 5 yrs & it doesn't ever seem to actually get any bigger,or if it does its so incredibly slow that humans cannot discern it. :mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

David, would you post a photo of the parent plant? I'd love to what it looks like. Also, does this particular variety of S. minor have a "name", i.e., like in "Louisiana"? Thanks.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

david i am just curious how big these palms get--whats the tallest you've seen?

i have had one in the ground for about 5 yrs & it doesn't ever seem to actually get any bigger,or if it does its so incredibly slow that humans cannot discern it. :mrlooney:

Thanks for asking. My normal S.minor plants have leaves that get up to 4-6 ft high, with only a short trunk. They reach that size in only a couple of years after planting out from a one gallon, so they grow quickly and make clumps...about the same height all around the region. In some very fortunate locales they will get nearly clear trunks up to 6 ft or so in height, or caudescent trunks that hug the ground for several feet. These are presumed to be very old, and certainly very beautiful, specimens.

This one weird S. minor that I have seeds from has no trunk, only 3-5 leaves at a time that come out vertical as normal, then rapidly flatten down to only 6" to a foot above the ground surface. They are normal green and healthy. It has been that way for 15 years; healthy, but no growth or increase in height. Hopefully you all will be able to determine if it is all genetics, environment or both.

Thanks to everybody who has asked for seeds; as soon as the Christmas/New Years rush is over I will get those sent out to you all. I will hopefully have a few for everybody.

• Upvote 1

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Hey Folks!

Wow! I am impressed! I got about 30 requests for seeds. Glad to see there is that much interest in S. minor variants. My seeds are from only one small plant with two inflorescences, so I am not sure how many people I can send some seeds, but I will send at least a few to as many as I can. That includes those of you from unusual locales. You all are great! I will get those sent off soon.

I hope you all had a great Christmas and please have a happy and safe New Years, too.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Hey Folks!

Wow! I am impressed! I got about 30 requests for seeds. Glad to see there is that much interest in S. minor variants. My seeds are from only one small plant with two inflorescences, so I am not sure how many people I can send some seeds, but I will send at least a few to as many as I can. That includes those of you from unusual locales. You all are great! I will get those sent off soon.

I hope you all had a great Christmas and please have a happy and safe New Years, too.

The same to you for the New Year ,al the best wishes and a good happy year .

So let's try some here in the Netherlands .

Regards

Gerard

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, now that Christmas and New Year's are over, but before a rare chance of snow in the morning...the international seed packets go out Monday; the US packets went out Friday, so all of you should be getting some seeds in a few days. Thanks for all your interest!

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Got my seeds Monday and have them potted. I can't wait to see how that mutant Sabal looks like. Thanks, David.

Meg

Florida

David, I received my seeds on Monday. a big THANKS from the heartland. I have them potted up and patiently await germination. Gig em Ags. (I am good with that).

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad everybody got theirs...and especially glad that some are already germinating! I will of course have more next fall for anyone else interested.

And I appreciate all of you who could send some seeds in return. I didn't expect any, but you all are sure nice. I will have some interesting seedling pots this year!

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

• 2 months later...

Dear David, only three made the final journey of which one is badly tipping over. HEre is one of those that made it - Its greener than I thought

DSCF0113.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

The "normal" Sabal seeds are germinating. I'm waiting anxiously for the "dwarf" seeds to germinate so I can compare. I'm definitely interested in getting more dwarf seeds in the fall.

Meg

Florida

The "normal" Sabal seeds are germinating. I'm waiting anxiously for the "dwarf" seeds to germinate so I can compare. I'm definitely interested in getting more dwarf seeds in the fall.

Sounds good, remind me when fall gets here. And I would like to see how long they take to germinate, too.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed when I was watering a couple days ago that 8 of the "mutant" Sabal seeds are showing first spikes. I also have 9 "normal" little Sabals too. It will be interesting to see how they develop. I think I finally got results when I moved the pots into full blazing sun from the shade of my Thrinax. They've been outside since I potted them in January - no artificial heat. Now summer is almost here - heck, it is because temps have been in the 90s since April - they should outgrow their community pots soon.

Meg

Florida

• 1 month later...

David an update of the sole germinated seed from your lot. It has become bluer now

IMG_0094.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Great! Glad to hear from all of you that the seeds are germinating nicely. Keep me posted!

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

• 2 weeks later...

Great! Glad to hear from all of you that the seeds are germinating nicely. Keep me posted!

Ciao David hai ancora qualche seme da potermi dare? Fammi sapere distinti saluti Nico

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nico!

I will have a new crop of seeds in October or November, and I will be happy to send you some seeds. Where should I send them?

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Hi Nico!

I will have a new crop of seeds in October or November, and I will be happy to send you some seeds. Where should I send them?

Ciao David ti ho inviato PM con l'indirizzo. Ciao e grazie Nico