IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer in the south (and winter in the north)

Tyrone

Well I thought I'd start this thread as no one else was going too. It's summer in the south, the time for us all to rejoice down here, because we've been looking forward too it for so long. Northern posters can post too, but I think there are many cold winter threads already, but this thread is not an exclusive warm south thread either.

Well here in Perth we missed everything from the big tropical low that dumped 207mm in 24hrs on Carnarvon and 112mm in 24hrs on Shark Bay. Carnarvon is under water and it shut the NW Coastal Hwy for 300km due to flash flooding risk. Just last month I was up in this area and stopped at the Murchison River crossing on the NW Coastal Hwy to take a look at the river. I'd never seen it so low before. There are many fresh water native fish (Rainbow fish) that you normally could see from the bridge swimming around. All I saw this time were mosquitoe lava, dried salty edges and the odd bit of algae. I think the water puddles left were so low they got too hot and only the tough organisms survive. It definitely wasn't flowing. My thoughts were at the time that we should be getting a large dump of rain very soon through this area, or the Murchison might just die. Well it appears to have happened now with a lot of water dumped in the Murchison catchment area. I don't think it's enough to threaten the coastal town of Kalbarri which is at the mouth of the Murchison. Just a few years ago a much bigger system went through and nearly washed the town away. It totally remodelled the beach areas along the mouth, washing away about a cubic km of sand away. The mouth used to have huge sand dunes closing in rather quickly on the river channel and you could almost walk out and touch the fishing boats as they went past you. Since that event there are no sand dunes, and Chinamans point is no longer a point. It's just a bit of limestone under the water. You've got to love the power of nature.

Here's our forecast.

Sunday Cloud increasing. Windy morning. Min 15 Max 31Monday Shower or two. Windy morning. Min 19 Max 31Tuesday Possible shower. Min 21 Max 34Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 21 Max 34Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 22 Max 37Friday Partly cloudy. Min 24 Max 36

Going for 31C today. Could do with some rain actually.

How summer in your part of the world?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Apparently it is supposed to be monsoon... but it is so far down south in Central Australia, that it didn't deliver. Weird for this time of the year. We did get all day rain yesterday, so I was hoping it would happen today, but the sun is out.... although not all the way out. So, we might still able to plant yet... We shall see....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Rain, rain and more rain, every single day...weeds are rampant! Palms are loving it. Humans are sick of it...we need sunshine desperately!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

A lot of clouds around here on the equator. And, some good rain from time to time.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Raining this afternoon... thank goodness.... enough to wet everything. The problems with rain & sun, the weeds grow much faster than everything else. I have to go out there and finish mulching.... Apparently this will continue until Monday (touch wood!!)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Drizzle/rain here for the next several days... much more rain to the north...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Its been about 10c (50f) - 16c (60f) at night and 18c 64f - 25c 76f daytime ! with rain at least 3 times per week (it's usually very dry and sunny !!!

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Strong gusty easterlies this morning. Supposedly getting some rain tonight from the low that flooded the Gascoyne. Not expecting much, but if it dampens the atmosphere and increases humidity I'm for it. Meant to be rain and 26C tomorrow as well, then showers on and off with mins around 21C and max's around 32C for the next few days. I start a new garden this week planting palms and cycads so it should be perfect weather for them to go into the ground.

It was a beautiful night last night for the U2 concert. I love this time of year.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Strong gusty easterlies this morning. Supposedly getting some rain tonight from the low that flooded the Gascoyne. Not expecting much, but if it dampens the atmosphere and increases humidity I'm for it. Meant to be rain and 26C tomorrow as well, then showers on and off with mins around 21C and max's around 32C for the next few days. I start a new garden this week planting palms and cycads so it should be perfect weather for them to go into the ground.

It was a beautiful night last night for the U2 concert. I love this time of year.

Best regards

Tyrone

Did they do this?? Was is correct?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Warming up a little here B)

and drying out a bit :o

can finally get John Deere down the bottom

without :D getting bogged to the axles

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Best regards

Tyrone

Did they do this?? Was is correct?

Yes they did. It was correct although it was actually night when they did it. Great concert as you would expect from those guys.

