IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

acrocomia

palmster

Wallace - you should use a nylon strap (choker) around the stem, not chain. huh.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Wallace -

Didn't think about the thorns with the nylon strap issue. I love this palm once the leaf bases give up their hold.

Mine has flowered the last two years but has been aborting the fruit.

Hope someone steps forward and trades for your well grown Acrocomia.

Best regards, smilie.gif

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to have that thing for Halloween......it looks evil :evil:

What do you reckon something like that would sell for?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great! I'd love to grow one...but "cold hardy" in 9b-10a isn't necessarily hardy in 8b-9a, especially after last January. Has anybody successfully grown these in N. Florida-S. Georgia? I would definitely like to try, if it is reasonable.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Looks great! I'd love to grow one...but "cold hardy" in 9b-10a isn't necessarily hardy in 8b-9a, especially after last January. Has anybody successfully grown these in N. Florida-S. Georgia? I would definitely like to try, if it is reasonable.

I am not sure abot your zone. I have several and they didn't suffer any burn this past winter. Maybe someone on the other forum would know.

Wallace Stanley

My linkEmail me

Floridas Best Trees

I have 3 up in Jax one from PR seeds one from Matto grosso du sul seeds and one from mexican seeds

they are harddy to 9a ---- plants were lost in 89 freeze but this was 16 f.

Hope this helps

Ed Brown

The Southeastern Palm Society has one planted at the Bamboo Farm in Savannah. If you are on one of the islands you probably are a half zone milder than the Bamboo farm. I think it would be worth it to give it a try. Take a look at the first picture in the link.

http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/msg/1286841429.html

Charlotte, North Carolina z7b

Hello, I have two of these palms for sale or trade. The smallest is 10' oa and the larger one is 14' oa. $50.00 per/foot oa. Picked up here at my nursery in Bartow Florida. PM me if you are interested.

Wallace Stanley

My linkEmail me

Floridas Best Trees