IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tall Manilians/Adonida merrilli

bubba

The tallest ones I have ever seen are at FTG in the rain forest area. They have to have at least 40' of trunk.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

No suprise that Fairchild would have some monsters. I would like to see pictures of any tallsters anyone on the Board can post.

What you look for is what is looking

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to freeze them beyond growing more than 15 metres ?? :)

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

seems to me that most floridians feel the same way about adonidias as socalians do about washies:

:sick:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Here's is my "tallest" one. It's been outside in a pot since March 2008, and has seen 34-35F in that time. Neighbor's washies and my queen for "scale".

post-662-012920100 1290638492_thumb.jpg

post-662-023355900 1290638518_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Here Adonida merrilli is such a commonly planted palm probably due to the fact that it fits into almost anyone's garden or property, big or small and it is an attractive smaller size palm but it eventually does get tall. I've never planted one as I can enjoy them all around me. Infact I don't even have a local picture of one, thinking to myself, why take a pic of such a commonly seen palm? Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them, I do like them, but I think you can see why I don't have one.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I actually find A. merrillii to be a very attractive palm when tall. They are so common as small landscape plants that some landscapers call them "Dwarf Royals". The truth is these palms grow in rainforest canopy and the ones at Fairchild look very much at home.

Bubba, it looks like the ones in the second photo you posted are flipping you the bird. :)

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Here Adonida merrilli is such a commonly planted palm probably due to the fact that it fits into almost anyone's garden or property, big or small and it is an attractive smaller size palm but it eventually does get tall. I've never planted one as I can enjoy them all around me. Infact I don't even have a local picture of one, thinking to myself, why take a pic of such a commonly seen palm? Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them, I do like them, but I think you can see why I don't have one.

Al is right. A. merrilli and Roystonia are probably the most common palms in Kona. So much so that there is almost one or the other on every block. However, I've never seen any here as tall as the ones in everyone's photos, so it was great to see them.

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Here is the tallest one I have seen in Cali.........It is in my cube at work been there for about 4 or 5 years. :drool:

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Here is the tallest one I have seen in Cali.........It is in my cube at work been there for about 4 or 5 years. :drool:

Lets try this again, here you go!

post-429-085769600 1290678396_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

I like their look when they get tall also. They take on some of that Seuss weird look of old Bottlers and Spindlers.Beyond that, they have to be old to obtain that heighth.For the most part, these Palms fit their niche quietly at about 10 feet tall.

I do not know if some of the oldsters that have obtained heighth are from a different gene pool but in Florida many of our Palms and trees are not as tall as one would suspect. I attribute that to Hurricuns,lightning strikes and lethal yellowing.Actually these tall Manillians should show the many that are unfamiliar with lethal yellowing that it is not as certain as "the books" lead you to believe. These Palms have to be 50 years old so they made it through the major event of LY in Florida.

I remember when Stallone moved to Miami briefly he recognized short Washies on his new property.Forget about it.He quickly imported some tall boys from Cali. I do not know if lightning has struck those yet.

One strange exception to tall Washies in Florida can be observed at Everglades City, which used to be the County seat of Collier County before Hurricun Donna caused the Colliers to decide to move the seat to Naples. Around the old Courthouse and in several surrounding areas there are very tall Washies of equal dignity to Cali style.I have no idea what contributes to this odd anomaly.

Christian, They were!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

What you look for is what is looking

• 5 years later...
5 hours ago, bubba said:

Still growing

and photos? Thanks.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

this house has some very tall Adonidia for central florida. photos taken 4 or 5 years ago. they also have a very tall coconut....possibly pre 89.

IS-1v4gl0yk2f5ul.jpg

IS-2y8fgb87vzod.jpg

Edited by empireo22
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...