Still raining here...please stop!

post-42-065784900 1292759109_thumb.jpg

Another 40 + mm today

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

13.4mm of rain fell overnight and today. I kind of forgot what rain was. Got saturated planting up a garden today. Then it blew an absolute gale once the rain stopped. Expecting more rain tonight and tomorrow morning. Very unlike December actually. Didn't get to 22C today.

Carnarvon is still flooded, and the banana and mango plantations have taken a lot of damage.

Here's the forecast for Perth.

Precis: Shower or two, mainly morning. City: Min 19 Max 29 Mandurah: Min 19 Max 27 UV Alert: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme] Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH Hills: HIGH Wednesday Chance of a shower. Min 20 Max 32Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 21 Max 33Friday Hot. Partly cloudy. Min 22 Max 35Saturday Very hot. Sunny. Min 23 Max 38Sunday Hot. Partly cloudy. Min 22 Max 36Monday Chance of a shower. Min 22 Max 35

Later on this week, we'll have Darwin Build Up weather. Hot and Humid. Kind of unusual for us.

Best regards

Tyrone

It was stinking hot this morning , I decided to do my rain-dance irrigation shuffle :blink: .. and it worked .. dark clouds and a ripping thunderstorm with very heavy showers

enjoy it while it last, Tyrone... the monsoon is very disappointing... I hope this La Nina would just bugger off so we can have our normal monsoon!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Still raining here...please stop!

Here...Still drying...please stop!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It the same here as every winter, RAIN RAIN RAIN, for another two more months before we start to dry out slowly, I have a feeling we are headed for a warmer and dryer spring here, if that's even possible in the PNW. :winkie:

Even though the precept is 80% we still dry out for some of the day, but its still mostly cloudy, moss toilet seat, not mine.

f6897f1a.jpg

Rain, rain and more rain, every single day...weeds are rampant! Palms are loving it. Humans are sick of it...we need sunshine desperately!

Daryl

Same problem here Daryl... Its been raining and raining... We are also sick of it!!!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Heatwave coming our way. Got to over 34C today with increasing humidity this arvo. Up to 17.4C dewpoint at the moment and cloud cover. After getting around 14mm of rain yesterday the humid 34C today should propel things along a bit.

Precis: Chance of an afternoon shower. City: Min 20 Max 33Mandurah: Min 20 Max 30UV Alert: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme] Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH Hills: HIGH Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 21 Max 33Friday Partly cloudy. Min 22 Max 33Saturday Very hot. Sunny. Min 23 Max 38Sunday Very hot. Sunny. Min 22 Max 38Monday Hot. Chance of a shower. Min 23 Max 36Tuesday Hot. Partly cloudy. Min 22 Max 36

Best regards

Tyrone

Daryl

Same problem here Daryl... Its been raining and raining... We are also sick of it!!!

We have actually had 2 sunny days here! I spent all of my time mowing and brushcutting...literally making hay while the sun shines!

Forecast is for more rain from tomorrow, and it will be a very wet Christmas apparently.

We just topped 1750mm for the year or 70" on the official station, and probably closer to 2000mm out in the hills where I live. We will officially exceed 1800mm for sure. Not a record by a long shot, but will definitely help my water bill this year! :)

Daryl

The farm up at Childers has had 440mm for the month so far and 20-80mm is forcast every day for the next week.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Well, 30c here today and bright sunshine.... the people are coming out of hiding... :D

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Had a humid 32C today and a spattering of rain after a min of 20C. Going for high thirties from Sat onward topping at 39C by Wednesday. It will probably exceed 40C here that day. Dewpoints are set to jump into the 20C bracket here in a couple of days.

Best regards

Tyrone

More bloody rain here today...all day long...:(

wet wet wet :blink: rivers are lapping up on the bottom of the bridges around town , ground is super saturated , and flooding is imminent.

I know when it has been raining hard because the roof leaks , :rage:

raining here today... perfect. Sometimes I got annoyed because we don't get enough rain... but after hearing you all complained, I am glad I don't get that kind of rain...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

22.4C overnight and humid. Going for a cloudy 33C today with a spattering of rain.

Just looked at the 7 day synoptic forecast and it looks like we are going to go through a repeat of the event that flooded Carnarvon. Almost identical pattern. Carnarvon is still cut off from everyone by road and as of 6pm last night their drinking water was almost gone. If they got another 200-300mm of rain in that area, the levies wouldn't hold. They only just held the last time. Carnarvon could be washed out to sea. Now the ground is all totally saturated for miles inland who knows what the extent of the damage could be. The water is only receding now days after the event. Hopefully the rain bearing depression or maybe cyclone will fall to the south somewhere, and give the SW a drink.

