IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What ding dong bumped about 30 poll threads?

LJG

This poll bumping ticked off a lot of people. Seriously annoying. So who ever you are, I am sure 30 votes could have been skipped.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I was going to say the same thing... but I don't want to upset anyone...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

You know me Ari :) But my comment was simply a non-harmful use of slang. No offense intended.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I can see bumping old threads, but polls? Wouldn;'t that be like asking people on the street how they voted about a month after the deed is done? :hmm:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I can see bumping old threads, but polls? Wouldn;'t that be like asking people on the street how they voted about a month after the deed is done? :hmm:

Thats a good idea Bill, then you would know who to blame

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

This may be partially my fault. The new upgrade set the default to bump threads/polls when a new vote is made. I guess it would be better to not allow a new vote to bump a thread. I believe I can still make it that way. Any feedback???

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Maybe segregate the lot, or program the opposite, place them at the rear. :unsure:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I say only bump a thread when you add a post, not a vote.

That way we know who did it..... :hmm:

And Peachy, I thought the same thing, it would make me feel better to know who was at fault, but not really fix anything....

In reality it could have been a new member that just decided to take some polls they found, but not brave enough to post yet. If thats the case, they're excused I say. It wasn't their fault as Dean mentioned.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yes Dean, change it back. The bumping of these polls was really annoying, it is hard for me to even take bumping a two year old post but this is way worse.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Why don't we just have a separate section for polls? Or, should I say, polls and trolls.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Maybe segregate the lot, or program the opposite, place them at the rear. :unsure:

They're still there this morning, major turn off, looks a good time for my annual period of PA (posting abstinence).

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I have no preference one way or the other. Just keep in mind that if people vote without leaving a comment, it will drop off the first page fairly quickly.

But I don't think a separate place for polls is a solution. It would just have me performing more housekeeping and watching for and moving polls to that section all the time because half the members wouldn't get the memo. And we have enough sections already.

What Bill said: bump if a reply is made, but not if an anonymous vote is made.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Come on Dean, tell us who did this. I know you know. I want to send Moose and Rocko over for a visit.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Come on Dean, tell us who did this. I know you know. I want to send Moose and Rocko over for a visit.

That information may be available for the right price. :)

That information may be available for the right price. :)

Let's do a poll to see who can pick the right price... :lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It appears that the proper thing is to have all polls with an expiration date feature. Say 60 - 90 days then it locks and allows no further voting. Just some food for thought.

Wal stop teasing, start your posting sabbatical now. :angry:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

It appears that the proper thing is to have all polls with an expiration date feature. Say 60 - 90 days then it locks and allows no further voting. Just some food for thought.

Sounds good Ron. Please keep track of the date each poll begins, then continue to monitor them day by day and notify me, with a convenient link to each poll, when they are 60 days old. Then I will be happy to lock them.

Of course I'm being facetious. But I hope you get my point.

I don't even know which one to read anymore... :(. All the interesting threads have been buried now...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

What a storm in a D cup. If bumped threads annoy you all so damned much then post a new topic and push them off the page. Its not rocket science. Personally I get to see things I missed when someone bumps so I have no problem reading older topics. The moderators have enough to do keeping wicked old harridans like me in line without bothering with old threads. Anyhow as all the bumped polls seem to be staying around for the moment people must be enjoying them enough to participate. When Palm Talk goes through a phase that bores me, I go do things in the garden.

Peachy

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I'm with Peachy on this one.

Randy

:interesting:

I agree with the both of ya.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I recall a couple of weeks ago posting about what I thought was a strange event, when a topic appeared at the top of the forum without subsequent postings. Then Dean replied, saying it was because votes alone will bump the topic. Soo.. a mystery PalmTalk-er full of himself, sneaks into an old, "haunted" poll on his way to the main forum. Len and Co. arrive later, after they break down on their way back from a harmless PRA. Their suspicions raised, they set out to investigate and head off to different parts of PalmTalk, finding clues, danger, snacks and plenty of fun along the way. Then everyone realises that the mystery polls are not being proliferated by ghostly goings on, so they set a trap, and ask the local Moderator for some help, but his men won't go near the place for fear of upsetting the county sheriff. Then Bo turns up as the mild-mannered janitor and MattyB pulls his mask off to reveal Pohonkelapa. Lens lot can't suppress their gasps, as the phantom prince of snarkness curses: "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!" laugh.gif

