IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trunk splitting of foxtail palms

Walt

A buddy of mine (we are both master gardners at our county extension office) has a neighbor across the street from him with a grouping of foxtail palms, and asked him for advice concerning the palms.

Two of the palms have severe splits in their trunks. The other two or three (not sure of exact count) trunks are fine (no splits).

I only know the palms were planted about one year ago and had no splits at the time. I also know the owner has an irrigation system. Also, being lakefront property, the water table is high where roots could sink into lots of water for uptake).

I've seen root splitting before, as I have many Archontophoenix cunninghamia palms with split/fissured trunks, but have never seen trunks with such damaging splits as the ones shown in the below photos (or that Cocos nucifera in a related post I just replied to).

Anyone (Aussies?) had a similar experience with Wodyetia bifurcata? What is you opinion, conclusions, etc.? My buddy would like to aprise the palm owner as to the possible causes of the splitting. Also, should the trunk be treated with any kind of fungicide or other corrective actions?

The below three photos were taken this morning (12-15-10). There's been no freezes lakeside, so I'm ruling that out as a cause.

2291985800042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2739101540042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2800432340042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

Walt,

It's because the palms already had woody trunk when they were planted. You're right, they are finding lots of water and they are happy to fatten up. So happy that they are splitting their britches. It's best not to buy skinny, woody trunked palms if they are a robust species.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'm by far no master gardener, but I have a guess.... :hmm:

I haven't dealt with foxtails too much as it gets just a tad too cold here. I looked where you're at and It looks like you're in a pretty nice area of the state as far as south (warmth) goes. If it's never frozen there at the lake then that can't be the issue.

But what's got my wheels spinning is the fact that you said the guy has only had these in the ground for a year. Where did they come from before that, and could this possibly be cold damage showing up way after the fact. Were they dug up from a location in northern Fla.? It got pretty cold up there last year didn't it?

That's my two cents, but I'm not ruling out some other reason by any means.

Edit: I like Matt's answer better :D

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

• 2 weeks later...

Walt,

It's because the palms already had woody trunk when they were planted. You're right, they are finding lots of water and they are happy to fatten up. So happy that they are splitting their britches. It's best not to buy skinny, woody trunked palms if they are a robust species.

Matt,

What will eventually happen to the palm as it splits? Will it die or grow a new layer eventually?

Walt,

Matt,

What will eventually happen to the palm as it splits? Will it die or grow a new layer eventually?

I had the same thing happen to me about 5 years ago. The Foxtail seemed to allmost heal itself, but it was wiped out by last years freeze so i cannot supply a pic.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Walt,

Matt,

Any one of those things could happen. Sometimes the crack is an invitation for pink rot to set in and eventually rot the whole plant out. The less severe cracks tend to pretty much heal up as the palm continues to expand from within. Sometimes the larger cracks rot away a bit to leave a crevas and the palm still lives on doing fine.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

looks like mechanical damage to me, from installation maybe. May have just looked like a scrape or blemish early on.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

looks like mechanical damage to me, from installation maybe. May have just looked like a scrape or blemish early on.

Alan

They were using this device ? ? ? post-1729-006191800 1293211344_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

PTD, Palm Torture Device, from the middle ages.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

cover up the split with a nice epiphyte like this antplant

or even better an Elkfern

post-354-067553900 1293232449_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Yeah, I too, concur with Matty.

Sometimes cracked palms have problems, but, in my experience, in a good environment, the plant will generate new tissue to at least partially fill in a crack.

Those are really nice Woodies, by the way.

Keep us apprized. What happens, one way or another, will inform all of us.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.