Tyrone

Hwys blocked , my sister and her husband just had to turn back adfter driving from Townsville to Ingham to visit me before Xmas ..

Do not think I will be able to drive down to Townsville for dinner on the day .

Hwys blocked , my sister and her husband just had to turn back adfter driving from Townsville to Ingham to visit me before Xmas ..

Do not think I will be able to drive down to Townsville for dinner on the day .

Stay safe mate. All the best.

Tyrone

I am not risking life and limb for a Christmas get together ,..

to many deaths from stupid drivers trying to drive through flood waters ... :unsure: its nice and cool@ 25c so will just kick back and get some Xmas spirit into me , a nice aged gold Mexican cactus one I think :winkie:

I am not risking life and limb for a Christmas get together ,..

to many deaths from stupid drivers trying to drive through flood waters ... :unsure: its nice and cool@ 25c so will just kick back and get some Xmas spirit into me , a nice aged gold Mexican cactus one I think :winkie:

LOL. Why not.

It's cloudy and 33C here with around a 19C dewpoint which feels very humid for me. Some thunderstorms cells are flying through from the north just east of me. Will miss me though. Have to create my own rain I think. The sun's just come out from behind the clouds and boy its got some power in it at the moment.

38C on Xmas day. That'll have all the reindeers dying of heat stroke. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Hope all the North Queenslanders fare OK with the coming forecast of 500-600mm (20-25")on Christmas Day from some Super Cells forming.

Down at the farm in Childers the neighbor said last night that we'd had 510mm for the month so far and another 300-400 forecast for the next week.

Good luck

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Woke this morning to 25C and 21C dewpoints (80% RH). That's humid for Perth. Not quite the desert weather it's sometimes perceived to be over here. It's going to be a hot humid 34C today. I'm going to go out and see what's grown overnight.

All the best over in QLD with your mega rainfall.

Best regards

Tyrone

Just been working outside in the garden and the sweat is just pouring off me. I reckon under the canopy the dewpoint is about 24-26C so roughly 85-95% RH. Phewwww.

You look down the street and even though it's blue skies you can see a humidity haze over everything. This is the sort of weather I live for. The garden is going nuts.

Best regards

Tyrone

Great time of year...Christmas holidays...summer....great weather ! Is about 25C, clear blue skies...28C tomorrow...sweet. :)

Garden has gone bonkers after all the Spring and Summer rain. Hasn't been outright hot by any means, but that usually comes in January-March.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Michael, your garden must be going nuts with all the care you've given it and the good amount of rain and warmth.

Here they've changed the forecast for tomorrow from just a plain 38C to a humid 38C, after a humid 22C min overnight. I'm glad I'm in a pool surrounded by palms tomorrow. A few ciders and I'm happy. :D

Forecast for Friday eveningHumid. Moderate SW'ly winds.Precis: Humid. Forecast for Saturday Very hot and humid. Sunny until some cloud develops during the afternoon.Moderate to fresh E/SE winds, easing in the afternoon, with a moderate seabreeze near the coast.Precis: Very hot, humid. Partly cloudy. City: Min 22 Max 38 Mandurah: Min 22 Max 35 UV Alert: 8:10 am to 4:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme] Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: VERY HIGH Hills: VERY HIGH Sunday Sunny. Windy morning. Min 20 Max 36Monday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 23 Max 39Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 22 Max 36Wednesday Sunny. Min 20 Max 34Thursday Partly cloudy. Min 19 Max 32Friday Sunny. Min 20 Max 32

Best regards

Tyrone

A deafening chorus of frog croaks after another downpour .

I will not make it south for Xmas for sure .

Warming up progressively this week.....reaching 36C on Dec 31st, and then 38C for New Years Day. Yikes. :blink:

Hey - don't laugh Tyrone !! :lol: ... I think it's a little daunting because it's the first really hot blast for the summer, that's all.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Gorgeous Christmas day... as usual, it rained on Christmas day. We didn't get the huge downpour, but 15mm yesterday - which is perfect for the garden. Love this time of the year.... between rain & sun, everything is exploding left right & centre....

Merry Christmas everyone.....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"