• Upvote 1

Telling me it is my issue to be annoyed is no different then me telling you it is yours to not be annoyed. If you don't have an issue with it, good. But plenty did and you sure are not going to down-play my annoyance with the fool who did this. So while you go get some air, I will call out the person so hopefully we can avoid this happening again. I enjoy reading PT and it made it tough to do what I enjoy - that means reading threads on PT, on my iPhone, while on the crapper. :drool::hmm:

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Telling me it is my issue to be annoyed is no different then me telling you it is yours to not be annoyed. If you don't have an issue with it, good. But plenty did and you sure are not going to down-play my annoyance with the fool who did this. So while you go get some air, I will call out the person so hopefully we can avoid this happening again. I enjoy reading PT and it made it tough to do what I enjoy - that means reading threads on PT, on my iPhone, while on the crapper. :drool::hmm:

Len,

I don't know who did it, and I haven't even tried to see if I can find logs that would tell me. But my suspicions (based on some facts) are that it was just a new member who wasn't comfortable with posting yet, but wanted to get involved. And I'm sure he had no idea that his votes would be bumping threads, let alone annoying anyone when they did.

I will change the setting to prevent votes alone from bumping. Otherwise this whole affair appears to me as a "tempest in a teapot."

You're a "tempest in a teapot.".

Thnaks for making me use Google again today.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Telling me it is my issue to be annoyed is no different then me telling you it is yours to not be annoyed. If you don't have an issue with it, good. But plenty did and you sure are not going to down-play my annoyance with the fool who did this. So while you go get some air, I will call out the person so hopefully we can avoid this happening again. I enjoy reading PT and it made it tough to do what I enjoy - that means reading threads on PT, on my iPhone, while on the crapper.

Posting while on the crapper on Palm Talk. :huh: That is nasty, :sick: there has to be a rule against that. :evil:

That is annoying me, Dean make him stop.

:crying:

I'll send you pictures next time Moose.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

You're a "tempest in a teapot.".

Thnaks for making me use Google again today.

Didn't know scrolling was such an effort.

The option for preventing the bumping with a poll vote is MIA with this new upgrade. I'm waiting for an answer from the support staff. In any event, I can't "unbump" them no matter what.

Dean, I think you are talking things too serious here. Go for a swim. Just having fun.

But yes, scrolling on the iPhone on 3G is a pain. Not all of us can afford computers and The Internets connected to it 24/7.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

"You can't unbump what's been bumped", I've always said that.. :winkie:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dean, I think you are talking things too serious here. Go for a swim. Just having fun.

But yes, scrolling on the iPhone on 3G is a pain. Not all of us can afford computers and The Internets connected to it 24/7.

I take my job very seriously. In fact I'm trying to find a good low priced ISP that treats their customers with respect. Do you know any? :)

BTW, I thought their was only One Internet.

George W Bush "I hear there's rumors on the Internets that we're going to have a draft.". :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

George W Bush "I hear there's rumors on the Internets that we're going to have a draft.". :)

Did Al Gore invent all of them? (veering into politics, proceed with caution)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

A general

:floor:

Is issued here for the above statements..

I confess. Dave did it.

Not really, but if this thread is to continue to talk about nothing, I want in on it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The pain is the toilet seat ring on your buttocks, get off the crapper dude! :bemused::rant:

No more pictures please. :crying:

Moose :floor:

Telling me it is my issue to be annoyed is no different then me telling you it is yours to not be annoyed. If you don't have an issue with it, good. But plenty did and you sure are not going to down-play my annoyance with the fool who did this. So while you go get some air, I will call out the person so hopefully we can avoid this happening again. I enjoy reading PT and it made it tough to do what I enjoy - that means reading threads on PT, on my iPhone, while on the crapper.

Posting while on the crapper on Palm Talk. :huh: That is nasty, :sick: there has to be a rule against that. :evil:

That is annoying me, Dean make him stop.

:crying:

There are enough rules around here already! Let's just continue with the policy of don't ask, don't tell. We won't ask what you are doing while lurking on PalmTalk and we can't be bothered by your activities if you don't tell us.