IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Garden Visitors

Daryl

We get a fair amount of wildlife in the garden here, including Wallabies And Kangaroos, plus many other native animals, birds and reptiles.

This little Wallaby was happily munching on the Singapore Daisy this afternoon. Even though wet from the rain, his fur is much darker than that of the usual wallabies we get around here.

post-42-074755600 1286605749_thumb.jpg

post-42-067174000 1286605781_thumb.jpg

Daryl

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

We get a fair amount of wildlife in the garden here, including Wallabies And Kangaroos, plus many other native animals, birds and reptiles.

This little Wallaby was happily munching on the Singapore Daisy this afternoon. Even though wet from the rain, his fur is much darker than that of the usual wallabies we get around here.

post-42-074755600 1286605749_thumb.jpg

post-42-067174000 1286605781_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Are they related to Walaroo?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Believe it or not Dean, Wallaroos are very similar, but closer to a Kangaroo in appearance. They are not usually so 'coastal' but could possibly inhabit the area. This is just the common local Wallaby, but with a bit more 'colour'. I am suspecting it is one that has been visiting my garden since very small, the rusty belly being very distinctive when he was still just 'out of the pouch'. This little guy/girl is about 1 metre tall as sitting.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Could be! At least he's not called 'Wombat' That is a frequently used term in these parts...

Daryl

• 7 months later...

Here's a couple of bird photos from the garden...

Willy Wagtail

post-42-061910000 1305413521_thumb.jpg

Rainbow Lorikeet perched up at about 100ft

post-42-085491300 1305413527_thumb.jpg

PeeWee

post-42-010155500 1305413572_thumb.jpg

Kookaburra

post-42-096401400 1305413576_thumb.jpg

Aussie Magpie

post-42-089946300 1305413583_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

There seem to be a lot of Black and White birds here lately...

Wagtail...

post-42-078611700 1305713041_thumb.jpg

Pied Butcher bird eating the cat's breakfast

post-42-066742000 1305713714_thumb.jpg

Pale Headed Rosella

post-42-021928000 1305713831_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few more birds from today...

Spangled Drongo

post-42-006512900 1306846896_thumb.jpg

post-42-082658400 1306846899_thumb.jpg

Silvereye

post-42-066629300 1306846891_thumb.jpg

Golden Whistler

post-42-096977400 1306846887_thumb.jpg

Pied butcher Bird

post-42-092214700 1306846884_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Nice Daryl. I love to see wildlife in the garden!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Excellent photos, Daryl. Birds can be so difficult to photograph, always moving and often backlit or obscured by foliage. Quite a varied group of visitors.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Great pictures Daryl.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Great shots Daz, more would be good. I was down Stanthorpe last week, saw heaps of black cockatoos, crimson rosellas and a couple of wedge tails, love the aussie bird life we have.

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Looking good Daryl, I love birds in the garden

I did'nt realise that the Pale headed rosella's came that close to the coast. I would love to have them in my garden.

I get the Eastern rosella here all the time, the pair even raised 4 young last spring, I occasionally get crimson rosella in winter here as well.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

• 1 month later...

Here's a few more from the garden...

Fig Bird

post-42-016488900 1311385363_thumb.jpg

Scrub Turkey

post-42-032758800 1311386156_thumb.jpg

Female Spangled Drongo

post-42-046915900 1311386196_thumb.jpg

Rainbow Lorikeet at Newcal's place

post-42-047585900 1311386225_thumb.jpg

Quack

post-42-044446200 1311386848_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Striated Pardalote...this little fella was hard to catch...a bundle of nervous energy...

post-42-011957400 1311854903_thumb.jpg

Daryl

• Like 1

Here's a couple of larger animals this morning...

post-42-008144500 1312240279_thumb.jpg

post-42-047414100 1312240275_thumb.jpg

post-42-086076900 1312240282_thumb.jpg

Daryl

• Upvote 1

You live in a zoo or what? :mrlooney: I get excited when I get a fox in my back yard and you have Roos bouncing around. I'm jealous.

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 1 month later...

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree...

post-42-027216900 1315693518_thumb.jpg

Brown Pidgeon?

post-42-029339000 1315693591_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A couple of non-birds...

Water Dragon hiding on a tree trunk

post-42-071293100 1316332512_thumb.jpg]

post-42-065939100 1316332516_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A Dwarf Tree Frog

post-42-072433900 1316432712_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

This being North America, the yard gets eastern gray squirrels (the ones that overran England), marsh rabbits, black racer snakes, legless glass lizards, opossums, moles (they seem to like the bromeliad bed), Cuban tree frogs, Carolina and Cuban anole lizards, and the usual birds--cardinals, blue jays, fish crows, with occasional white ibis. The plastic flamingos don't count. The big iguanas plaguing south Florida haven't reached here yet.

Wallabies would be neat.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dave, are the White Ibis a pest there? The ones here go through the garbage and are dirty scavengers. They smell pretty bad too!

