• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia x Jubea

edbrown_III

I am enjoying the commentary about the various hybrids. THis is a palm I got from Merrill a few years back.

It is one of the Butia x Jubea hybrids Its getting pretty massive --- It sets fertile fruit and I dust wiht coconut or what ever pollen I have .

I put a 3 gallon and a milk crate in the front for comparison

Best regards

Ed

post-562-092650700 1284155865_thumb.jpg

post-562-023494900 1284155919_thumb.jpg

post-562-055155700 1284155937_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

It appears that the fronds have a twist to them, do my eyes deceive?

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Thank you Ed, she's a beauty. I think the twist is characteristic of this cross.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Nice palm Ed,

Is this the parent palm of the BXJXS seedling that you gave me?? She is a beauty!

Your dogs look happy roaming the jungle, and i don't blame them at all!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Butia x Jubaea in Augusta, GA:

DSC_0101.jpg

And another:

DSCN1858.jpg

Both trees came from Dr. Wilcox by way of Donald Coleman.

Both trees bear copious amount of viable seed. There are babies coming up everywhere.

Edited by JLeVert
  • Upvote 2

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Ed, that palm seems very similar to photos I saw of merrills , it is a beauty. I really like the way it puts up those straight twisted fronds.

Do you know if it was an F2 or an F3 ?

Jo, yours is amazing, the colour is incredible. I have what I think is a much smaller F3 here, but it will be some years to grow up. It doesnt have the straight fronds, but if it looks like yours I will be very happy !

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Nigel,

if memory serves me right it is F3 --- I th ought it was a pure Butia but the Jubea characteristics are starting to present themselves after a decade.

Jules -- yours show the effects of full sun --- mine if planted by the boarder and a neighbor has a hugh pine that shades it more than I wlike --- I have a high water table here

Best regards

Ed

Butia x Jubaea in Augusta, GA:

And another:

Both trees came from Dr. Wilcox by way of Donald Coleman.

Both trees bear copious amount of viable seed. There are babies coming up everywhere.

second one is just amazing,thank you for photos :)

Nice butia x jubaea guys, they look so different from each other, and same here.

Just got these in the mail today from Tejas tropical nursery and David told me these were seedling he got from Patrick S.

Both are very different from each other but I like that. David I love them, and a really good price too. Trunk photo's also.

27d4ada4.jpg

Trunk one on left.

c1ed27f3.jpg

Trunk one on right with longer leaves.

8831595e.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Gorgeous hybrids.... David has a great cold hardy collection of palms and nursery! Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Note the excess fiber on the 3 gallons ---- this is what I see on my--- I think the fiber is the intermediate between thorns and bare petioles----

Freaky palm guy pointed out the twisted petioles also ---

Best regards

Ed

Ed thats amazingly very fast growth for you, and JLeVert awesome palms, you both have twice the growing season than me. :) But I think mine should take off in a few years. One of them is going in part shade.