IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December 2010 thread

Trópico

Spoiled by November warmth, off to a chilly start with lows in the very low 40's. This 80's weather is over, so enjoy the last few remaining hours :(

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

You're probably getting the backhand of what slapped us!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Predicted lows in mid-40s here Wed, Thurs, Fri. Time for serious thinking about the Cyrtostachys and Socratea.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meanwhile in Australia (South East Queensland to be precise), more of the same from N(M)ovember, rain and mild temps.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Meanwhile in Australia (South East Queensland to be precise), more of the same from N(M)ovember, rain and mild temps.

how is the palm growing out there is OZ ?

The greenhouse gets packed for the winter tonight. This is what happened last year. A warm November, slightly cooler December and then wham!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Radio this morning said Thur a.m. will be 40F. Now I'm really worried.

Meg

Florida

Wow Meg, isn't Cape Coral in South Florida? You and I in Orlando share the same lows! 40°F tonight and tomorrow night, with a gradual warmup to 42°F and mid 49°F by Saturday.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

I have been looking at the videos on accuweather this morning. It does look like winter has arrived in North America.

The Cold Settles In

Here on the equator everyday there has been some rain. And, since there are more clouds around the temperatures stay a little bit cooler.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

There's another possibly stronger front towards the middle of next week. Forecasted lows in the mid 40's will surely drop a few degrees as the days approach. I'm starting to think this winter will be as bad as last year.

There's another possibly stronger front towards the middle of next week. Forecasted lows in the mid 40's will surely drop a few degrees as the days approach. I'm starting to think this winter will be as bad as last year.

We have both been suspecting this for quite some time. While NWS was yapping about a warm La Nina winter, our thought was that it would be another cold one.

13 crotons got brought indoors last night. Not much room due to reno project, but I don't want them hurt. We'll try to bring more in tonight. If we don't get a new place soon, we'll be considering a greenhouse.

Patchy frost predicted for some areas tonight. ugh.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Crotons shouldn't be affected by this weather. I dropped to 42F this morning.

Thankfully I don't think I hit 40°F this morning. Not even dew on my car top froze. Tonight though, could be another story. Predicted low of 38°F.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

We hit 44.5 earlier this morning. Now W-Underground says low Fri will be 40F. Sheesh! I pulled in 2 smaller Cyrtostachys and the Socratea. We shoved the large Cyrtostachys into the NW corner of the lanai, hung a tarp and placed a small heater and a shop lamp inside. I checked at 12:30 and 1:30 a.m. and the temp on the thermometer also inside read ~60 both times. But my husband says bring the plant indoors tonight - despite his having back pain. What a guy! But last night he said he wants to buy a cheap place in Belize to spend our winters. We watch too much HGTV.

Meg

Florida

I have been looking at the videos on accuweather this morning. It does look like winter has arrived in North America.

The Cold Settles In

Here on the equator everyday there has been some rain. And, since there are more clouds around the temperatures stay a little bit cooler.

dk

That was the same weather pattern as last year! :huh:

Brevard County, Fl

I wish there was a way to lash back at mother nature temperature wise.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

We watch too much HGTV.

OMG too funny - cuz that's what I'm watching right now! My favorite shows are Holmes on Homes (love him!) and Disaster DIY.

Ray, I agree that crotons can take these temps. But last winter we brought them in every time it got lower than the upper 40's and I noticed they didn't lose their color or vigor at all. And yeah, they spent a LOT of days indoors last winter. :rolleyes:

I lost my sensitive palms last year, except for the ones in pots which we brought in. Of the palms planted out, the survivors were the lepto, the morrissiis & glaucas (didn't even notice it was cold), only one lutescens and a couple of roebs. Also a riv squeaked through. The carnage was awful - too many to list. Even a couple of bougies died -now that's bad.

Anyone notice that the forecast duration of this stupid cool-down is getting longer? Originally they thought Friday would be warmer - now it looks worse, and they're even talking frost. Should've built the greenhouse...

shoulda-woulda-coulda...

but didn't.

St. Pete

Here's something nasty from NWS:

.SHORT TERM (TONIGHT-SATURDAY)...

..... THE MAIN CONCERNS IN

THIS FORECAST PERIOD ARE FOR LOW TEMPERATURES WHICH WILL BE VERY

COLD THE NEXT FEW NIGHTS AND CONTINUE TO BE AROUND FREEZING IN

MANY SPOTS. THE FIRST CONCERNS ARE TONIGHTS LOWS. GUIDANCE IS

REMAINING COLD AND IS AROUND THE SAME AS LAST NIGHT IN THE NORTH

AND SEVERAL DEGREES COOLER IN THE SOUTH. THIS WILL BE BECAUSE THE

COLDEST AIR HAD NOT YET ARRIVED IN THE SOUTH LAST NIGHT. THE

CONCERNS ARE WIND STAYING UP A LITTLE BIT WITH THE HIGH NOT

CONTINUING TO BUILD IN OVERNIGHT. THIS WIND WILL PROBABLY

ALLEVIATE THE THREAT OF WIDESPREAD FROST IN THE CENTRAL AND

SOUTH...BUT WILL CONTINUE TO CARRY A MENTION OF PATCHY FROST AS

THE MOST PROTECTED INLAND AREAS EVEN IN THE SOUTHERN COUNTIES WILL

DIP TO NEAR FREEZING TONIGHT. WILL EXPAND FREEZE WARNING TO PASCO

COUNTY GIVEN THE COLDER NEW GUIDANCE AND THE PATTERN...BUT WILL

NOT ISSUE A FROST ADVISORY DUE TO CONCERNS OF WIND STAYING UP

OVERNIGHT WHICH DAMPERS THE OVERALL CONFIDENCE IN A WIDESPREAD

FROST SETUP. THEN FRIDAY NIGHT THERE IS A CONCERN BECAUSE THE HIGH

WILL BE NEARLY OVERHEAD WHICH COULD MAKE IT A BETTER NIGHT FOR

FROST GIVEN THAT WINDS WILL BE MORE LIKELY TO BE CALM. WILL

CONTINUE TO GO NEAR OR SLIGHTLY BELOW GUIDANCE FRIDAY NIGHT. HIGH

TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN WELL BELOW NORMAL WITH A SLOW WARMING

TREND TO NEAR 70 BY SATURDAY.

