IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 12th Annual Fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- October 1st, 2nd & 3rd 2010 -●●- S. Florida

Palmarum

you'da thought it was brides-to-be at Filenes Basement...Croton Panic !!

Got some spectacular crotons & palms, even a few broms...spent what i thought i'd spend

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Not the dreaded Croton Panic!!!!!! :drool:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty, the Dypsis arenarum has filne leaflets and looks sort of silvery. A very different and attractive palm. I forgot the camera, otherwise would have come home with a photo.

I suffered museum overload with all the Dypsises. It was nice to see a bunch of D. carlsmithii (which posed for some great photos in the current issue of Palms). In my yard, it's kind of a slow grower, but makes a beautiful trunkless specimen. Now that I know what they look like in the wild, I want trunk, pronto.

Your smiling mug was on one of the Searle palm info cards.

At 11am or so, it was impressive seeing how many info cards were going back into the files (Mooseknuckles serving as file clerk). The croton area looked as if the Visigoths had finished sacking it. I guess maybe half the plants were remaining. Congratulations to the Searles on pulling off such a great croton sale with everything reliably labeled and very nicely propagated. I expect there will still be some good plants left Saturday morning.

I'm kicking myself for not bringing home a nice, big Kentiopsis. There's a nice one in the neighborhood, and I think I've got the space, but I haven't started work on the bed and there's already a waiting list of plants looking for new quarters. So maybe the time to install new palms is fall.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

The super rare crotons are gone. There were 1, 2 or 3 of those and they were all gone by 8:06 am. The gates opened promptly at 8:00 am. When you factor in the time to walk from the gate to the croton area, all were snatched up in record time. Jeff and his gaggle of voluteers were incredible. You hollered out what you were looking for and they pointed it out imediately. Another path through the croton section coupled with all the volunteers concentrated in the area created a plesantly controlled kaos. It was amazing to see that much plant material move that quickly. B)

Now there remain some rare and very uncommon croton cultivars. Over 500 crotons were put out for yesterday. I estimate that there may be 100 remaining in the shade house. Some fabulous collectible gems are still waiting to color up someones lucky garden. :wub:

Dave-Vero - it was great to meet you yesterday. It is shocking that you did not go for the Kentiopsis. It was longingly looking at you hoping it was getting adopted by a palm-a-holic with a fabulous garden. :blink:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I see this now that I'm back? You owe me a beer in Thailand.

Jeff does not You Jerry. I missed the catered lunch. :)

Will there be any free food on Friday? Us fat middle aged guys need to eat!

Edited by tikitiki

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

I do not know how I spent more on crotons than palms. My wife was happy but I kept looking at the car confused. I still am. I might need to drive back down today and right a wrong. I think It had to do with Borgey, he kept handing my wife plants.

• Upvote 1

I do not know how I spent more on crotons than palms. My wife was happy but I kept looking at the car confused. I still am. I might need to drive back down today and right a wrong. I think It had to do with Borgey, he kept handing my wife plants.

The Borg certainly knows his stuff about crotons. Luckily I am closer and I am heading back in a few minutes. There are a couple of cycads I passed on that is bothering me. :blink:

It is always entertaining to hang out with Jim and Judy Glock also! Palms vs. Crotons. :lol:

Well he does know how to put them In my cart. LOL. Going to plant now.

The Borg certainly knows his stuff about crotons. Luckily I am closer and I am heading back in a few minutes. There are a couple of cycads I passed on that is bothering me. :blink:

It is always entertaining to hang out with Jim and Judy Glock also! Palms vs. Crotons. :lol:

Moose Knuckle, I managed to frame my internal debate about getting a Kentiopsis the wrong way.

Rather than (correctly) figuring that the spot for which I was looking for a palm wouldn't quite hold a Kentiopsis, I should have focused on the chance to get such a highly suitable, under-planted, under-available palm being available, and there being an excellent prospect of finding a home for it in the yard. Sure enough, there's a suitable spot, currently occupied by an under-performing Rhapis excelsa (it's not a Searle plant--I have a bunch of beautiful Rhapis species from Searle).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Jeff I hope you post some more pictures of your sale to tease us that arent able to make it to Ft. Lauderdale. I swear I'm going to hit your sale next year.

Jody

Chilliwack British Columbia

Zone 8/9 until 3 years ago. Now Zone 6b.

Don't even get me started.

MattyB

Not the dreaded Croton Panic!!!!!!...

The Croton Panic seemed contagious as it went from person to person in the croton section. I took 300 photos during the first 10 minutes of Friday morning. I am thinning the photos down now while getting them ready to be posted.

Zayin

Jeff I hope you post some more pictures of your sale to tease us that arent able to make it to Ft. Lauderdale. I swear I'm going to hit your sale next year.

The photos are coming soon, as I am editing them and picking out the best ones for posting.

Ryan

South Florida

MattyB

Not the dreaded Croton Panic!!!!!!...

The Croton Panic seemed contagious as it went from person to person in the croton section. I took 300 photos during the first 10 minutes of Friday morning. I am thinning the photos down now while getting them ready to be posted.

Zayin

The photos are coming soon, as I am editing them and picking out the best ones for posting.

Ryan

Hi Ryan - great to see you & Jeff again. I swear the croton insanity is amazing, it was like a feeding frenzy in there. I personally spent 3 or 4 times what I budgeted for hehe. This seems to happen, oh about twice a year - March & October :lol:

We barely had room for palms in the car. Yes, we also got palms :D

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Absolute madness!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Bill - I must defer to Palmarun (Ryan) on your subjection. :winkie:

Like I told Jeff last week, the croton madness during the opening hour of the sale has overtaken the palms.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Like I told Jeff last week, the croton madness during the opening hour of the sale has overtaken the palms.

Definitely a "South Florida thing", as I suspect croton survival rates fall off precipitously as you move north towards Georgia.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Definitely a "South Florida thing", as I suspect croton survival rates fall off precipitously as you move north towards Georgia.

They're so sensitive. I found that, if they're not exposed to temps in the 40's, they don't lose color over winter. But if they are, it takes awhile before they color back up.

But they're are some very old ones in my neighborhood up in St. Pete. We've owned our house here for over 20 years, and down the road there are a couple of very old, big crotons, which were there even before we moved here, framing a front door of a tiny house - they're under light canopy of an oak with the house behind them - and they survived last winter just fine.

One looks like arrowhead - dunno what the other is. A few streets over, someone has a huge gold dust, that's been around forever. But I think the only safe way to grow them here is under canopy, and I doubt you can grow them reliably too far north of here.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

• 4 months later...

My credit carrd No.s XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,feed me. :lol:

YES! :D I am afraid this could be a very good chance to spend too much money just for palms.

Does anyone here offer international shipping?

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)