IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus lyrata

Luisd

Some pics of this african fig:

13112010422.jpg

13112010427.jpg

This is one of the biggest I know in my city.

And others:

13112010457.jpg

Leaf detail:

13112010458.jpg

In colder winters some leaves are damaged, but grow well in the climate of Málaga.

• Upvote 1

Great pics! Though typically few-branched in the US, they are still seldom seen here as such well-defined single-trunked trees.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

This is a picture of one in this area. Malaga is one incredible spot. I am waiting for you to show your Coconuts!:

P1020242.jpg

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

Beautiful tree! I think I'm intimidated by the diversity/number of trees in this genus and have put off learning to sort them out. Nice leaves.

Cindy Adair

Very nice photos - this species seems to have an uncharacteristic thin trunk for such a large crown. Bubbas photo is more well-proportioned.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Found another one. Still on the prowl:

P1030279.jpg

Close-up on the leaves:

P1030280.jpg

This is not the best but I am on the hunt.

What you look for is what is looking

Here is a large one at the Montgomery Botanic Center in Miami

img_1603.jpg

and a giant growing at Cypress Gardens, the canopy was severely damaged in the 2004 hurricanes, this pic was taken in 2005

80ba.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Those single trunked F. lyrata are something I'm not used to seeing. I've only seen one F. lyrata in my environs that has a single trunk, and I was surprised to see it. All of the F. lyrata trees I've seen around here exist only in lake front communities where freezes (that could major damage a F. lyrata) are infrequent.

2365765790042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

1094582932042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2347121620042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

• 6 years later...

This Ficus lyrata is growing in the Sun 'N' Lakes subdivision on the S.E. out skirts of Lake Placid, Florida. This subdivision (IMO, based on the amount and size of zone 10+ palms and plants growing there), is the warmest subdivision in Highlands County, Florida, due to it being situated on the east shore of Lake Grassy, with numerous canals running through the subdivision from the lake.

Ficus%20lyrata%20in%20Lake%20Placid%20Su

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms