• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tinman10101

tinman10101

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:38 AM

Hello all

I know there has been much debate over having a sub forum under cycads but I was emailed this site recently from some cycad enthusiast from SA. I thought I would post it here. It is relatively new and in its infancy but maybe it could be something that all you cycad lovers can contribute to. :D

http://cycadelic.phpbb.net/

Cheers!

Tin
"delectare et movere"

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Madchemis

Madchemis

• IPS MEMBER
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:09 AM

Hello all

I know there has been much debate over having a sub forum under cycads but I was emailed this site recently from some cycad enthusiast from SA. I thought I would post it here. It is relatively new and in its infancy but maybe it could be something that all you cycad lovers can contribute to. :D

http://cycadelic.phpbb.net/

Cheers!

Tin

Thank Tin,

Hope you see you US folks there to do some exchange/sale.

-David

#3 freakypalmguy

freakypalmguy

Super Freaky

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the link Tin, it would be nice if the yahoo group would switch to a forum format like this.
Matt in Temecula, CA
Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and the ocean.
Posted Image

#4 Madchemis

Madchemis

• IPS MEMBER
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for the link Tin, it would be nice if the yahoo group would switch to a forum format like this.

Completely agree with you Matt!, how about it Jody and Greg?

#5 Mr Cycad

Mr Cycad

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Hmm, looks like an exact format copy of 'The Cycad Forum' with 50 times less members? :blink:

THE CYCAD FORUM
Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

#6 CTLouis

CTLouis

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:31 AM

Hi Friends! :D

I am the founder (Creator) of the Cycadelic forum.

Let me start by saying that the Cycadelic forum is not an alternative to other forums. The idea of its creation was to JOIN other forums in creating conservation awareness and sharing information regarding various cycad species, not to replace or challenge it.

Mr Cycad - the reason there are 50 times less members is because the forum was created less than a week ago. As you can imagine, it will take some time before it enjoys the necessary exposure to increase its member-base, however, it will be listed on the Google index soon so hopefully (praying) it will start getting busier soon! :unsure:

Secondly, what will make this forum different is that we want to create a permanent profile dedicated to each specie - or even form of species - where ALL information regarding the said specie will be consolidated and made available for easy reference. Imagine going onto a site, doing a search for say "Latifrons", and for once finding ALL the information regarding the specie in one place, eg. photos of seed, different stages of seedling growth, male & female cones, coning times, best growing conditions, ID characteristics like leaf detail, caudex closeup, etc. But before I sound desperate, it will basically be an online encyclopedia with the added benefit of a discussion group.

Also, the benefit of the forum will stem from user participation, as new information can be added to specie profiles based on extensive debate - and trends. Anyone is expected to create a profile for a specie. :rolleyes: Whilst being in South Africa, we have access to a lot of Encephalartos resources, I do not want the other genii to go unattended - and that is the beauty of gathering people across the world into one place to work together on such an immense project.

My dream is for it to have a Cycad Encyclopedia feel to it, updated through the personal experiences and research of hobbyists and collectors.

Sorry for the long message.

Sincerely,
Louis

#7 Patricia-CR

Patricia-CR

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 884 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

Thanks, Louis, nice place. I already register there.

Patricia

#8 yachtingone

yachtingone

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:15 AM

I like this site! I hope it takes off!:D

Randy
test

#9 JamesL

JamesL

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:50 AM

Looking Good Louis !

I think it is just a matter of time and it will take off.

James

#10 yachtingone

yachtingone

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

James we could add some content!:D
test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users