IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Variegated (non-palm) Tropicals

Cindy Adair

I must admit that most (not all) variegated palms I've seen just look like they have a deficiency of some sort. That's not including all the "mottled" leaves which I like. Anyway, I like some variegated tropicals to mix in with the palms so I've included a few. The variegated Ceiba pentandra and the variegated Clusia rosea are my favorites of the variegated trees. I'd enjoy seeing your favorites.Yes, I do like crotons in all their many colors.

post-4111-094172800 1290446213_thumb.jpg

post-4111-087601400 1290446241_thumb.jpg

post-4111-022143700 1290446360_thumb.jpg

post-4111-079407600 1290446745_thumb.jpg

post-4111-015453800 1290446762_thumb.jpg

Cindy Adair

I don't know what this is called but its somilar in structure to heliconias

Its usually green on top and maroon underneat but mix in some variegation and you get a riot of colors

post-1017-068995800 1290678951_thumb.jpg

post-1017-084581100 1290678973_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Its usually green on top and maroon underneat but mix in some variegation and you get a riot of colors

You are causing so much pain to my other half. He absolutely love those variegated plants & they are so hard to find here... unlike in Thailand & Philippines.

BTW, they are Ctenanthe, Gene. Gorgeous little plants. Mine suffered a bit in the dry season, so hopefully it will come back with the monsoon. And is that joey in the ground? Your arenga hookerii is stunning too...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I also noticed the gorgeous Joey!!!

Is the lovely bamboo as invasive as many? I fight (and lose)bamboo (my husband's idea) and ivy in my Virginia back yard so I've been nervous to try it in Puerto Rico. Maybe I should add the ivy and bamboo as more reasons to move from my current yard... Of course mint in PR has stayed small yet will escape every container eventually in Virginia, so perhaps other tropical plants could keep a variegated bamboo in line? I do like contrast in grouping plants and enjoyed your photos!

Cindy Adair

I also noticed the gorgeous Joey!!!

Is the lovely bamboo as invasive as many? I fight (and lose)bamboo (my husband's idea) and ivy in my Virginia back yard so I've been nervous to try it in Puerto Rico. Maybe I should add the ivy and bamboo as more reasons to move from my current yard... Of course mint in PR has stayed small yet will escape every container eventually in Virginia, so perhaps other tropical plants could keep a variegated bamboo in line? I do like contrast in grouping plants and enjoyed your photos!

That is a clumping bamboo & a dwarf one too. It stays quite compact and smaller than most clumping bamboos. If you are going to plant one or two or plenty (like me), stick with clumping variety and you will be fine.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari-thanks for the ID on the Ctenanthe. These are in the "shade garden" I started a few months back, the do well here but not in some other areas that I have planted them in the garden. They don't like strong light at all.

The bamboo is a clumper and not a runner so it is not invasive. I think they only get up to 12 feet tall but stems do spread out from the center quite a. It does well even in spots that get sun in the hottest parts of the day over here-- the variegated parts dont burn which is usually a problem for most variegated plants.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Some variegated tropical I got at home.

post-1960-036104200 1292942033_thumb.jpg post-1960-016443500 1292942061_thumb.jpg

Ixora sp.

post-1960-055974700 1292942096_thumb.jpg post-1960-097393200 1292942135_thumb.jpgMurraya paniculata

Nerium Oleander

post-1960-080308000 1292942182_thumb.jpg

Cheers!! Hendriks

Edited by ixigena

Sorry no pictures, but some of the variegated plants that do well in a less tropical climate such as San Francisco's would include:

Alpinia zerumbet variegata

Agave american cultivars

Farfugium japonicum 'Aurea-maculata'

Miscanthus 'Morning Light'

Pennisetum 'Fireworks'

Westringia fruiticosa 'Morning Light'

Furcraea foetida 'Mediopicta'

Iris pallida 'Argentea variegata'

xMangave 'Macho Moca'

xMangave 'Bloodspot'

Metrosideros kermadecensis 'Tahitian Sunset'

Oenanthe javanica 'Pink Flamingo'

many, many Pelargonium cultivars

Pittosporum tobira 'Variegata'

Rahmnus alternus 'Variegata'

Schefflera arboricola variegata

Schefflera pueckleri variegata

Solandra maxima 'Variegata'

Strobilanthes dyeranus

Tradescentia 'Blushing Bride'

Tradescentia spathacea 'Tricolor'

Tulbaghia violacea 'Silver Lace'

many Yucca species cultivars

Zantedeschia aethiopica 'White Giant'

Acuba japonica

Aechmea ornata nationalis

Neoregelia compacta 'Bossa Nova'

Agave attenuata 'Kara's Stripes'

Dianella tasmanica cultivars Silver Steak, Variegata and Yellow Stripe

Dietes grandiflora cultivars Sunstripe and Variegata

Echium candicans 'Star of Madeira'

Canna cultivars

Ceanothus griseus horizontalis 'Diamond Heights'

Coprosma repens cultivars

Cordyline austalis cultivars

Phormium hybrids and cultivars

Carex oshimensis 'Evergold'

Carex phyllocephala 'Sparkler'

Acorus gramineus 'Ogon'

Leucadendron 'Jester'

Libertia peregrinans

Libertia ixioides 'Goldfinger'

just to name a few... Can you tell that variegated plants are quite popular in the California nursery trade? Many of these will have photos in the catalog for San Marcos Growers Nursery in Goleta, California, at www.smgrowers.com, or at Monterey Bay Nursery in Watsonville, California at www.montereybaynsy.com, if you are interested to see what some of these look like.

You are causing so much pain to my other half. He absolutely love those variegated plants & they are so hard to find here... unlike in Thailand & Philippines.

BTW, they are Ctenanthe, Gene. Gorgeous little plants. Mine suffered a bit in the dry season, so hopefully it will come back with the monsoon. And is that joey in the ground? Your arenga hookerii is stunning too...

Actually, what he has is Stromanthe sanguinea 'Triostar'. These will get a stem and grow 2-3 feet tall. Ctenanthe oppenheimiana 'Tricolor' looks similar but does not develop stems.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ctenanthe oppenheimiana 'Tricolor'

9b63.jpg

Stromanthe sanguinea 'Triostar'

5957.jpg

71b0.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Acalypha wilkesiana 'Java White'

2305.jpg

Justicia gendarussa 'Variegata'

a10b.jpg

Spathiphyllum 'City of Angels'

img_0718.jpg

Alocasia macrorrhizos 'Variegata'

59cd.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Aspidistra lurida 'Amanogawa' ('Milky Way')

img_0372.jpg

Pandanus pygmaeus 'Variegatus'

33f8.jpg

Podocarpus macrophyllus 'Variegatus'

9755.jpg

Magnolia 'Pure Joi' (Michelia)

img_2763.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Strelitzia nicolai 'Variegata'

354f.jpg