St. Pete

December is appearing to become more like November over here, after a December style November just passed. Cool and mild with even a bit of rain this morning. Not really unpleasant at all.

Forecast for Friday A light shower or two, clearing early in the afternoon. Light to moderate SW'lywinds freshening for a period in the afternoon.Precis: Shower or two, clearing. City: Max 22 Mandurah: Max 22 UV Alert: 7:50 am to 4:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme] Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH Hills: HIGH Forecast for Saturday Partly cloudy. Light winds, shifting moderate SW'ly during the morning andfreshening in the afternoon.Precis: Partly cloudy. City: Min 11 Max 23Mandurah: Min 12 Max 22Sunday Cloudy periods. Min 13 Max 24Monday Chance of a shower. Min 14 Max 23Tuesday Chance of a shower. Min 14 Max 24Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 24Thursday Chance of a shower. Min 12 Max 24

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The good news Frank is it's only early December and not late Dec or January. By the time Christmas gets here, the omega block "should" break down some. It is present every winter to some degree. Last year it was obviously very persistent. There is also no eastern snow pack (yet) like there was last year. Without that, the air can modify more as it comes south.

44.2F low this morning so we dodged the predicted 40. The Socratea and all 3 Cyrtostachys are indoors. Looks like they will be for the next 7 or so nights. These training cold fronts seem like a re-run of last winter but starting a month early. I'm already tired of it.

When I got home last night I spent the remaining 45 minutes before sundown watering the mulch in my shade garden with recycled irrigation water. My hope was that by soaking the ground beneath my cold sensitive palms with warm-ish water (~70F) that evaporation would hamper radiational cooling and release a tiny bit of heat energy to moderate temps. It was breezy so foliage dried quickly even though temps were quickly falling into the 50s.

Meg

Florida

well greece got spared from the extreme cold spell in europe and december started in athens with 24 C/ 75 F and south greece had 27 C / 80 C

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

WTF 24F on Monday, 25F on Tuesday and 28F on Wednesday.

I thought I lived in Florida? :)

Yeah, really - I heard about those 20s up your way and I couldn't believe it. Seems like a re-run of last winter only earlier. If it's this bad in early December what will January bring......

Very cold here. Already sick of it.

But the Sybil Griffin in my living room sure looks terrific.

St. Pete

Cold to carry on for the "foreseeable future". Already the predicted low for next Thur is 38F (after 42, 41, 41.....)

Meg

Florida

Cool weather continues. Around 22C today and even a spot of rain. More like October. Very cold for December.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Rain, rain and more rain here...good for the garden, but a bit monotonous for humans!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

No sunburn on anything then Daryl. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Weird combination today. Cloudy and a bit of rain with 22C, but a clear sky UV index of 14!!! In the top half of the sub tropics the UV Index is a scorching 17 right across the country.

Best regards

Tyrone

Right now, at high 50s, the calm before the storm. A stream of mid-low 30's predicted for the (normal) workweek with 30°F on Tuesday night. :huh:

If this comes to pass, this will be the earliest freeze so far in my 12 or so years of living here.

Edited by Trópico

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Don't look now but the 18Z GFS model today showed a 1989 type freeze over Florida on December 13th. It's still 9 days out but some of the weather media outlets are talking about this.

After a chilly start with frost reported in the usual cold pockets early this past week followed by warmth, the airmass has become more oceanic and zonal this weekend. Storms offshore are mostly restricted to areas north of southern California but tomorrow night could be fairly wet in LA. Beyond that the models seem to favor dry conditions for a while [perhaps a week or more :(

It was cool and mostly cloudy today: Hi: 65F\ 18.3C & Lo: 53F\ 11.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Don't look now but the 18Z GFS model today showed a 1989 type freeze over Florida on December 13th. It's still 9 days out but some of the weather media outlets are talking about this.

I was looking at that yesterday, Ray, and it looked like there may be another event around the 20th or so as well...

....but i decided to check the run this morning and back check it against the current temps, since the run wont be updated this early....it's temp line is off by a pretty fair amount, even given a 12 hour prediction.

It does show a switch in the NAO about that time, which would mean it would be brief if it does happen.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Right now, at high 50s, the calm before the storm. A stream of mid-low 30's predicted for the (normal) workweek with 30°F on Tuesday night. :huh:

If this comes to pass, this will be the earliest freeze so far in my 12 or so years of living here.

Here we go again! Next tuesday and wednesday mornings are going to be the first blast of many i fear. I am usually 5 degrees colder than downtown Orlando.

Man i miss Miami!

I hope what Ray is reading is wrong,, all of us do!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I am setting fire to my Carrotwood and Norfolk Island Pines to give more ambient heat tomorrow night.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I was in hopes that we would have a "somewhat" warmer winter this year. Yesterday morning my field gauge bottomed out at 28.7* and my gauge between my block house and block shed showed 31.9*. We had a very heavy frost and my grass is now brown, as well as some plants! It's supposed to be even colder this week... :( I live out in the country and all of the houses are several acres apart. I can actually drive 2 miles up the road and the outside temp gauge on my 4Runner will usually go up by 5-6 degrees on a cold night.

Edited by JayW

Zone 9 Central Florida