Daryl

This Goanna lived in the nursery at Mission BEACH , I have seen one in my back yard.

post-354-030082100 1316771912_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Daryl,

The white ibis aren't pests as far as I am concerned. They fly around in small flocks and eat bugs in the grass. We are starting to get more glossy ibis here in Palm Beach County - a little south of Dave. I think the ibis are adapting to the ever-changing landscape we have created.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

• 2 weeks later...

Daryl,

The white ibis aren't pests as far as I am concerned. They fly around in small flocks and eat bugs in the grass. We are starting to get more glossy ibis here in Palm Beach County - a little south of Dave. I think the ibis are adapting to the ever-changing landscape we have created.

Hi Kitty, I'm thinking our White Ibis is a different species to your White Ibis... the old 'common name' issue!

Here is a little birdy that was perched high up in my Blue Quandong yesterday...a Black Faced Monarch...

post-42-063409900 1317644681_thumb.jpg

Speaking of birds, I heard this interesting bird on my recent rainforest walk with Charles from Portugal... I never saw it, but it had an interesting call. Here is a poor quality video...you may have to turn up the sound.

Daryl

• Upvote 1

Daryl,

When I was Down Under, I noticed your Ibis were white with black heads. They were very aggressive, sort of like our seagulls at the beach, but I guess yours go inland too. Our Ibis are brown as juveniles then turn all white. They are not aggressive at all and like Kitty says, they flock in small numbers eating bugs and grubs from your lawn.

One time, while giving a tour in the Arboretum, I came upon a flock of Ibis poking their long beaks into the grass, looking for something to eat. One Ibis was separated from the others and one of the tourists commented that the flock must have ostracized him. I wisely explained that ostriches are a completely different type of bird.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

But, did he have his head in the sand???:D

• 3 weeks later...

Birds love power lines!

post-42-015606200 1319449354_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Pete, I thought it might have been one...it certainly sounded like a cat!

Daryl

Daryl, I just played your video of the catbird and the dogs came running! The volume wasn't even turned up that high, and they were even a few rooms away . Maybe because they had never heard one before....

We have some sort of interesting wildlife around here.

Cigs102320.jpg

This guy was in town, but not at my place.

• Like 1

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Daryl,

When I was Down Under, I noticed your Ibis were white with black heads. They were very aggressive, sort of like our seagulls at the beach, but I guess yours go inland too. Our Ibis are brown as juveniles then turn all white. They are not aggressive at all and like Kitty says, they flock in small numbers eating bugs and grubs from your lawn.

One time, while giving a tour in the Arboretum, I came upon a flock of Ibis poking their long beaks into the grass, looking for something to eat. One Ibis was separated from the others and one of the tourists commented that the flock must have ostracized him. I wisely explained that ostriches are a completely different type of bird.

Hi Jerry, here's a link to this aussie white ibis to clarify. I actually thought it was a species that flew in from Asia in the 70s/80s or hitched a ride with some boaties because I never saw or heard of them till I was about 30 years old. Apparently it's native though and edged eastward to the populated coastal areas of Australia due to long extended inland droughts.

Australian White Ibis

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This morning, on the pool deck, I found evidence of a night time visitor. It was a little gruesome so I did not take a picture of it. All sorts of frogs and toads swim in my pool and last night we had several inches of rain so it was like frog heaven in my back yard. One of the visitors was the Cane Toad, Buffo marinus. Most know that this toad has poison glands on the back of its head/neck, and most animals avoid it for this reason. This morning I found a cane toad, minus all its four legs lying on its back in a tiny pool of blood. Apparently, whatever predator did it has leaned to eat all the legs but leave the body alone.

• Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

In Florida, our Ibis look like this with white heads and orange beaks and legs.

post-106-062861000 1319924525_thumb.jpg

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

This morning, on the pool deck, I found evidence of a night time visitor. It was a little gruesome so I did not take a picture of it. All sorts of frogs and toads swim in my pool and last night we had several inches of rain so it was like frog heaven in my back yard. One of the visitors was the Cane Toad, Buffo marinus. Most know that this toad has poison glands on the back of its head/neck, and most animals avoid it for this reason. This morning I found a cane toad, minus all its four legs lying on its back in a tiny pool of blood. Apparently, whatever predator did it has leaned to eat all the legs but leave the body alone.

Interesting. I wish I had that predator here (within reason), the toads are becoming plentiful again, annoying buggers. :rage: , one of the worst introduced animals here for sure.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The native crows in these parts have figured out how to eat Cane Toads. I find a lot of them in my yard , dead on their backs with their guts eaten out. The word has got out how to handle them!

The only good thing is that they keep the deadly snake population low.

Daryl

• Upvote 1

That is interesting about cane toad predators. Although the toads are native here I do not see many of them. I suppose that there are natural predators that keep their populations down here. Since the rains have now kicked in the frogs have started to sing again.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg