IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 12th Annual Fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- October 1st, 2nd & 3rd 2010 -●●- S. Florida

Palmarum

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection® presents...

The 12th Annual Fall Plant Extravaganza!

October 1st, 2nd & 3rd 2010

╠═══════════════════════════════════════════════╣

post-24-12839865967786_thumb.jpg post-24-12839866184491_thumb.jpg post-24-12839866373842_thumb.jpg

Even as I type this ad for the upcoming Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza, I am already receiving a message in regards to what plants will be available. That is the type of excitement that surrounds the fall plant season in South Florida, especially for some of the plant groups that have become prominently featured in the fall including crotons, flowering trees and of course palms. The selection and variety of all three groups have been increased during the summer, with special attention given to croton cultivars which have exploded in growth over the summer months. Certain plant groups have had their sale areas expanded to allow for more diversity. The frenzy of the previous Fall Extravaganza's Friday morning rush just one year ago is fresh in many minds, and it should be even more intense this October as many will not want to be late at the gate.

The spring and fall Plant Extravaganzas have become a great way for IPS Members, Palmtalk Forum Members and fellow tropical palm enthusiasts to meet and greet in the South Florida area. They have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for friends and family. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Spring Extravaganza as I can, but if you see something that is missing and should be added, please let me know…

South Florida Location:

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.

6640 SW 172nd Avenue

Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331

Western Broward County

see map below...

Fall 2010 Schedule:

Friday, October 1st - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Saturday, October 2nd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Sunday, October 3rd - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

- Our Famous Free BBQ Lunch: (Saturday 11:00AM - 2:00PM) – (Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM)

post-24-12839862319442_thumb.jpg post-24-12839862567512_thumb.jpg post-24-12839862861525_thumb.jpg

Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681

Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750

Nursery Website: www.rainforestcollection.com

Jeff Searle #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com Private Message: PM Jeff Searle

Ryan Email: rdgpalm@bellsouth.net

Directions:

This is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the county. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines, as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. Follow the link below for a satellite map of the nursery's location:

Link: Google Maps - Searle Brothers Nursery,Inc.

scan0004.jpg

post-24-12839881356765_thumb.jpg post-24-12839881589613_thumb.jpg post-24-12839881907047_thumb.jpg

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:

For plant availability, a copy of the ever-growing list of palms, cycads, crotons and other information regarding which plants will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process will start soon and will continue right up to the last day before the Extravaganza, (sometimes even on the mornings of the event if the need applies.) Special selections might be pulled for sale with suggestions, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species and varieties that will be only available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly in the morning hours, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Certain plant groups have been moved around the sales area, relocated, or added in with others, so in order to speed your way to your favorite plants, ask a nearby volunteer as to their location.

Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale which I would be able to post for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email with the name(s) if you would like photos of specific plants or members of a plant genus. Sale booklets will be made available at the Extravaganza; they will include the list of palms, cycads and crotons for sale. Holders located at both entrances to the main shade house will have the booklets on display. As soon as I have a basic list of species and varieties for sale, I will be able to email it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.

post-24-12839871039736_thumb.jpg post-24-12839871286618_thumb.jpg post-24-12839871563592_thumb.jpg

Selected Plant Groups:

Palms:

Aroids:

Bamboo:

Bromeliads:

Begonias:

Cycads:

Crotons:

Cordylines:

Ferns:

Heliconias, Gingers:

Orchids:

Tropical Flowering Trees, Shrubs and Vines:

Landscape Ornamentals:

Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:

and more: There is always a chance a new & exotic species of tropical plant will make its way into the sales area.

post-24-12839876193225_thumb.jpg post-24-12839876550101_thumb.jpg post-24-12839876865051_thumb.jpg

The Sale Flyer:

The nursery will mail out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list starting soon. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to me with your address.

Plant Carts:

We do provide a limited amount of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. They do go quickly in the morning of each day as soon as the gates open. During the day when they are returned from the holding area or the parking lot, they are placed back on the concrete pad across from the registers.

post-24-12839859196018_thumb.jpg post-24-12839859434994_thumb.jpg post-24-12839859673022_thumb.jpg

Accommodations:

There is a very nice hotel within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers, volunteers and family members in the past who travel a long way to reach the Extravaganza and who require a comfortable place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. (see map above...) If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Link: Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines

╔══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╦══╗

╠══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬══╣

╚══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩══╝

Previous Extravaganza:

The 12th Annual Spring Plant Extravaganza was cold, very cold. It was a benchmark in what was already one of the coldest winters in South Florida history. Many customers and Forum members braved the chill to be the first in line on Friday morning to have a shot at the rarest of the rare. I remember it very well and I don't need the photos to remember the arctic feeling, but for those wanting to reminisce, follow the link below to recap the frost and fun. The hard winter that hit a few months prior gave us a unique opportunity to cold test some of the newer palm species with many surprises.

Link: 12th Annual Spring Extravaganza

- Remember how cold it was?

RDG2010-03-05_08-24-47.jpg

- We had our fill of BS that spring...

RDG2010-03-06_14-27-23.jpg

- The planting spirit was high even with the unexpected cold weather, it was also fueled with a steady supply of BBQ food.

RDG2010-03-06_13-26-59.jpg

Information and Invitation:

If you need any more details regarding plants, directions, or anything that I have not included above, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. Feel free to post any messages, questions, etc. in this topic. Jeff Searle, I and all the family members and volunteers look forward to meeting new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at the upcoming Extravaganza. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other Forum members at the event as well, possibly walking right past you down an aisle or grabbing for the same plant. We have been repeatedly surprised at the distances covered by some of our customers. The entire Searle family and the masses of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant.

We hope to see you there!

:)

post-24-12839853652546_thumb.jpg post-24-1283985648452_thumb.jpg post-24-12839856693226_thumb.jpg

╠═══════════════════════════════════════════════╣

Ryan

South Florida

Is the kid in the red shirt being pulled around in the nursery cart going to be there?

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Ryan, I look forward to attending my first Extravaganza!

Even though I can't buy anything, it will be fun to have a look around.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Is the kid in the red shirt being pulled around in the nursery cart going to be there?

I think for now its only a spring thing... :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm going to be in Florida 2 weeks before this sale. I really wish I would have planned my trip better and included this. Oh well. One day I will make it to one of these.

Will there be any new dypsis never before offered or licualas perhaps? Any new Species in general?

Tom

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

tikitiki

Will there be any new dypsis never before offered or licualas perhaps? Any new Species in general?

Tom

There are always a few new species that make their way into the sale. They are either brand new ones or species that haven't been offered for a significant period of time. I will know for sure which ones they may be when the palm and cycad list is finalized, perhaps in a week or so (crosses fingers). When I have to add the name to the main list, it usually means its a new species.

- Dypsis sp. unknown 5 gal {$125.00} This is an example of one such new species that will be for sale. The seed were collected during one of the trips to Madagascar, obviously, the palm resided in dense forest and was in one of those situations where plants were crowded on top of each other and many of the smaller palms had very long petioles that shot their leaves upwards through the canopy.

RDG2010-09-14_10-34-21.jpg

- It almost resembles a Ravenea in general appearance. Larger specimens grown in the same grouping have very long, extended petioles almost half the length of the leaf or greater. Their light exposure levels have remained constant. They seem more than ready to send up those tall leaves.

RDG2010-09-14_10-34-14.jpg

- A closeup of the leaf bases shows a whitish, newly emergent petiole and rachis with a liberal coating of scales. A couple of the newer petioles are beginning to show darker, longitudinal striated markings, like those seen on palms we know as D. ovobontsira or D. nauseosa. Neato.

RDG2010-09-14_10-34-32.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Satakentia liukiuensis - 1 gal - {$20.00} One of the more recent requests, kept them coming and I will get the plants photographed if they will be for sale.

RDG2010-09-14_10-24-00.jpg

- Satakentia liukiuensis - 7 gal - {$100.00}

RDG2010-09-14_10-28-01.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Dypsis prestoniana - 7 gal - {$250.00} - A popular species of Dypsis by far. This will be the largest of the group for sale and is taller than Jeff...

RDG2010-09-14_10-38-53.jpg

- Thick, stout leaf bases and petioles is an understatement. It is amazing how large they are on a palm of this size.

RDG2010-09-14_10-37-57.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Crotons! The expectant arrival of a large variety of croton cultivars has become an popular sub-event of the Fall Extravaganzas. Here is one group of them as they await the move over to the sales area. The vast majority are in 3 gallon pots and will each have a lavender tag with the name and price.

** The Croton list is finalized and anyone wishing to have a copy only needs to send me a message or email and I will forward it on to you. It might get changed slightly, as it often does, but it is about 98% complete.

RDG2010-09-14_10-48-04.jpg

- "Hmm. Maybe I will keep that one for the yard."

RDG2010-09-14_10-48-16.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

jeff are those long short pants or short long pants? :blink:

Exactly. :hmm:

Besides, why were you looking down there? :rage:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I stopped by the Searle Nursery last month and things were looking good, most of the plants had recovered from the cold winter/spring. I am not really a croton guy, but was impressed by the collection. Unfortunately I will not be able to drop in for the Fall sale. What a pity. Good luck Jeff.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Jeff- is that Pete Presto or a Jeff Marcus Presto? I'm guessing Mr Marcus.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

jeff are those long short pants or short long pants? :blink::wub:

Besides, why were you looking down there? :blush:

:sick:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Thanks for the pics and yes keep them coming. I'll need the GPS location of that Dypsis.

:blink: All those plants and thats what Paul noticed?

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Jeff- is that Pete Presto or a Jeff Marcus Presto? I'm guessing Mr Marcus.

It's my palm....at my sale.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I stopped by the Searle Nursery last month and things were looking good, most of the plants had recovered from the cold winter/spring. I am not really a croton guy, but was impressed by the collection. Unfortunately I will not be able to drop in for the Fall sale. What a pity. Good luck Jeff.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the kind words. There's still hope that your interest in crotons will peak. Just grow less orchids in that collection of yours. :D

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the kind words. There's still hope that your interest in crotons will peak. Just grow less orchids in that collection of yours. :D

Robert

I have run out of palms to buy...now crotons. They add better color than orchids

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Robert

Robert

I have run out of palms to buy...now crotons. They add better color than orchids

I'm outrunning you to the croton area this year Mike! :mrlooney:

After I get the 26 cultivars I need on the list! :drool:

• Upvote 1

Ron...two questions

Do you have the room ??

Have you seen the list...and you have all but 26 ?? Amazing

Mike - I compared last years list with this years. Those that were not available last year but are available this year are on my list unless I already have one. In addition, my wish list also contains the ones that Jeff may have only one or two each year. In other words, I am trying to acquire the harder to come by cultivars first. Just my game plan and with my limited resources. :)

If he had a Richard Krokonis, I would be swinging a baseball bat to get that one, as would all the other collectors! :drool:

See you Friday morning! :mrlooney:

moose knuckle

...If he had a Richard Krokonis, I would be swinging a baseball bat to get that one, as would all the other collectors!...

See you Friday morning!...

I predict some interesting photos for Friday morning, with or without melee weapons.

Ryan

South Florida

moose knuckle

...If he had a Richard Krokonis, I would be swinging a baseball bat to get that one, as would all the other collectors!...

See you Friday morning!...

I predict some interesting photos for Friday morning, with or without melee weapons.

Ryan

At least Bill Sanford won't be hitting on Jeff's customers looking for a South Florida ranch hand! :blink:

Moose :floor:

I've come to embrace my issues. :)

Junglegalfla has been sending me challenging PM's. :lol:

I think she may have gotten bitten by the croton bug real bad. :rolleyes:

She is even flying in Jeff Anderson from Costa Rica to be her co-conspirator in the croton mosh pit.

Mike Harris is rumored to be assembling a micro army!

Marie and Steve Nock are implimenting their stategies.

Tampa Ray and Judy Glock are joining forces.

And we are only talking about the croton area. :blink:

Ryan (Palmarum) is our croton war correspondent, should be interesting to say the least. :greenthumb:

In what role capacity will I be in? :unsure: And with all this talk about crotons, is there any interest in palm species? I think I will have a good selection, Dypsis,Copernicia,Licualas,oh my.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

In what role capacity will I be in? :unsure: And with all this talk about crotons, is there any interest in palm species? I think I will have a good selection, Dypsis,Copernicia,Licualas,oh my.

Jeff, I'm all in for palms.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Junglegalfla has been sending me challenging PM's. :lol:

I think she may have gotten bitten by the croton bug real bad. :rolleyes:

She is even flying in Jeff Anderson from Costa Rica to be her co-conspirator in the croton mosh pit.

Ron, I will be there only to observe and to check out all the great palms for sale that I wish I could take back with me!

No Croton mosh pit for me... :)

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

jeff are those long short pants or short long pants? :blink:

Besides, why were you looking down there? :rage:

i have the brain capacity to be able to look at a picture & see and/or notice MANY or ALL of the details held within said photo. B)

i thought this was a common ability in our species(well,MINE at least) but i now suspect i was wrong. :o

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

- Cyrtostachys renda, Red Sealing Wax Palm - 10 gal - {$850.00}

RDG2010-09-20_11-54-49.jpg

RDG2010-09-20_11-55-00.jpg

- Phoenix rupicola, Cliff Date Palm - 7 gal - {$35.00}

RDG2010-09-20_11-38-05.jpg

RDG2010-09-20_11-38-12.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Corypha umbraculifera, Talipot Palm - 3 gal - {$45.00}

RDG2010-09-20_11-36-16.jpg

- Cocos nucifera, Green Malayan Coconut Palm - 25 gal - {$75.00}

RDG2010-09-20_11-20-34.jpg

- Copernicia prunifera, Carnauba Wax Palm - 10 gal - {$75.00}

RDG2010-09-20_11-35-08.jpg

RDG2010-09-20_11-35-25.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Tahina spectabilis - DP - {$100.00}

RDG2010-09-20_11-26-34.jpg

- Tahina spectabilis - 7 gal - {$300.00}

RDG2010-09-20_11-27-48.jpg

- Lower, side view of same plant above...

RDG2010-09-20_11-27-58.jpg

- Tahina spectabilis - 10 gal - {$750.00} Deluxe Edition

RDG2010-09-20_11-29-55.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Anthurium faustomirandae, Faustino's Giant Anthurium - 1 gal - {$15.00}

RDG2010-09-20_11-08-21.jpg

- Plants will often get a new pink or gold emergent leaf.

RDG2010-09-20_11-08-38.jpg

- This is what a larger one will look like after a few years. This one is not for sale, but will be on display.

RDG2010-09-09_11-06-16.jpg

Ryan

South Florida