IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bambusa textilis gracilis

Walter John

This bamboo is the first of my bamboo group to really begin to burst into growth so far. Is anyone else growing this bamboo ?, recommend you give it a try, it's a tight clumper, medium grower with a graceful habit.

post-51-013569900 1288521854_thumb.jpg

post-51-067752700 1288521816_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I got a real large sprouted branch from a mate . Its been potted up and looks great .

Will be planting it out in the new year as part of my noise abatement program.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

yes... I have one!! growing really well now... getting to a good height.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I have one in the ground.first year,and it put out about 10 new shoots.bambusa lako 2 years in the ground,3 new shoots

Wal,

My gracilis is my best performing bamboo. It put up 10 new culms this fall and they are topping out at about 10 feet or so with a 3/4 inch diameter at base. The 3 year old clump now had ove 30 culms from the 3 I planted. I expect the next years culms will finally be tall enough to start arching like the mature plant should.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Wal,

My gracilis is my best performing bamboo. It put up 10 new culms this fall and they are topping out at about 10 feet or so with a 3/4 inch diameter at base. The 3 year old clump now had ove 30 culms from the 3 I planted. I expect the next years culms will finally be tall enough to start arching like the mature plant should.

I totally concur John.

My gracilis is frost, drought, wind and rabbit proof.....it stays green all winter in an exposed location, grows without extra water in our dry sand and always looks good - a stellar plant. Tougher than the ventricosa and multiplex planted next to it.

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

• 2 weeks later...

13 days later those new canes are shooting up big time. I've turned this side garden into an easter island theme..

post-51-025058100 1289604593_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We planted about 60 of them from small 300 pots up at the farm at Childers just over two years ago, it really goes fast and fills in well to form a wind break, we planted at about 1 meter apart.

036.jpg

035.jpg

034.jpg

033.jpg

Will be over at the farm next week as long as Qantas can find a plane with four functioning engines.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Incredible Bruce, here's another update on mine, photo taken this morning. These guys are fast.

post-51-096699200 1290300700_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

I'm up at tha farm and here are a couple of updated photos from yesterday, they have certainly filled out in the past 3 months.

oz112010051-1.jpg

oz112010050.jpg

I'm going to pick up some Malay dwarf to plant this weekend

Bruce

I'm going to pick up some Malay dwarf to plant this weekend

Bruce

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Went by the Olde Butchers Shoppe this morning but didn't see any Malay Dwarf around, will have a bit more of a scout around.

Windbreaks are essential around Childers...............

oz112010057.jpg

oz112010056.jpg

I got a real large sprouted branch from a mate . Its been potted up and looks great .

Will be planting it out in the new year as part of my noise abatement program.

Mate,

I read a Dept of Forestry report on field tests somewhere, a couple of years ago, testing noise abatment . It virtually said that no plant works a reducing noise. It must be solid, thick solid fence with a closed tight fitting solid gate or earth wall or American redwoods hip to hip,no gap. They did say however that the sight of plants between the noise source and people made people feel better and not 'notice' the noise as much, although the recording instruments told a different story. I'm not saying don't plant, just that the other parts of your program may be more important than you realized.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.