IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca caliso

realarch

Does anybody have any photos of this Areca? I planted a couple of them a few months ago and they are growing nicely, but I have never seen an adult plant in person or in photos.

At this stage of their life they look pretty much like most Areca and I imagine will grow up looking like a small catachu, but a photo would be nice. Thanks.

Here are two little ones labeled as A. caliso.

post-1300-022562000 1291571737_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I wish someone would reply to this... I don't have one so I can't really help, but I found areca to be a very attractive genus :)

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I think this is the rare sp. Arden told me about that has black fruits or seeds . He had a large plant in a pot , but it would not have fitted in the small car I got a lift home in , must get one later ,, another sp. I want to get a lot more areca spp.

Edited by aussiearoids

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Your caliso are looking really good, Tim. Did their growth pick up when you put them in the ground? Ours is still in a pot and quite a bit smaller. I've also searched and searched for photos and info without results. I hope someone out there can help.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

I had one about 12 years ago and it carked. :crying: I have not seen one around south Florida since. :violin:

It must be rare.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Well thanks for looking guys,

Lee, yes they did pick up speed once in the ground. I just hope they really are caliso and the fact that they are still solitary gives me hope. I've acquired what were supposedly solitary Areca's before only

to have them start suckering at a VERY early age.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim , where did you get your plants from ?

Wouldnt they have a mature one ?

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael, got these from a small nursery way out in the boonies south of Hilo. They could have had a mature specimen, but back then I wouldn't have known what it was even if I had walked in to it.

Evidently there is an area separate from the nursery with mature specimens, but I didn't know that and the manager didn't offer so who knows. I have reservations about going back because of the

condition of the nursery and the stock, but things change and it might be worth another visit.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim,

I have a mature Areca caliso at my garden in Leilani Estates; this is a palm that Ken Foster planted years ago. I personally do not know of any other mature plants around although I have propagated this plant for several years now and have sold a few off. What is the name of the nursery that you plant came from?

This is solitary palm with a very thin stem. This palm IMO has great landscape potential. I am away from my garden in Hawaii at this time so I am unable to get a picture posted. Another very nice looking Areca is A vidaliana.

Jerry

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

Hi All,

I don't know A. caliso, but I know A.vidaliana

thats a nice palm and it will take very bright light..

Mikey

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

• 1 year later...

I had one about 12 years ago and it carked. :crying: I have not seen one around south Florida since. :violin:

It must be rare.

Still have not found another in South Florida. The one that carked came from the late Howard Waddell, a past IPS Treasurer. :(

Thanks for the 'bump' Ron, been awhile since the post. I thought I'd post a pic of the same palms a year and a half later. They aren't exactly fast growing although not exactly slow either.

The trunks appear to be slender and much thinner than A. catechu, but not as thin as A. guppyana. Somewhere in between.

post-1300-037788700 1334277029_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks for the 'bump' Ron, been awhile since the post. I thought I'd post a pic of the same palms a year and a half later. They aren't exactly fast growing although not exactly slow either.

The trunks appear to be slender and much thinner than A. catechu, but not as thin as A. guppyana. Somewhere in between.

post-1300-037788700 1334277029_thumb.jpg

No Tim - thank you for the updated photo and observations. Seeing this old thread made be bump it to see if there may be an outside chance if there are any around. To be honest, the one I killed was from neglect. I tucked it away under a tree with a bunch of other palms and didn't keep up with its proper maintenance. I truly regret this now. :crying:

Howard was old school who often acquired rare seed and grew the stuff himself as a backyard hobbyist.

• 4 months later...

Tim,

I have a mature Areca caliso at my garden in Leilani Estates; this is a palm that Ken Foster planted years ago. I personally do not know of any other mature plants around although I have propagated this plant for several years now and have sold a few off. What is the name of the nursery that you plant came from?

This is solitary palm with a very thin stem. This palm IMO has great landscape potential. I am away from my garden in Hawaii at this time so I am unable to get a picture posted. Another very nice looking Areca is A vidaliana.

Jerry

Jerry, could you please take a photo for Palmpedia, of the mature A. caliso for us? Thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Tim,

Jerry

Jerry, could you please take a photo for Palmpedia, of the mature A. caliso for us? Thanks, Ed

I'll get one next time I visit Jerry.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes