IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis heteromorpha

Bags

I purchased this plant in spring of 2008 as a overgrown one gallon. By August it had rooted out a five gallon pot and I planted it. It gets full sun from about 10am, puts out 5 or 6 leaves a year and always looks great. One of the best palms for coastal SoCal for sure.

Here it is in 08

GardenSesptember2008057.jpg

Here it is today

YardOctober2010076-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Looks great Aaron. Loves that spot. Once these get established they seem to grow about the same speed as a baronii.

• Upvote 1

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Great loooking palm. How cold hardy is it?

Paleo Faliro, coastal Athens, Greece

Lat 37° 55' 33" N - Lon 23° 42' 34" E

Zone 9b/10a, cool winters, hot summers, coastal effect

Thanks for posting those pics. I planted my 1 gallon this past summer and it's been slow but steady so far. Mine doesn't have any fuzz on it yet. Is that something that yours had when you got it, or did it develop that later?

Thanks for posting those pics. I planted my 1 gallon this past summer and it's been slow but steady so far. Mine doesn't have any fuzz on it yet. Is that something that yours had when you got it, or did it develop that later?

There are two of these plants going around. One is this plant and another that looks like a Baronii type. The ones I have all showed fuzz from a small size. Post a pic.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks all.

Basilios,

Not sure how cold hardy this palm is. They have only been around for a few years, but they supposedly come from some elevation so might take some cold. They for sure seam cool tolerant.

Jason,

It started out with a black base and not a lot of fuzz, as soon as I put it in the sun it turned green and has been getting fuzzier ever since.

• Upvote 1

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

I love the recurved leaflets on these.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

There's something 215 about pics 1 and 2 in post #2. :hmm:

What do you think Daryl ?.....and Bill ? :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This comparison has been made a few times now Wal. They sure do look similar.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Just as Len said, been mentioned before. But Daryl's seems to have more fur and color. That could be cultural and particular plant differences...

(Just happen to always keep a 215 pic handy.... :P )

post-27-049129100 1288316180_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Why don't you tell everybody how you stole it? Great lookin palm but it makes me bitter everytime I look at it. :mrlooney:

Ok Ok I stole it. Just don't tell my parole officer because this would be my third strike...Seriously though I feel really bad about it so I am going to make it up to you. When It sets seed (probably within the next few weeks)I am going to sell you some at a 10% discount. Just present a copy of this post at time of purchase. Limit 10 per person.

• Upvote 1

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Well played Aaron.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Daryl's is off-the-charts fuzzy!

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I told myself I wasn't going to get another exotic palm this year, but after seeing what a gorgeous palm yours is turning out to be... I love the symmetrical look....maybe after new years. :wub: Should be hardy than most.

Roger.

• Upvote 1

Real nice looking palm there Aaron!

That's the biggest one I have seen and I had no idea they were that cool looking.

Recurved fronds are sweet.....and the fuzz!!

It went into ground at a relatively small size and is doing great.

Gonna plant mine out after see this.

Of course w/ the appropriate rabbit and gopher protection.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

I think Daryl's is D. heteromorpha.. more fuzz cause it's growing in queensland prob. Very nice palm. We planted one here and the main stalk died over summer, prob too much water. It's in the baronii complex, so it's death didn't surprise me..

• Upvote 1

One of my D. heteromorphas has suffered from some suckers dieing off. It still has about 6 stems though.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It's in the baronii complex, so it's death didn't surprise me..

I doubt it. Probably its own species.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I had not seen this palm before this post. I liked it and did an online search. Some photos show a red coloration on the stems; others do not. I would appreciate those of you who have heteromorphas or are knowledgeable about them letting me know how often the stem is colored.

Thanks,

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Could be the same..they look very similar apart from the colour of the leaves and the red fur. Maybe just different varieties of the same species...

post-42-075050500 1288614752_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Could be the same..they look very similar apart from the colour of the leaves and the red fur. Maybe just different varieties of the same species...

post-42-075050500 1288614752_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Yeow! I hope someone is able to confirm their ID. I would love to have this palm.

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

I doubt that Daryl's is the same as D. heteromorpha because even in Hawaii this palm doesn't have that much red fuzz. Here's a link to Palmpedia where there's some pics of Jerry Andersens D. heteromorpha. It's fuzzy, but not that much.

D. heteromorpha on Palmpedia

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I would love if Jerry could update the pic for comparison. I still think they are one in the same. Daryl has yours been that fuzzy since seedling to 5g size? Also some palms have more than others, Daryl may just be the lucky one who got the fuzziest one. Marcus has laughed at me on several occasion when trying to ID palms based on fuzz, speckles or minor color differences. Truth will be told when they flower and seed.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Thanks, Matty and Ellidro. Saved me from rushing out and buying one.

Lee

Lee

I would love if Jerry could update the pic for comparison. I still think they are one in the same. Daryl has yours been that fuzzy since seedling to 5g size? Also some palms have more than others, Daryl may just be the lucky one who got the fuzziest one. Marcus has laughed at me on several occasion when trying to ID palms based on fuzz, speckles or minor color differences. Truth will be told when they flower and seed.

I was there two weeks ago at Jerry's. They are VERY similar. I think Daryl just really scored a beauty.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

The crown on Daryl's palm looks much more open than D heteromorpha to me. Also there is a very strong ridge continuing down from the petiole into the crown that looks different. And Daryl's palm looks like it might be tristichous? To me they sure look different.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Here is a better overall pic I found of Daryl's palm. Sure looks like Heteromorpha to me. The leaves are recurved and it has similar size leaflets that are V shaped and drooping. The crown shaft also fades from fuzzy to green at the base just like mine. It does have a lot of color, but this could be something that developes with age or like some have said some are just fuzzier than others.

post-1497-051629700 1288663381_thumb.jpg

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Matt, the tristichous look thing has caught my eye in the past too.

Dypsis heteromorpha is supposed to be tristichous...if Bags' plant in the original post is not, then it aint...

But it is very attractive and well grown none the less!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Part of the description of D.heteromorpha from POM...

Clustering palm in tufts of 3-6, but sometimes appearing solitary. Stems 3-13 m high, 8-12 cm diam; internodes green, nodal scars obvious. Leaves c. 10 in the crown, tristichous; sheath 27-50 cm long, to 7cm wide when flattened, with sloping shoulders, adaxially red-brown, abaxially very waxy, in the distal part with dense reddish laciniate scales, petiole absent or up to 35 cm long, 1-1.8cm diameter, densely pubescent or with scattered scales; rachis c. 1.5 m long, in mid-leaf 0.9-1.3 cm wide, slightly keeled, pubescent on both surfaces, leaflets (number unknown) regular, the proximal 20-62 x 0.2-2.5 cm, median 41-67 x 1-3.5 cm (interval 1.5-3.5 cm), distal 7-35 x 0.6-2.5 cm, main veins 1-5, and with thickened margins, abaxially with scattered reddish glands on the minor veins and continuous or scattered laciniate ramenta 3-20 mm long on the midrib...

Glaucous leaf

post-42-007532600 1288665351_thumb.jpg

Tristishous arrangement

post-42-090337100 1288665391_thumb.jpg

Keeled rachis

post-42-062354600 1288665416_thumb.jpg

Green trunk

post-42-086116900 1288665449_thumb.jpg

'pubescence'

post-42-019891700 1288665475_thumb.jpg

A lot of the details in this description match the characteristics of my '215', however, the true species is supposed to have bifid leaves on young stems etc hence the specific epithet. Mine has never displayed this (I grew mine from seed). Also, mine suckers like crazy, not just 'tufts of 6 stems'.

Ellidro, it has been furry red since about the second leaf.

Another interesting fact is that this palm has not been collected since 1959 (although that doesn't mean there aren't seeds and plants that have been 'unofficially collected' and introduced into cultivation.

So, IMO, Dypsis sp 215 could be very close to the true D.heteromorpha, but until it flowers and fruits....

regards,

Daryl

A couple more photos...

post-42-047188100 1288667568_thumb.jpg

Ramenta

post-42-030344300 1288667590_thumb.jpg

Leaflet veining

post-42-058915700 1288667724_thumb.jpg

This is a photo of the parent tree in Madagascar...

post-42-063829900 1288668056_thumb.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Daryl,

Thanks for your pics and comments. I am so enthralled with that 215 palm of yours and palms like Dypsis sp. black stem.

I think the D heteromorpha thats going around here in SoCal is a watered down version of D. sp.215...sorry to say. Hopefully I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Daryl, thanks for more great pictures of the 215... and making more people interested..:angry:

This plant does not behave in our climate like you would expect from heteromorpha given its high altitude provenance. It does grow here but certainly prefers heat. I wonder where that picture was taken in Madagascar? Great thread!

cheers

Richard