IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Prestoa

edbrown_III

The urban rainforest topic got me reminescing about PR. -- I used to visit PR frequently over the years --- I shot many photos in EL Yunque---

Heres a few scenes featuring Sierra palm --- its been named diffent names P. montana Euterpe globosa -- acuminata etc. Photos are scanned -- rain forest is hard to photo grph as you get lots of mist.

Offered for dialogue and interest.

Best regards

Ed

post-562-062878200 1289670868_thumb.jpg

post-562-029530100 1289671166_thumb.jpg

Hey Ed,

nice shots. Have you tried these at your place? Bet thats a yes of course … I've had a difficult time getting to grow up past juvenile stages, planted at 3g size two germ. from habitat seed (wherever Mike D collected), they lasted for 2-3 yrs then died, and always during summers. These were Prestoea acuminata var. montana - kept them shaded (among citrus), so don't think heat was culprit; am wondering if it could be a soil def., nematodes, etc. Beautiful palms, need to try again. How far up elevation wise were they?

Sorta on topic I've tried close neighbor Calyptronoma rivalis here as well, again with limited success. Of course I am very high n' dry here (128 ft ASL), know this one loves wet feet, thought the same for Prestoea as well but could be wrong. Have one rivalis left around chest high, it has really struggled over this extremely dry summer, planted by the AC condensation drainline which helped some but now not running AC so will see what happens...

- dave

Nice looking palms, I saw this P. acuminata at a friends garden just north of Hilo. I was surprised at it's size. Maybe the 1200 foot elevation has something to do with it.

I planted a couple in my garden and so far so good.

post-1300-027754200 1289704008_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hey Ed,

nice shots. Have you tried these at your place? Bet thats a yes of course … I've had a difficult time getting to grow up past juvenile stages, planted at 3g size two germ. from habitat seed (wherever Mike D collected), they lasted for 2-3 yrs then died, and always during summers. These were Prestoea acuminata var. montana - kept them shaded (among citrus), so don't think heat was culprit; am wondering if it could be a soil def., nematodes, etc. Beautiful palms, need to try again. How far up elevation wise were they?

Sorta on topic I've tried close neighbor Calyptronoma rivalis here as well, again with limited success. Of course I am very high n' dry here (128 ft ASL), know this one loves wet feet, thought the same for Prestoea as well but could be wrong. Have one rivalis left around chest high, it has really struggled over this extremely dry summer, planted by the AC condensation drainline which helped some but now not running AC so will see what happens...

Frank

Good to hear from you-- yes I tried the P. montana but too dry and probably too cold. I have it together a bit more with irrigation s0 its a possibility. How far down in the 20's it can take is a question. During those days I was tryig Ceroxylon and Rhopalostylis --- Had them growng for about a decade but a severe cold in 1999 finished them off. I might try it agian tho -- I am much more frosty than Tampa .

Best regards

Ed

Nice looking palms, I saw this P. acuminata at a friends garden just north of Hilo. I was surprised at it's size. Maybe the 1200 foot elevation has something to do with it.

I planted a couple in my garden and so far so good.

post-1300-027754200 1289704008_thumb.jpg

How old is the plant? it looks as happy as a PR Sierra palm.

Best regards

Ed

This is my favorite Prestoea scene

DSC00863.jpg

Edited by Trópico

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes