IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trunk splits

Walter John

I have two palms with major trunk splitting happening. I was told that this is due to excessive water. This can't be correct in my case. Rain is scarce and my additional watering is only minor really.

Anyone have advice/opinions/comments ?

here are the two palms in question.

Archontophoenix tuckerii

tuckerii1.jpg

Dictyosperma album var rubrum

dictyo.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

bumpety bump ... Does this have you stumped ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

i see that alot here on archies,not sure what the cause is but it doesn't seem to hurt the palm.sorry,not much help ???

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Perhaps I have some insight,

I have numerous Archontophoenix triples.  Those that are irrigated by drip irrigation all show the splitting seen in your images although not as bad.  However, I have several Archontophoenix triples that are irrigated by sprinklers and none of these have the splitting of the trunks.  Thus, I do think it is from water and somehow drip irrigation causes some issues not seen with sprinklers.  I would point out that sprinklers probably reflects the normal mode of irrigation for these palms and therefore splitting is not seen in wild populations.

Hope this helps, Patrick

Bonita, California (San Diego)

Zone 10B

10 Year Low of 29 degrees

6 Miles from San Diego Bay

Mild winters, somewhat warm summers

10 Miles North of Mexico/USA Border

1 acre

the general concensus seems to be that this problem is water or drainage-related,but i would like to see some

"hard" evidence...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I wish I knew the answer.

Some species definitely do it worse than others.

I've noted that specimens grown under rough conditions tend to split much worse than those in gardens.

Which does point to watering.  

I had an A. alexandrae split badly when I took it out of a garbage can it had been growing in, and planted it in the ground.  The new trunk didn't split.

Hmm.

Gonna do some dogpiling . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have queens, and various Archontos that have vertical splits in the trunks, and it seems to be on the faster growing palms and palms with expanding trunks widths.  I assumed the fast growth caused the trunks to split, these splits don't seems to have any effect on the health of the palms.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Dear wal  :)

i had a similar problem with my coconut tree,

and on contacting the nursery people,they told

me i had over fertilized the plant and also fed it

with ample water so it the chemical reaction that

took place within the palm body that resulted in

those burst like cracks_and iam sorry to say there

is no cure for this problem.

too much love can spoil ones kid_this will apply to

even plant fertz !

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I would like to suggest that there may be more than one reason trunks split. Maybe many. I have never heard one explanation that has satisfied me.  And I would also like to suggest that different species may split for different reasons.

Big help, aren't I ?

Sometimes a simple question may have multiple, complicated answers. And this may be one of those.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

(Dypsisdean @ Dec. 24 2006,03:05)

I would also like to suggest that different species may split for different reasons.

Big help, aren't I ?

Sometimes a simple question may have multiple, complicated answers. And this may be one of those.

Dear Dean

I loved your Explanation Method  :D  :D  :D

And it seemed to be quite naughty...

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Whatever the reason I'm not sure but,I have seen several palms planted in front of a building in a small area and most had a split about 4ft long. They are not irrigated and I doubt they are ever fertilized.

David

Moist supple wood on palm trunks in humid climates or with real rain and sprinklers instead of drip seem to be less prone to this spitting business.

Drip irrigated palms in low humidity and no real rain and never a hosing down of any sort seem to be quiters and frequently split.

The "wood" as it expands when growing in dry climates is less able to handle the required expansion and..tada...splits, especially when given a new vigor by some kind hose wielding waterer after zero hydration by some xeriscaping "conservationist" who has at last moved on or passed the palm to a more kindler gentler water waster.

Wood which is at least moderatly moist because of less arid condtions and more consistent "proper" hydration seems much less likely to be rended in twain.

So long nearly waterless periods followed by long waterful periods may be a factor in some palm splitting.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

less likely to be rended in twain.

I love that line Alan, may I use it ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

After re-reading my answer above with a fresh mind this morning, let me expound briefly on this subject.

For every answer and explanation I have ever heard regarding trunk splitting, I have been able to recall, or later witness, an exception to said explanation. Therefore I suggest there may be more than one cause. Some possiblities may be watering methods (as already mentioned), humidity (as already mentioned), brief exposure to intense sun, fertilizer anomalies (as already mentioned), viruses, fungi, or other pathogens (I had several Howeas with abnormal splitting which over 15 years later developed trunk "blotches", and died prematurely), certain insecticides or fungicides on certain palms, etc.

So, all these explanations may be correct. Just not correct in every instance or circumstance.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I wonder if specific palms have splitting characteristics in certain conditions? I would be interested to take a survey of the palm tree type and what conditions it grew under to produce the splitting....maybe there's a trend. ???

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Hey Wal, I wouldn't worry about it.  I had one palm (A cunninghamiana) that cracked and looked exactly like that.  It was planted in a dry area of my yard where it was not watered much.  The cracks started out deep and then after a year or two, they appeared to fill in.  I guess the trunk was expanding and stretched the cracks out because when I last looked, I could hardly notice them anymore.

Jeff in St Pete

I agree there is possibly a few reasons for cracking.

I have seen palms like Archo... sp  die from lack of water and the trunk actually shrinks mature palm trunks are almost like a sponge in some regards,you can see this in a cross cut of a palm trunk, it's totally different to a tree trunk.

Perhaps during dry periods the trunks shrink slightly.

Then during very wet periods the trunk expands too quickly past it's original thickness, causing splits.

If my theory is valid climates with a even rainfall should see palms with less cracks?

Sunshine Coast

Queensland

Australia

Subtropical climate